“Where did it all go wrong” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Decameron Club Caribbean

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Canvey island
“Where did it all go wrong”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

Lets start pre travel. Our family have been coming to this hotel for the last 12 years and alarm bells were sounding after reading reviews. I contacted First choice our tour operator before travelling after reading reviews of the RDCC we were directed to Thomson the parent company. After voicing our concerns they tried to tell us they were not aware of any problems at the hotel. After 14 Emails Thomson still refused to give me a guarantee that we would get the beach front cottages that we had paid for.
The flight to Jamaica was ok but not worth the extra £249 upgrade to premium class. Seats needed new padding as they became uncomfortable after about 1 hour. Food was bad I have had better microwaved meals. The flight home was a complete waste of money the service from the flight attends was none existent as only 1 drink was offered to us with our meal after that it was if you want anything you have to call and if you were lucky you might get it sometime during the flight my wife is still waiting for a glass of coke and we have been home for 3 days.
RDCC we arrived at the hotel as a wedding party of 19 my family were lucky as we got the ocean front cottages that we had paid for. This was not the same for some of our party and other travellers on the Thomson flight. So far so good the following day after check in we were approached by the general manager and asked if we would like a free upgrade. This was declined as my son and his fiancé had got engaged at this hotel 2 years previous and wanted the wedding to take place here. This was made clear to the GM. Then they upped the pressure the Manager of the fun Caribbean hotel approached us and offered an upgrade to the new hotel the fun Caribbean formerly Hedonism III all 19 of our group were offered ocean facing suits with Jacuzzis, wedding fees returned and free trips around Jamaica. This was once again declined. we later found out that the French tour company had tied RDCC into a contract that carries heavy penalty's if the customers do not get the rooms they had booked. (Thomson please take note) The following day there was a leaflet posted under the door offering us a further upgrade to the RDCC Montego bay. By this time I had had enough I went to reception and confronted the GM he in turn apologised and that was the last of the pressure after this the GM could not have done more to make us feel welcome and he went out of his way to make the wedding extra special thank you Pedro.
As returning customers we found that the food has seriously gone downhill what made this hotel the hidden gem in Jamaica was the little extras these have all been eroded away the service due to staff cuts has declined in the past there would have been 1 waiter to 5 tables it is now 1 to 10 tables the staff work very hard for long hours and all for little pay. This I am afraid to say is not the fault of local management but the fault of the tour operators in fact I do not blame any of the local management or staff for the problems at this hotel the problems with the over booking was a direct result of tour operating companies. The tour operators are forcing these types of hotels into contracts that are impossible to fulfil without dropping standards and overbooking.
The problem with the French is over exaggerated the French staff are a nice group of people if you take the time to talk to them they made my Family feel welcome. That doesn’t mean I agree with why they are there Jamaica is an English speaking country and I think it is insulting to the Jamaican people to be forced to have translators work alongside a more than capable team of entertainment staff in fact the Jamaican team are probably the best on the island lead by Rocky a first rate entertainer. As for the French people as a whole they need to get over themselves let go and learn how to have a good time. If the French do not want to speak English then they should go to a French speaking island there are a few of them in the Caribbean.
The RDCC was a better place when there was a good mixture of all nationality’s in the past there was German, French, Spanish, Dutch, American and Canadian. In Equal numbers and it worked if it isn’t broken don’t fix it.
In summery RDCC please take note the French will soon become bored with this Hotel because it has become just another 3 star hotel somewhere hot. But your returning customers who remember when this hotel offered 5 star service for 3 star price will find a new gem somewhere else then how will you fill your hotel. Don’t let this happen. P.S the reviewer who stated that the large group of British were a bit loud take note this hotel has always been a loud Jamaican family friendly hotel if you wish to have a quite time try Couples or the Maldives. P.s P.s Best Attraction in Jamaica Hook pirate show absolutely Fantastic night out.

Room Tip: Ocean front cottages if you can get one.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank siandvi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

