“We had a wonderful time at FDResort”

Franklyn D. Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I gave this vacation to my family for Christmas, and it was just the break we needed. The management and staff went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and comfortable. Our nanny, LaToya, was a delight and my 4 year old granddaughter loved her. Food was plentiful and well-prepared, with variety for everyone. We realized by the size of the property and the advertising that we weren't going to get 6 star food, but we all found something we liked at each meal. The entertainment staff - Curtis and Kervan - kept us all busy and laughing. Donavan - the personal trainer and fitness director (or should I say pain-inducer?) kept us active w/ aquacize and gym time. Entertainment was family centered, so not for young singles or newlyweds probably, but we all enjoyed it.
I will return, and recommend the resort to my friends. It's perfect for a 3 generation trip - grandparents, kids and grandkids, or a family w/ kids and the parents want some time to themselves. Lots to keep all happy, and the safety of a nanny keeping your little ones entertained and happy is a big plus.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Phoebesbeela

Reviewed December 25, 2008

We just returned home after a wonderful experience in Jamaica stay at the Franklyn D. Resort.
It was our 30th wedding anniversary and we were there to celebrate our first and definitely not our last time in Jamaica. Not knowing this was a kid's friendly place, everyone asked as why we were there. We loved every second kids and all.
There is so much to say, but first and foremost was the wonderfull staff. We were treated like King and Queen at every meal. They couldn't do enough for us and always with a big smile. The food at every meal was served like a 5* hotel with cloth napkins and again amazing staff.
There is so much to do or you can do nothing. I loved the fact that the owner of the hotel was always there making sure everyone was content.
The rooms were nice and very clean. The food was good, the wine was great, I cannot think of one negative on this trip. Hopefully we can go again in February.
Thank you so much FDR for making our 30th wedding anniversary so special, not only the night with Champagne and special music and balloons, but the whole week.
Ressa Nadler
Quebec, Canada

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank oakleyLaurentians
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We stayed at Fdr over Thanksgiving. We have 6 children and I must say I have never really had a vacation. Usually I spend all of my time chasing kids and making sure they are entertained at all times. It was so much different this time. Upon arrival we were assigned a nanny. I was very hesitant since I don't even use babbysitters much less rely on a person to take care of my children from a different country who I had never met before.
Our nanny was Tamara. Never in my life did I expect to be so happy. She was amazing. She somehow knew when to step in and when to allow us to be the parents. We came to trust her immediatly. I was able to spend time with my older children or my husband and I knew our 2 yr old daughter was being well taken care of. I could check on her any time and she was always having fun. Even when we were spending time with her Our nanny was there to assist when needed. Even if that meant taking her out of the pool and changing and dressing her while I layed on a raft in the sun WOW!!!!
Needless to say the Nanny was exceptional. We even hired a second one to stay with our infant to avoid her in the hot sun all day. The second nanny is only 20.00 per day. Take advantageof that.
The workers were great. Everyone we came in contact with went out of their way to make sure we were completly satisfied. 5 stars for service!!!!!!!!!!!
The food was good. I am not a good eater nor do I like to try anything new. But I must say there was always something for everyone. We were all fed well and never hungry.
We had a 3 bedroom oceanfront suite. It was huge! 3 bathrooms and over 1000 sq. ft. That was wonderful. Each day our nanny stocked the refrigerator with whatever the children wanted. We felt like kings and queens.
As for the resort itself. We have been to some of the much larger fancier resorts and had a great time. Here the pool is just a pool nothing fancy. The resort is small but when you want to find your children it's great. And your not sweating to death getting from one place to the next. At first I was very disapointed with the beach. It's tiny and rocky BUT it serves the purpose. If you want to sit on a big beautiful beach you can just walk next door to breezes . Your allowed to share the beach!!! If you don't have children you may not have found the perfect resort. But if your a family that needs to be able to spend time as a family and time with your spouse and know your children are having just as much fun away from you. You may want to check this place out.
There is even a counselor for the older kids who keeps them out of trouble and entertained all evening
Our family cannot wait to go back to FDR.

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank TraceyEastamptonNJ
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We spent Thanksgiving week at FDR Resort with our 18 month old son and it was a great getaway for everyone. We had previously stayed at FDR Pebbles back in April 2008 and originally booked at Pebbles but we were bumped to FDR due to renovations.

The Nanny
The number one reason to go to either FDR Resort or Pebbles is the nanny. Most hotels offer kids clubs but, with very young children, you just can't beat the individualized care you get with the nanny. My son is very shy with strangers. He was a little apprehensive with the nanny towards the beginning of the week. However, by the end of the week, he wanted nothing to do with my husband and I and only wanted the nanny. She was absolutely wonderful with him.

The Food
I don't expect too much from the food at an all inclusive and FDR was right in line with my expectations. The food certainly isn't first class but you can always find something good to eat. The Italian adult’s only restaurant was especially good. They went out of their way on Thanksgiving to make it special to the guests from the US, complete with Turkey and stuffing.

Activities
The only activity I can really comment on is Scuba. My husband and I were SCUBA certified during our trip. I can't say enough about the SCUBA staff at FDR. They were extremely knowledgeable and professional.

