“I'm a Fan of Club Ambiance”
Review of Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend in 2009 with another female friend for a weekend. I just forgot to put a review up. Actually, since I had such a great time at Club Ambiance, I decided to come back to Jamaica. The staff is what really made this stay great. They were fun and really nice. A lot of them were the same age as I am and they recommended a lot of activities for someone in their early 20's. My friend and I were more of less going to relax. We were stressed from work and needed to unwind.

Most of our time was spent on the beach and snorkeling. My only real complaint is they made us wear life jackets when snorkeling. Which hindered me when swimming. I am excellent swimmer in real life and found the jacket was pulling me back with each wave. But I understand they do this for insurance reasons. I was glad that one of the snorkeling staff, was understanding and waited for me when I struggled. He commented he cannot swim with a life jacket on either. Other then that it was a great experience.

I am a big fan of the food on the island. I find at most of the hotel and resorts the food is pretty pure and natural. Close to what I eat at home. I actually loved the deserts. But most people from Canada or the USA would find them not sweet enough. I loved them. The coconut ice cream they served was AMAZING!

The beach was amazing. It was just a good place to sit back and relax. Keep in mind if you are a westerner and want to go off the hotel, you will be viewed as an wallet to the locals. They will try to sell to you. Just be polite. Selling to the tourist is apart of the culture here and people are trying to make a honest living. I've had to remind many American and Canadians this. Since, many complained about this while in Jamaica. You find this is the case in most other then, 1st world countries. And yes, the locals can always tell people coming from north America. But show them differently and engage a bit about them. When you do, you find the locals are people just like you.

I would totally stay at Club Ambiance in a heart beat. It's a quaint and quiet resort. Most people would probably find this hotel to be a dump. People who are use to more north American accommodations. However, this is considered a pretty nice place in third world countries like Jamaica. Which I personally love Club Ambiance. Just keep in mind, do not expect American accommodations unless, you are staying in a place like Sandals. This hotel is more for the "adventurous" types, looking for a more down to earth and true to Jamaica stay. You stay here to spend time on the beach and get in touch with the the warmness Jamaicans offer.

Room Tip: All the rooms are about the same. So, it's not worth upgrading.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank professionalnomad1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Club ambiance is a small, quiet hotel. It has not had a lot of updating, the rooms are older, but absolutely spotless. There are only about 100 rooms, and a villa. You can upgrade, but from what I have seen, the upgrades are not really worth the extra money.
Every room has an ocean view, and the building is only 2 stories.
The food is good, not a huge selection, but I don`t eat red meat or wheat and I had no problems finding something I liked at every meal. During the day they also have a grill area where you can get burgers, hotdogs, chicken wraps etc.
There was always lots of hot water, lots of towels and at this hotel, they have facecloths! You don`t see that too often in Jamaica!
I was advised before I left that this hotel was sold and purchased by a new company and I did see a few changes in staff members. But overall, not much has changed.
The only thing I did notice that I wasn`t impressed with was the new GM. He walked around all day, I`m sure, to observe the staff and the functionality of the hotel, which is good for business. However, I did see him criticize one of the staff members in front of me. This made me very uncomfortable and was embarrassing for the employee. I felt genuinely bad for him. Constructive criticism is great, but not in front of a guest!
It's the staff that makes this hotel so great to visit. Storm and Omar are great! When there are not a lot of people willing to participate in activites, they still do their very best to make it fun! Cassandra at the front desk is very knowledgeable and friendly. And of course, my girl Keri! She makes the best drinks around and provides such great entertainment! She keeps me laughing all day!
I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
17  Thank feelinfriskytonite
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was my first time going to Jamaica, I was expecting a great time, what I got was disappointment. This Hotel, oh resort was a dump. Travel on Sept 6 2012, not a great time this resort was deserted, maybe three couples. They had more workers than customers. The ocean view was priceless. The food was good. The staff was friendly. I will not recommend this place to my enemy. If I were to go back to MBJ, Club Ambiance will not even be a thought. I don't care if they had a promo pay for one night stay get three night free. I don't know what some of these great reviews was compared to but I would like a refund.

Room Tip: Pick a different resort!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Kim D
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have been reading about the change of ownership at club Ambiance but was determined to return again on Sept 3- Sept 8. Spent 5 wonderful days at a resort I love and was not disappointed that maybe things had "changed". If anything the changes seemed to be for the better, more attentive service from staff in dining room, same wonderful bar service from the regulars, and Omar and Storm are always top notch. Noticed a lot of sprucing up going on from landscaping, painting, repairs etc. Talked to some of the management team and the impression I got was they see club Ambiance as a hidden gem and I got the impression that they intend to keep it all adult and I would not expect a lot of changes. The menu was the same and the food is very good, they have expanded their spa and I got a massage and rate it very hight. Rooms are not changed and had some issues with the shower but it was fixed promptly. All you past club Ambiance visitors have no fear, you will not return and find a different resort, just maybe a better one.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank klemi
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and myself set out on a last min vacation. (We went to CA in April 2011, however I was not able to change the date for this reiew).This resort was by far one of the best resorts we went to in our travel history. You arrive to a remisant 1970's looking lobby....very clean and not modernized at all. Our room was located on the third floor and was very clean and comfortable. The drinks were perfect, the food was awesome and the other guests were very friendly. This is an adult only resort ...no screaming kids....just adults relaxing and blowing off steam. The beach was not great at all, and the pool was very deep and not for someone that was not accoustomed to swimming. Everyone here was so mellow and saited. The karokee bar at the end of the pier was a blast as well as the ajoining disco. The resort was small ...about 90 when we were there and it did not take long to know your way around. I was very comfortable here and would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone wanting a relaxing break from their hectic world. This resort covered all the bases for me personally. I did not care that it was not modern, I did not care what ammenties that it had, it was clean, staff were friendly and the food was excellent...really what more could anyone ask for?

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Islandalleykat
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was my wife's first trip to Jamaica We stayed at Club Ambiance for a week in June this year.
It was a remarkably nice place.,small but very efficiently designed and well managed There is an extra touch to everything. The gym is small but well equipped and also has an extra dehumidifier set at 45% besides the airconditioning.The airconditioning in the rooms has remote controls, so you can adjust the temperature without getting out of the bed.There is live programming every night including a dance floor for the visitors.
The beach has pleanty shaded places , if you want to keep out of the sun.The ocean water is crystal clear, you do not find that in Puerto Rico or Cancun.
Also, if you live on the east coast of the USA, check your local temperature and humidity on the internet and compare it with Runaway Bay,Jamaica.You would be surprized to see that the summer temperature and humidity is lower than in Virginia or other places in the USA.
And not to forget the staff , they make you feel his place an excellent place to visit.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet evening away from the entertainment, get a room on the pool side
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NCtraveller14
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Club Ambiance. The hotel is small,and older,but that being said the staff make this a great value for the price. And that same staff creates and environment for a great vacation. Two small lagoons allow you to lie in the water and sip on a drink without getting tossed around by the ocean. Buffet food is good even though it doesn't change that often. Decent local entertainment and overall a very nice week in Jamaica. My wife and I have visited the Caribbean over forty times, this was the best value we ever had in twenty years.

Room Tip: All second floor roms have ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
34 mi away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Club Ambiance? Share your experiences!