“very nice 3*”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Me and my boyfriend travelled here on 24/11/12 until 08/11/12. When we first arrived we were greeted with a rum punch cocktail, then headed to our room. My first impression on the room was great the biggest bed iv ever stayed in. Our first 2 days there was quite a bhig rain storm (hell load of rain) some of the cottages were flooded but ours didnt. We stayed in one of the garden cottages and had the peacocks visit everyday.

In the morning we went to breakfast and walked along the beach. The beach is nice but when you look and think of the carribean you picture clear blue seas and white sand. Its a shame this place doesnt have this. As being on the north coast it gets quite rough which the sea was while we stayed and only 2/3 days could we go out snorkelling or glass bottom boat.

The jettys again have had a slight battering, we were told hurricane sandy did a lot of damage as the jettys had collapsed in the sea and the rails had come off. Again this made the place look very run down. The far beach by the delta jasmine restaurant was closed as well due to the hurricane nocking the roof tiles off.

As for the food wednesday and Saturdays is Jamaican night and the food is amazing!! curried goat, jerk pork and chicken loads of post i managed to put on 10lbs whist here and the food was great! Breakfast changed I loved the breakfast sausage chipolata and mushroom and cheese roll. Drinks were great loads of cocktails and rum punch.

Whilst staying here we did a few different trips. the bob marley 9 mile. This was great (wouldnt take kids) you see a lot and drink a few bob marley shots.

appleton rum factory with YS falls and black river - this trip was my favourite the rum tour was fantastic with loads of rum to try out. The falls was lovely and blue with a rope swing and the black river was amazing you are on here as the sun sets so can get some amazing pictures.

blue mountain bike ride - for the cost of this excurtion i wouldnt recomend the ride down was good but for 112$ its a little pricey.

dunns river - this was a good trip, however I thing they have added man made bits around the falls for thiopse who find it hard to walk up.

The people in Jamaica are so friendly so I dont believe you would be in trouble if you were to leave the resort. I just loved buying everything out there, is so much wood and lovely necklaces and ornaments.

**one thing I did not like about this hotel was the fun club - there young jamaicans - these guys are rude. we were by one of the beach venders and a girl came up from the fun club and just took something from them and gave it to a guest without paying and shouted "you got a problem ill go tell management".

Again when you play bingo with these guys they take the things you win like the necklaces and wooden ornaments from the beach venders (who have spent hours making them to SELL) so please if you do visit go and see them and buy something help them out there by the jetty bar.

Overall lovely hotel and great staff Shane who works in the restaurant is a lovely and chatty man! I would probably not go back here as it did look a little run down unfortunately.

8  Thank Pepper1990

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed here in June, 2012. The hotel is situated on a large garden setting property. I traveled with my husband and toddler daughter. We needed an area for our child to play. They do have a play area near the gym. They also have a nanny service, where you can drop off your child. However, my daughter was less than two years old at the time, and I believe the age was about three and up. You can definitely clarify that ascertain the age limit. We didn't stay in the hut, we stayed one of the rooms across from the gym. These rooms are average. No fancy furniture, but clean with flat screen TV.

The property has a general pool area where kids can go, however, there's another pool area for only adults, because you can go topless in that area. The food was good for most part, however, I stayed there for seven days, and after that they repeat the food, so you want to try other things outside of the resort. The swinging bar at the beach was awesome. There are a lot of cats running around on the property though, just to make mention. If you are not a fan of cat, then this can be annoying. Management told me they are strayed cats that come for the food, and they just leave them there. You have to be prepared to tip a lot there. I am not a mean person, but it can be overwhelming. I stayed at a Super Clubs Resort in Negril, and they do not accept tipping. I believe too much tipping will lead to poor service, because there might be guests who do not generally tip, and then the servers tend to target the guests who will tip, and serve them first. Overall the staff is friendly and courteous. Made a few friends there. Great entertainment for most of the night. If you want, you can also go to their sister resort, Royal Decameron Fun Caribbean just a few blocks down the street and try out their food, entertainment, and amenities as well at no extra charge.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Trudy F
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Royal Decameron has changed. For a supposedly all inclusive hotel, they nickle and dime you for everything. When you book on sites such as *dot com sites*, as they refer to it at the front desk, they give you the low class rooms. these are the rooms in the back, near the construction or by the parking lot. The first room I was given, was way in the back. I called this the *ghetto* area of the hotel. They call it the gardenview. NOT! Overhangs were hanging, and you could tell that they had been left dislevelled for a long time. Dirt, was just sitting on top of the red overhangs. I had to firmly remind myself, that since I dont live in the ghetto, and I live in a very nice suburban area where I dont even lock my car doors at nite, I should not accept the ghetto section of the hotel. I ended up having to pay *extra* to stay in a decent area of the hotel. Shame on you Royal Decameron!
Another nickle and dime aspect is the fact that you have to pay for internet! All inclusive hotel, and they charge for internet?. The best and worst hotels, in america gives free internet. their rational is that the hotel is priced way cheaper than others (????) . I think that they may be looking at what they are actually being paid thru the dot com sites, but they are not paying attention to what we, the consumers are actually paying. We are paying a lot more than they realize.
Visiting hours end at 6pm each day. Friends of guests are not allowed on the property after then. ?? Absolutely absurd! I didnt realize that I would be held hostage (a paying guest) after 6pm and no one would see me while I was there. They dont offer to locate a guest if their friends or families happen to stop by for a visit. I felt like I was in prison. I was irrate at these *regulations* and I felt that the poor employees had to adhere or be fired. I had to end my dinner,and walk down to the front to *rescue* my best friend, who had traveled from Kingston to Runaway bay to visit the night before I left. She also felt humilitated by the rules and regulations, and she doesnt live here. She is a nurse in London , England, who was visiting the country at the same time as myself. I had not seen her in over 35 years. She decided to stay the nite so that we could catch up, and had to pay $75 dollars extra to stay in my room that was already paid for! smh...