My husband and I have recently returned from our honeymoon at RDCC and have to say we will not go back again. We are not fussy, complaining people and we believe a holiday is what you make of it.
On a positive note, I would first of all like to say that the hotel itself is very nice and certainly a good 3 star, the staff are lovely and very friendly, there is plenty of food but it is rather mediocre although as a 3 star it is about what you might expect. The hotel is very clean and staff are constantly cleaning & tidying. Now for the negatives! We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and both the holiday company and the hotel were aware of this. On arrival we were told that there would be no cottages available for us and several other people until 3 days later and that we had been allocated courtyard rooms. We were extremely disappointed to find that our room was small, basic and more like you might expect for a down market motel room.....not quite the romantic cottage by the beach we had hoped and paid for. The holiday rep was excellent and did manage, after animated conversations with the hotel reception, to get us and one other couple a cottage on the second day and the others had their cottages the day after us. We were then told that although there were cottages available they were reserved for French guests due to arrive at the weekend. A whole group of Canadians arrived by coach 3 days after us to be told there were NO cottages available at all although they had all booked and paid for them. They weren’t given an option and were just shipped off to the sister hotel. Some of them had booked a wedding at RDCC but had to be bussed in for the wedding and then back to the other hotel for their meal. How disappointing for the poor couple. First choice tell us they contract for a certain number of cottages and this is the number they take bookings for which goes to show that the RDCC management have deliberately overbooked their cottages in order to fill the sister hotel. Disgraceful!!!!! The hotel is at the moment being organised to please the French guests. Not only do they get reserved cottages that other people have paid for but they are welcomed in reception by staff at a special table with keys/welcome packs laid out ready for them. The entertainment is geared to them and several evenings the entertainment staff were speaking only French for much of the time so we left and went back to our cottage as we had no idea what was being said. There were issues at the pool with a group of male French guests being disruptive and divebombing into the pool deliberately splashing guests then ignoring the life guards request to stop this behaviour. Some of the staff are fed up with the situation and said to us that they will be glad when the contract with the French holiday company is over at the end of April so things can get back to normal. When a hotel is accepting bookings for cottages that they know won’t be available or are deliberately double booking so many cottages I would call it a scam and I think is an awful way to treat people who have saved all year for their 2 week break only to have it disrupted and spoiled in this way. If you’ve booked this hotel don’t assume you will get the cottage you are expecting but if you do get one then I’m sure you will have a nice holiday at the hotel.......after April.

18 Thank Anita B
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We loved this hotel. our cottage was in the gardens with a huge hammock right outside for chilling when the sun was going dowm. Great selection of food from breackfast right thru til late with hotdogs and burgers late into the niight. Staff very friendly, most especially the bar staff. Water sports included and beach well looked after and constantly cleaned, even when it was busy we never felt like there was to many people. We did the Bob Marley 9 mile tour on the Zion bus, horse riding in the sea and the mystic mountain all of which were fun but the trips can be a costly business.

Room Tip: the cottages are an excellent choice
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank LadyCWirral
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

I just returned from a week in Jamaica and was booked at this hotel. I had read reviews and knew there were lots of complaints about the FRENCH ANIMATION TEAM residing (taking over) the resort but decided to book anyway. Upon arrival I was told by management that the hotel was overbooked (the French have apparently taken over the resort) and that I was being offered an upgrade at a different resort 5 minutes away. They did this to hundreds of people. I was angry at first, but there was nothing I could do, so I went to the new resort called the Decameron Fun Carribean. It was fantastic. The people working there (all Jamaicans except for management of course) were wonderful. The place was spotless, the food was excellent and the entertainment professional and different each night. So even though this is a clear bait and switch it was wonderful. Congratulations to the Jamaican people for making my holiday a superb one.

7 Thank pat121754
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Brief: rustic, low rise, small, good reviews.
Travel background: have been lucky to travel to alot of wonderful places, Thailand, LA, Las Vegas, Jamaica twice previously (stayed at Couples Tower Isle) all over Europe...
We are: mid 30's, like nice food, relaxed atmosphere, quiet scene and early nights..quite boring!

Background
Admittedly like my nice hotels and don't usually go below a 4*. We saw the RDCC and loved it straight away, the unique cottage style accomodation sold it us us straight away and we booked in Sept 11, reviews were excellent and ranked 2 in Runaway bay. Trip Advisor is my bible but I have learnt a vaulable lesson this time as it can also be a curse!
I read all the reviews prior to going (sad i know) and then around Dec saw worrying reviews, very mixed mainly about the 'French Invasion" This worried us so much, not becuase of the French per se, but because of the addition of Club Lookea to the hotel, which made it sound like the hotel had completely changed and lost it's Jamaican vibe. We were so worried we wrote a letter to Thomson head office, rang the company, emailed the hotel and looked at alternatives. I'm so gald we stuck to our instincts and went. We had the most amazing holiday!

