Lets start pre travel. Our family have been coming to this hotel for the last 12 years and alarm bells were sounding after reading reviews. I contacted First choice our tour operator before travelling after reading reviews of the RDCC we were directed to Thomson the parent company. After voicing our concerns they tried to tell us they were not aware of any problems at the hotel. After 14 Emails Thomson still refused to give me a guarantee that we would get the beach front cottages that we had paid for.
The flight to Jamaica was ok but not worth the extra £249 upgrade to premium class. Seats needed new padding as they became uncomfortable after about 1 hour. Food was bad I have had better microwaved meals. The flight home was a complete waste of money the service from the flight attends was none existent as only 1 drink was offered to us with our meal after that it was if you want anything you have to call and if you were lucky you might get it sometime during the flight my wife is still waiting for a glass of coke and we have been home for 3 days.
RDCC we arrived at the hotel as a wedding party of 19 my family were lucky as we got the ocean front cottages that we had paid for. This was not the same for some of our party and other travellers on the Thomson flight. So far so good the following day after check in we were approached by the general manager and asked if we would like a free upgrade. This was declined as my son and his fiancé had got engaged at this hotel 2 years previous and wanted the wedding to take place here. This was made clear to the GM. Then they upped the pressure the Manager of the fun Caribbean hotel approached us and offered an upgrade to the new hotel the fun Caribbean formerly Hedonism III all 19 of our group were offered ocean facing suits with Jacuzzis, wedding fees returned and free trips around Jamaica. This was once again declined. we later found out that the French tour company had tied RDCC into a contract that carries heavy penalty's if the customers do not get the rooms they had booked. (Thomson please take note) The following day there was a leaflet posted under the door offering us a further upgrade to the RDCC Montego bay. By this time I had had enough I went to reception and confronted the GM he in turn apologised and that was the last of the pressure after this the GM could not have done more to make us feel welcome and he went out of his way to make the wedding extra special thank you Pedro.
As returning customers we found that the food has seriously gone downhill what made this hotel the hidden gem in Jamaica was the little extras these have all been eroded away the service due to staff cuts has declined in the past there would have been 1 waiter to 5 tables it is now 1 to 10 tables the staff work very hard for long hours and all for little pay. This I am afraid to say is not the fault of local management but the fault of the tour operators in fact I do not blame any of the local management or staff for the problems at this hotel the problems with the over booking was a direct result of tour operating companies. The tour operators are forcing these types of hotels into contracts that are impossible to fulfil without dropping standards and overbooking.
The problem with the French is over exaggerated the French staff are a nice group of people if you take the time to talk to them they made my Family feel welcome. That doesn’t mean I agree with why they are there Jamaica is an English speaking country and I think it is insulting to the Jamaican people to be forced to have translators work alongside a more than capable team of entertainment staff in fact the Jamaican team are probably the best on the island lead by Rocky a first rate entertainer. As for the French people as a whole they need to get over themselves let go and learn how to have a good time. If the French do not want to speak English then they should go to a French speaking island there are a few of them in the Caribbean.
The RDCC was a better place when there was a good mixture of all nationality’s in the past there was German, French, Spanish, Dutch, American and Canadian. In Equal numbers and it worked if it isn’t broken don’t fix it.
In summery RDCC please take note the French will soon become bored with this Hotel because it has become just another 3 star hotel somewhere hot. But your returning customers who remember when this hotel offered 5 star service for 3 star price will find a new gem somewhere else then how will you fill your hotel. Don’t let this happen. P.S the reviewer who stated that the large group of British were a bit loud take note this hotel has always been a loud Jamaican family friendly hotel if you wish to have a quite time try Couples or the Maldives. P.s P.s Best Attraction in Jamaica Hook pirate show absolutely Fantastic night out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Runaway Bay about an hour from Montego Bay International Airport, the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean is located in one of the most beautiful and picturesque place of the island, populated by friendly and happy people. This hotel's architecture offers incredible paths through the gardens and terraces until you reach the 2 swimming pools, one exclusively for adults and another with all the facilities for children. This hotel also has a long dock for sunbathing. The cottage-style rooms bring a tropical environment and let you enjoy the peace of the beach where you can partake in a large variety of water sports. Its restaurants offer many different types of cuisine which range from typical Jamaican flavors to the exquisite tastes of Asian food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Royal Decameron Club Caribbean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Hotel Caribbean
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Caribbean
- Royal De Cameron
- Club Caribbean Jamaica
- Decameron Jamaica Royal
- Caribbean Club Decameron Royal
- Club Decameron Jamaica Royal
- Royal Decameron Club Caribbean Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Club Jamaica