Nickle and dime, nickle and dime. Royal Decameron Club Caribbean, nickles and dimes...

this was my second time staying at this resort. First time was great, but it seems as if it has new owners who may not fully understand the concept of keeping the customers happy at any cost. Royal Decameron, these are the ones that become *repeat customers* and repeat customers are the ones that keep you in business. . Sorry Royal Decameron, I dont like feeling belittled and degraded, and being offered the worst rooms expecially when the hotel was NOT even full. I will take my business elsewhere and I highly suggest you guys do the same too!

Room Tip: None. cant figure out their rationale to giving a good room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
13  Thank erlich5
Reviewed December 19, 2012

“ Disappointed”

A 3* at best. We usually travel to the Royal Decameron Complex in Puerto Vallarta in November and we wanted a change. We expected this resort would be of same standards but we were very disappointed , Royal Decameron has a lot of work to do here. We found the rooms old and in need of a lot of repair. In fact one night I was taking a shower and the cap for the shower turn on flew off and water was spraying all over the bathroom ! I put some of my clothes in the dresser provided in the room only to discover after a few days they smelt so musty they needed to be thrown out on our return home. The beach is small....very small and roped off like a children section so not much area for swimming in the ocean. We found the A la carte restaurants below standard and only ate in them one night each...and that was enough. The food in the buffet was edible but nothing to get too excited about. I was thankful there was a pasta bar most nights. The snack bar which they advertise being open 24 hrs was only open one day during our stay , the Sat. after we arrived. As my husband had just gotten over a small battle with cancer this year I was concerned about a late flight home and him getting overtired , and having to check out of our room at noon we had a long day.I approached the front desk early in the week asking if we could have a late check out time. I was assured that was O.K. with a fee of $25.00 per person and I agreed that was fine. I was told to come up the day of departure to pay. The day of departure I again approached the desk only to be told they were very busy and late check out was not possible. We ended up sitting in the lobby all afternoon so my husband could stay rested.
We would never book this resort again and for the money you can find better resorts in Jamaica in our opinion. I will also add to this review that we travel south 2x a year since 1989 so we are seasoned travelers and have been to many other resorts to be able to make this comparisons.

Room Tip: try another resort
6  Thank Connie S
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Amazing. I frequent the island, and would never consider staying in the same plave twice, until I found this gem. Stayed for 2 weeks, and not once were we sick of the food - and I'm picky. The grounds are stunning, lush and tropical. Everyone is fantastic, I have never been to a hotel in jamaica with staff like this, made some truly wonderful friends.
The huts are so cute. Very clean, no problems with hot water or bugs or anything like that.
The beach is a bit tough to snorkel (lazy man style lol) but wander out the gate, to the left and walk to Salem public beach - 7 min walk.
Seriously, not one complaint. I recommend this hotel, and their wonderful staff to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was our first trip to Jamaica and we already want to go back!
The resort was fantastic. It is older and on the smaller side and that's what makes it so much better than the mega resorts where you get herded around like cattle.
Everything was very clean from the huts to the common area washrooms.
The food was very good and the evening entertainment was lots of fun. Watching the beach volleyball was hilarious and a highlight of our afternoons.
The Jetty Bar was one of our favorite hangouts, the huge deck is awsome and I loved the bar swings.
The staff is super friendly and polite. The front desk was always helpful. When we arrived, our toilet was stopped up. Before I could make it back from the front desk a maintenance man was already at our hut and had it running again.
The tours were good. We got to see so much of the island!
So don't believe the bad reviews. This resort was a super fun and relaxing vacation. No problem mon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Heidi B
Reviewed December 9, 2012

3rd time here room was ready never asked to go to the other resort(which was good).. Still had a great time in Jamaica, I haven't been at the RDCC since 09 only prob bar opens too late!! 10am would be better, the food is the best on Jamaican night Wed and Sat night. I didnt swim in the beach here only at the quit pool, I went up the street to Flavors,, better beach no water shoes required food and music is good. Great atmosphere here at flavors..The only complaint is RDCC ran out of Appleton rum each night around 12am Dont believe the bad reviews, I will be back July !!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#25 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!