Having previously stayed twice at Couples Tower Isle this holiday would take some beating but RDCC wins hands down and if you offered me Couples or RDCC now, i'd choose RDCC no questions asked-i surprised even myself!
Check in was quick and simple (we had prepared a speech/plan in the event of things going wrong, very aprehensive upon arrival) we were greated by friendly reception staff, a rum punch and given our room, to our delight we had been upgraded (booked a garden cottage) to a beach cottage! Thank you Diane for this.
I love everything about this hotel, the cottages are unique and beats any hotel room with marble bathroom, fluffy slippers and complimentay shampoo...we wanted real and rustic and that's what we got. Some reviews stated it was noisy but your sleeping under the stars (virtually) surely it's only "put a smile on your face" stuff...it was for us! The cottage was large, massive bed, big bathroom, big walk in storage area, clean and loads of space. Shower was amazing, hairdryer great. A/C was really cold and ceiling fan was more than adequate.
Maid cleaned daily, fresh towels and fresh flowers-a lovely touch, we tipped her $2 a day.
All cottage are lovely and I would have been happy with any, it's much quieter in the gardens, yes there were dogs barking to the rear. We visited the courtyards after reading so much expecting dungeon style hell hole....it's actually quite nice! Location isnt great as it behind the gidt shop in entrance and the cottages are much nicer. Hibiscous suites also looked lovely.

Beaches are just lovely, clean, raked sand, again can't understand the complaints?! 5 beautiful coves spread out giving a "never that busy" feel to the complex.Water is shallow and warm and on sunny days vey clear but is murky on windy days. Great snorkelling, the cove to the right of the Jetty bar is the best IMO.

Food is wonderful, and again! can't understand the complaints!? The review that sticks in my mind is "if you like your beef and yorkshire pudding you arnt going to like Jamaican night" eh!!? Your in Jamaica, Carribean food is fab, try it all....jerk, bammies, akee and saltfish, plantain, fritters etc....nom nom nom. Always replenished, in two weeks we ever found anything empty or cold.
Breakfasts were great, lots of variety, hot, cold, pastries, breads, fruit. Coffee is wonderful.
Lunch...good buffet or the delta snack bar for lovely Jerk chicken.
Evening...Jamaican night on a Wednesday, Carribean night on a Saturday, our favourites..just wish I could eat more as it was lush!
Only ate in the al a carte's once each as we liked the buffet so much. Seafood was ok, nice to be served and Thai I wasnt too bothered about...I'm in Jamaica I want to eat Jamaican!
There is a great resident band who play every night at lunch and dinner.

Drinks-all top brand liquers, good measures (too good actually) no skimping and service is quick and always with a smile.
Everywhere is so clean, staff are always busy cleaning and tidying. It's the staff that make this hotel, they are wonderful and so friendly.
The gounds and gardens are very green and so pretty, there are hammocks dotted around which is very romantic. There are also peacocks.
The adult pool was fab, very quiet and tranquil. The main pool is more noisy and where all the entertainment happens, we didt go there.

French
Yes there are alot of French, Club Lookea signs around the hotel but it did not affect our holiday in any way. There were no big groups causing trouble, yes people sat together but so did alot of British and Canadians. No stealing of sun loungers. Everyone was friendly and we always said hello in both English and French-this goes along way and we found they were more receptive. Entertainemnt is done in both English and French but the teams work flawlessly together and have it off to a fine art. I could niggle and say on occcassions it did get a little irritating but in no way ruined anything. It did help that two of the French team (Jonad and Jerome) were extremely gorgeous so I was happy to listen and watch (sorry darling!!)
The loudest guests were actually the young British who made me cringe at times! Just to clarify the complaints arn't about the French guests but about the volume of guests, as with any large group arriving.
On the last Friday 120 arrived and if i'm honest it was overwhelming. It was just too busy and turned the resturant into a canteen. Lots of children and young people arrived too (start of half term) and with it came a big,red furry monkey (not a squirrel) at dinner to take the kids to a kids club, i personally didnt like this and felt it degraded the hotel turning into a butlins style.....I understand Decameron need to fil rooms (without the French it was dead) but these little things spoil at fantastic hotel.NB- dont book around half term if this niggles you!
We didnt get involved in the entertainemnt during the day although people did come round and ask. We watched some of the night entertaiment which was good but often would go to the Jetty Bar, have a few drinks and go to bed early-Rock n Roll!
The French do congrigate on the Jetty Bar from 7pm-7.45pm so if it is going to annoy you avoid it as this time, on the plus the dining room is pretty empty due to this so maybe eat then?
If you really want to avoid the French altogether then book May-November.