Comparison between Pebbles
Originally, I struggled between whether to go to Pebbles or FDR. Since we have now been to both I can offer a comparison of the two. FDR has much nicer rooms. The rooms at FDR are actually two individual rooms. At Pebbles, it is two rooms separated by a half wall. The rooms at FDR were also much larger. You have to be very careful with the tile in the room, however. When it gets wet, it can be a death trap. We had an ocean view room which had a nice balcony overlooking the ocean. We also had ocean view at Pebbles and I preferred the balcony at Pebbles. The balcony at Pebbles had a nice futon on it and was much closer to the ocean.
The other major difference is the beaches. The beach at Pebbles was definitely nicer than the beach at FDR. The beach at FDR is very small and rocky.
All in all, the resorts are very similar. Since we didn't spend much time in the room, we would probably return to Pebbles. Pebbles is also about an hour closer to the airport. So, that is a big factor for us.

My husband and I aren't the type of people that typically visit a place more than once. However, I know we will be back to one of the FDR Resorts. With small children, there is no other place like it.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Redchicky
Reviewed November 2, 2008

This hotel is right next to Breezes Runaway Bay Resort & Golf ( my home town hotel please see my on Breezes) If you have children I recommend this resort highly It is one of the best family-friendly hotel period! No wonder so many families have come back year after year, we met one family of 4 from Canada that they have been coming back for 7 years now ( the father joking said that “our kid grew up here”) You get you own wonderful nanny! This so helpful so you and your children can get away from each during the day and if you want have a late romantic evening with out the kids this is no problem. I grew up in Jamaica- The most tropical Island in the Caribbean- (I now live in St Paul , Minnesota ) so if you have any questions or concern about this hotel or most hotel pleas feel free to contact me

$herwin

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Lifeisbeetiful
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We took our two children aged 4 and 1 to the FDR for a week in October.

Things we liked about the FDR:

* The nanny service (why we chose FDR) - great if you've got young kids like us and want some time to yourselves. Janet our nanny was trustworthy and professional. We used her for baby sitting three nights which worked well.
* Excellent service from all the staff - good humoured and friendly all day, every day
* The food was very good. Sometimes with all-inclusives food can be a bit hit and miss but we always found something we wanted to eat
* Spacious, well-equipped rooms - perfect for a family
* Excellent snorkeling out in front of the resort - plenty of coral, fish and crystal clear water (when the weather is calm).

Things not so good:

* The beach at the FDR is not great - not the fine white sand some will expect at a Caribbean beach hotel. Also the rocks under the water mean it's not great for swimming off the beach. There is however a very nice beach next door at Breezes (which we used).
* You need to come here expecting a 3* hotel - the facilities are a bit rundown compared to other resorts.

Overall though if you've got kids I'd recommend the FDR as a good place for a relaxing week. Like most all-inclusives I think one week is enough - otherwise boredom is likely to set in and the food will get repetitive.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank PK249
Reviewed October 21, 2008

As a first time traveler with a 2 1/2 year old boy, we read a lot of reviews about this resort, some good and some not so good. We were looking for a place that was all about kids and a place that we could relax too which is hard to find. We ended up booking through letstakethekidstravel.com based out of Ottawa. To be honest I never would have known about this place had it not been for my agent there. Our stay was from October 3-10, 2008 so needless to say it was off-season but it was great. I had read a few negative reviews about the beaches, food & people which made me nervous but after being there myself, wanted to express that my experience was nothing but amazing. The rooms were clean, food was good, and the people were fun and very friendly

Beaches:
The water is shallow and the beach is sheltered by rocks (to prevent waves from coming in), which was perfect for my little guy who lived on the beach. It was cleaned daily, had toys to play with and had shaded area in the heat of the sun.

Food:
Amazing, amazing, amazing. There was a variety of choices each day and always very tasty. I had read one review about the kids food. Well, sure there isn’t much choice on the kids dinner buffet (pizza, pasta, chicken wings, sandwiches & fruit each night) but you could always take them to dinner with you if you want them to eat a bit healthier. For breakfast & lunch, you always had different choices. I can also tell you my son loved eating the food he normally doesn’t get to at home. The kids are on vacation too after all!! He thoroughly enjoyed the kids sized buffet. The table was his height so he could help himself

People:
I had read a few reviews and heard a few stories about people always having their hand out. I can assure you if this was true we would have seen it since it was off season and can attest that this was not our experience. Not once did anyone on the resort ask to be tipped nor treated us differently if no money was left. We did end up giving money to a few people (i.e. our Nanny Patrina) at the end of our stay just because she was fantastic not because it was expected

Nanny:
Being a hands on parent we were very un-easy about this whole Nanny thing. Our agent recommended Nanny Patrina (which I would strongly suggest as well). We have only left our son with 3 people in his 2 ½ years on only a handful of occasions. I was nervous about how he would re-act to a stranger taking care of him, could I do it in fact? The first day was odd seeing someone sitting on the beach playing with my son instead of us but we saw that he didn’t mind and was having a great time. Even when I was at the pool-side I could hear them laughing and playing. Our son took to Patrina instantly. Nap times – no problem, diaper changes – no problem, play time – no problem. They did crafts, played in the park and in the kids centre when he needed to cool down. She was ALWAYS hydrating him and applying sunscreen. Needless to say we did take advantage of the Nanny. We went on a couple tours. It was great that we had Patrina watching him while he napped and we were still able to enjoy the pool/beach/ocean.

Because it was off-season the activities didn’t always run (due to lack of interest from the visitors) but your on vacation mon and if this bothers you, then you definitely need to learn how to relax. Curtis and Kervan were great with kids. I believe they are the coordinators. Sabrina (waitress) was also amazing with our son who took him to dance one night.

All in all we WILL be going there again!!!! Don’t assume that because you read the negative reviews it is not the place to go. This is the place to go if you have kids or simply need to relax. Remember that most positive experiences are never mentioned or written about.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Franklyn D. Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!