Franklyn D. Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$359
BahiaPrincipe
$360
$313
  • Breakfast included
Club Ambiance(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$180
  • Breakfast included
Silver Creek Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$100
$90
Cardiff Hotel & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$148
$132
Villa Sonate(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$115
$83
Piper's Cove Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$85
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$493
  • Breakfast included
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$415
BahiaPrincipe
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnanny servicevacation nannyarts and craftsadult activitieskids buffetthe grillextra setwonderful nannykids clubtwo bedroom suiteglass bottom boatteen coordinatorkids centertrue vacationgoatrelaxing family vacationhaving fun
Reviewed December 5, 2010

We visited FDR in November with our three young children ages 4, 2 and half and 14 months. I had read all the reviews and had an idea of what to expect. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the accomdations. It was incredibley spacious and just what a family like ours needed. A kitchen, dining and sitting areas and two large bedrooms on the second floor with 2 large full washrooms.

Our vacation nannies were fantastic and took excellent care of not only our childrens needs but ours as well. I cant say enough about them or the staff in general. Everyone from the front desk to the restaurant hostess were extremely polite and friendly. The staff actually took the time out to learn my childrens names and greeted them whenever they saw them. I have never been to any resort where staff knew my name let alone my childrens names. The children were kept busy by planned daily activities and adventures. My kids had a blast!

The food was plenty and there was enough variety. The jerk food at the grill was very delicious. Being used to very flavourful and spicy food I did find the food a little bland but I assume that is to accomodate everyones palate. Drinks were great and the children really enjoyed the virgin pina coladas.

The only real negative I found was the access to the beach next door. The beach on the premises is a kids beach which is fantastic as its small enough to always keep an eye on your little ones. However if you are a beach lover such as myself its just not enough of a beach so you have go to the beach next door which is beautiful but very awkward to access. You simply can not walk onto it, you have to go pass a gate/wall then jump on rocks and sandbags etc. It was a bit tricky doing this with the kids in tow.

All in all it was a great vacation. I have taken my children on vacation with me and this was the first time ive actually been able to have a romantic dinner with my husband and just have nice meals as a couple everyday. I highly recommend this place to anyone with a young family, you will truly appreciate having the nanny ( I have a live in nanny and this was even better) .

We will defintely be returning to FDR.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Sophia_Rahman
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We can't say enough great things about FDR! While it may not be the Ritz Carlton, the accommodations were comfortable, clean and kid friendly. The entire staff were extremely attentive to all our needs. The first suite we stayed in had a front porch facing the beautiful gardens, a bedroom and a large living room area with a kitchenette. We loved it, however, unfortunately, the air conditioner broke. Without hesitation the staff moved us to a 2-story, 2 bedroom suite overlooking the ocean. It was amazing! Our refrigerator was always stocked with pb&j, fruits, juices and more. Overall, the food was great too. Breakfast was a buffet consisting of pastries, eggs, breads, cereals, fruits, etc. The grill was available all day and served delicious jerk chicken! Dinner was either buffet or sit down depending on the evening and menu and there are two "adult only" restaurants. The Pier, served a delicious variety of Italian dishes while you enjoy the incredible beach/ocean scenery. The Overproof Restaurant was a great way to try some delicious Jamaican dishes. The Sea Cotton Beach Grill had a great variety of kid friendly foods AND the desserts were scrumptious. The bartenders, wait staff, and event staff were helpful, fun, attentive and really made it a great vacation. The pool was large enough to enjoy it and the slide/pool was so much fun. The beach was the perfect size for families with young kids. A relaxing spa, a glass bottom boat, a trip to Ocho Rios and more. THE BEST PART was our nanny. This was the first time we had a vacation and the kids had a vacation! Our nanny was wonderful! She figured out routines immediately, kept the kids busy all day long and was nurturing, caring and loving as if our kids were her own. At night we had her babysit for a few hours so we could enjoy the "adult only" restaurants. I can't say enough wonderful things about our nanny. Without her, we wouldn't have enjoyed our vacation in the same way. This is truly a vacation for all! As parents of young kids, mine were 4 and 2.5, we don't have the opportunity to have time to ourselves often and at FDR there is plenty of it! Our kids didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back. If you have young children and want to have a great vacation, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sshuster
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I had a beautiful wedding ceremony here- it is my second marriage, and the ceremony was everything I had imagined! Trishawna Davidson was my wedding planner, and did a wonderful job with the decorated arch, table decor, cake, flowers and music. Lorenza Green was an awesome photographer. We had a ceremony with my 2 sons, 13 and 15. Our stay at FDR was excellent. The highlights were the morning power-walks up in the mountains across from the resort, followed by a swim in the ocean- and then breakfast!! We all enjoyed snorkeling-- the boat went out a few times a day-- and Capt Jack was funny and informative! We also enjoyed ping-pong and kayaking. My sons made lots of friends at the teen center and enjoyed nightly planned teen activities such as capture the flag, on the beach. The food was excellent, and i was glad to have a chance to sample authentic Jamaican dishes. The staff was friendly and a joy to be around! We were lucky to have stayed during the Jamaican Independence day celebration, and would like to return on our first anniversary next year. Our room was spacious and had a breathtaking view of the ocean. The stocked refrigerator was very nice to have. The beach was small and rocky, so when we went to swim we actually walked over to the area where the Breezes Resort had their beach, to swim where the beach was all sandy. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank radflamom
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We enjoyed our stay immensely. It is a bit more rustic than we are accostomed but the hospitality and warmth of the staff completely compensated for that.. Our nanny Andrene was fantastic. She was great with our 5 1/2 yo son and he took to her immediately.My husband and I felt as if she had been handpicked for our family it was such a perfect fit.
The accomodations were spacious and clean. The food was delicious and the staff was fantastic.Big Blue Slide is a blast and snorkeling everyday was delightful.
Did I mention the staff was great?!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank MichaelsMommy
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We had a great time and went with several other families. We have a 3 yr old and a 6 month old so we were a little hesitant at first, but like everyone else, after being there a few hours, we were very comfortable. We actually ended up getting a second nanny for $20 a day, and this the BEST decision we couldve made. They staggered their lunches and really helped make the trip truly amazing. We loved both of the nannies Kerise and Sophie and highly recommend them. They are best friends and work great as a team.. BIG Shout out to them both. The nannies are what truly MAKE this resort incredible. The resort upgraded us to ocean view rooms and we really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony in the morning watching the ocean. One thing I didnt like was how far the resort is from the the montego bay airport. It took over an hour to get there and that is hard when you have young ones... but still worth the drive for the experience at the resort.
A few things I would like to see is better equiptment at the resort.
Some of their toys, chairs, bikes, etc are really outdated. Also, I feel like they needed some better energy at the bars, the staff seemed a little bothered at times. The food is just ok. Good stuff for the kids. We loved the beach bbq that they did and they had a little talent show which we really enjoyed watching and participating in.
I would like to check out the beach next door if we do go back one day (which I am sure we will). I hear that it is a very nice beach. My son celebrated his bday there and they did a complimentarty bday party on the beach for him which was really nice. All the kids had so much fun. After going to this resort it will be very hard to go anywhere else with small children.. this is the way to go!!! One last thing, the pool area is extremely slippery.. I recommend that you bring good water shoes that have some grip on the bottom.
We miss you FDR and hope to be back soon!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family