Trips
We didnt meet the rep, we organised ours privatley with Paul Williams, we spent a full and a half day with him, we did the real Jamaica, visited a local school with supplies we'd donated, Browns Town, Dunns River $20 entrance fee and you dont need a guide, The blue hole is worth a visit if your in Ocho Rios end (great for diving and jumping into a 25ft and 40ft pool, no entrance fee just a tip to boy who helps there) Enchanted Gardens was a lovely trip, lovely waterfalls, again $20 entrance fee (we found most things are $20 entrance fee!!)
It was my boyfriend's birthday whilst we were there and I organised a private horse ride with Hooves which was with a private guide, riding in the sea and then jerk and champagne on the beach...lovely half day would throughly reccomend, it was $200.
At the hotel you can order a birthday cake but I didnt know this, you have to do it 24 hours in advance, sadly I was too late. They did promise to decorate a table for dinner but this didn't happen.

A visit to Lobster Dave's if you like seafood but probably best to go with a local or a guide and agree a price beforehand as it is expensive.
Also a trip to Scotchies for amazing Jerk everything, love it and cheap.

Notes to managment/wish list
Thank you for a wonderful holiday we throughly enjoyed everything and think RDCC is more a 4* than a 3* (minus the club lookea mascot!)
Fridge in rooms
NO smoking in all eating areas even outside.
The Frech Club Lookea man who talks on stage on a Thursday night, could you please expalin to non french speaking guests what he is doing and saying as this annoyed quiet a few of us, i dont mind him addressing the CL guests but at least tell us what's he's saying, he talks for about 10 minutes, we presume about check outs for the Friday?

Would we return? Most definatley. I wouldnt stay anywhere else on that side of the island. I didn't think Couples could be beaten and have raved about it for years but i had a better 'Jamaican' holiday at RDCC so for me, you have beaten your 5* competition!

Please feel free to ask any questions, book it you won't be dissapointed! Irie Mon!!

Melissa & Michael, cottage 13 xx

Room Tip: Beach cottages are great for the experience but can be noisy, we loved ours. All the garden cottage...
19 Thank zipy77
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

We just got back from 2 weeks at this hotel but were disappointed with the snorkeling and beach - it was very windy this year and the ocean was very murky. We could not do any snorkeling. The glass-bottom boat was also broken the whole time and we could not go to the reef to snorkel. We went to Montego Bay for the last few days and the ocean was very clear there and we snorkelled right off the beach.

We stayed in one of the cottages and it was very comfortable. Our friends stayed in the Courtyard rooms and they were bitten by mosquitoes there. The cottage area had no insects and the gardens are beautiful there.

The buffet was very good and had a wide choice of entrees. They even had chocolat croissants for breakfast.

We enjoyed it there but we would verify the state of the ocean before going again as we are avid snorkellers.

Room Tip: I would never stay in the Courtyard rooms - it is worth paying more for a cottage.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LISETTE155004
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

We got back from Jamaica a week ago to find our internet crashed so have had to wait to put this review on. The Royal Decamaron in Runaway Bay was totally amazing! It was exactly like everything we read in the brochure and researched on the internet. We booked it some 7 or 8 months ago and at the time the reviews were really good. However, looking at them again just prior to going we were alarmed by some of the stuff written on them and were a bit worried about going. When we got there we got a fantastic reception, so much help from the girl on the desk, and a welcoming fruit cocktail brought to us while we checked in. We had booked a hut on the beach and that is exactly what we got. The accommodation was fantastic, comfortable beds and such a lot of space and everything we needed, right on the beach! The beaches were so nice, the sea safe for children, really lovely. There seems to have been some concerns about the French taking over the site, well that's not true. Yes, there are a lot of French guests there but we found them all friendly. They have their own team of reps but the French reps and the Jamaican reps have intergrated so well and work wonderfully together. they are all so helpful and such a lot of fun! The shows they put on together in the evenings were so good, we thought the Jamaican entertainment team's dancers absolutely fantastic, so professional. The food was really good, so much variety, buffet style, comfortable restaurant; you also get the choice of Tai or Fish restaurants which have to be booked in the morning, but at no cost. Their food was more 'a la carte' and really tasty. We have never seen such a clean holiday complex. The whole place is constantly being cleaned; the gardens cleared and tidied, the beach cleared and raked and the bars and restaurant areas spotless. The gardens are so beautiful. Every member of staff - gardeners, waiters, barmen, maids, porters, reception, absolutely everyone, were so cheerful and friendly. what was also nice was that the waiters, bar staff etc were always singing and dancing and cracking jokes etc; made for such a relaxed atmosphere. I personally cannot wait to go back. Am saving hard........

Room Tip: If you like the beach and are not worried about a little noise, go for a beach cottage. If you like...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#20 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,106 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!