“We LOVE FDR!!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“We LOVE FDR!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We have been going to FDR in Jamaica for 5 years in a row; every year we enjoy the scenery, hotel, staff, all of it! Our nannies were wonderful! Our boys love fishing and they brought their poles down and were fishing every day! The girls love doing arts and crafts, participating in "talent shows" and swimming in the pool and atthe beach. Great place to teach your kids how to snorkel and dive!

1 Thank CrazyMomofFour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
nj
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This resort is ideal for families, This beautifully landscaped beachfront resort has everything! Each suite comes with a vacation nanny. She arrives around 9 am and spends the day with your children, This resort is small so you can see your children at all times! There are so many activities for all ages, crafts, games, swimming, snorkeling, goat races, and so much more,
This allows even the moms to relax is the sun or go swimming in the ocean!
The suites are huge. We had the oceanfront suite in Block 1. Upper floor has best views from balcony. Front Room with two twin beds for the kids, tv and own bathroom with shower. Then door opened to a small kitchen, Vacation nanny keeps the fridge filled with whatever you like, wine, beer, juice, milk, fresh fruit. Cereal peanut butter and jelly bread all available! Then a hall with a closet and another bathroom with a tub/shower. Then the master bedroom, oceanfront, large king bed, tv and private balcony with chairs,
The food is DELICIOUS. This is the Caribbean and the dishes reflex that, Everyday there were different options loaded with vegetables, chicken, beef, pork, fish, salads, soups, breads, Lots of great things for the kids pancakes, french toast, grill cheese, burgers, pizza, fries, wraps!!
Buffets for breakfast and lunch. Grill open lunch until midnight. Two restaurants at night, One for families and One for Adults only. Chef Donovan is always around and wants everyone to be happy!
NOW THE BEST PART - the STAFF!!!!! The lifeguards are amazing with the kids! So friendly and helpful to everyone. Wait staff and bartenders, remember your name and always have a smile!!
The Nanny's are incredible, most are mothers themselves and are so hands on with the kids. The apply sunscreen, watch them closely at all times, do fun and creative crafts with them!
The snorkeling is great right next to the resort. The reef is a 100 feet from the beach. FDR has the snorkel equipment. Also our 13 year old learned to scuba dive and did two dives while we were there. Fruity is excellent and takes extreme care of his divers!
Beautiful island, beautiful resort and beautiful people!

1 Thank travelingwithboysNj
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We booked for a night at the hotel on Saturday Feb15, 2014 (post valentine) two weeks in advance, we were told that the check-in time is three o’clock but we were NOT informed about an early check-in fee of JA$ 1,000.00. We arrived at the Hotel at approximately 12: 40 only to be told by the security that there’s an early check-in fee of $1,000. She called someone on the phone and came back to tell us that we could check-in but would not have access to the property but only the lobby, we would have to sit in the lobby for almost 2 hrs. In addition to that, we had an appointment for a massage at 2:00 pm and all that was not relayed to the front desk. We NEVER expressed a desire to have lunch upon arrival, to me it was a total turnoff knowing that they’re more concerned about potential guests having lunch before the check-in time of 3:00 pm.

Their concern is all about guests checking-in early and having lunch at their expense, (so cheap) that’s the reason for their early check-in fee of $1,000. If they’re so much concern about guest (staying at the resort) having lunch before the check-in time, why not include that fee ($1,000.00) into the total cost of accommodation? That would make more sense to me and your guests would not feel as if it’s all about the eating of lunch instead of the quality of service to your guests.

Other Hotel I’ve been to, allows you to check-in, have lunch, have access to the property except that you will not have access to the room before 3:00 pm

Food for thought……Do better than that. You have here a very disgruntled guest. You being in my position, would you recommend anyone to stay at the FDR?

Room Tip: We didn't quite get that far
Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LMorant
Trishawana, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
We appreciate your detailed comments following your recent encounter upon checking in with us on Saturday, February 15, 2014.

You booked accommodations for one night from February 15-16, 2014. Our all-inclusive package for a one night stay includes one breakfast, one lunch and one dinner. Our check in time is at 3:00 pm; however, if guests want to check in earlier, then there is a US$10/J$1000 surcharge for an additional lunch. We apologize that the hotel’s policy regarding the early check in fee was not communicated accurately to you prior to your arrival. This charge was however waived upon your arrival at the Resort.

You advised that you wanted us to book a surprise massage for your husband at 3:00 pm on February 15, 2014 which was confirmed to you via telephone by the Reservation Agent on February 4, 2014.

We regret that you were unable to truly enjoy the FDR experience and we hope you will reconsider visiting with us again soon.
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at several resorts in a few countries. The best feature of this resort is it's friendly, courteous, and helful staff. From check in to check out they are consistently the best resort staff that we have dealt with. We shall return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin N
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We just got back from our vacation at FDR and I have nothing but great things to say. The nannies were wonderful, the staff was so pleasant and extremely helpful, the resort was clean and nicely upkept. After the first day, the entire staff knew us and greeted us by name, and went out of their way to get us anything we needed. My son loved his nanny, and would run to her every morning. Our group had 3 kids, ages 2, 7, and 13, and all of them had a great time. There is definitely something for everyone, and it is a great way for the parents and children to have a fun, relaxing, vacation!

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor with a balcony over looking the ocean (#34). We loved the view, and...
3 Thank AML1115
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2014

As the above states we are return guests to this hotel. I think this last time was our 7th! We have kids, 13,9,3 and 2. This is the only place where we get a vacation as well. When you take your kids to Disney or another resort , you are just parents in a different place. We get to linger over coffee at breakfast as the kids take off with their nannies or to the teen room as soon as they can. We eat lunch with our little ones and then we always have our nannies stay and have dinner with us (on Jamaican and beach nights) and then on the other nights we have dinner...with adult only conversations!

Now some parents might read this and think, that we are bad parents for not spending all our time with our kids on vacation. I cant help that opinion, but for those parents who like to have a life outside their children as well sometimes ( face it at home , you are always together), then FDR is a great place to Experience some adult freedom.

Our two older children, love it here and as soon as we arrive, they are gone! They know their way around and where to get their drinks from. We still get our 9 year old a Nanny, as she loves her Sharlene! They are both high energy and full of fun. Our teenager, on the last 3 trips, has been basically wrapped up in the teen program from the moment we get there! She gets up early to go have breakfast with friends she meets each time she goes. The teen co-ordinator walks the teens home at night to make sure they get to their rooms safely, if we are not still at the bar.

We get 2 Nannies for the boys , to allow them to do things at their level. Carmelina and Coretta are so great with them. We have had all our nannies before, as we do request them ahead of time, we have only missed not having Coretta once. We have also had Shawn as well and she was great with the kids. If there is anything I can say to a new FDR visitor, don't be afraid to let go of the kids. These ladies, are so attentive and caring and loving that you do not have to worry about the safety of your kids. We have had our kids there from as early as 6 months and it is great!

I have read many of the reviews and yes there are short comings with anyplace you go, but they really do try and fix anything and everything you ask them to.

I think many of the US and Cdn travellers need to remember is THIS IS NOT HOME!! There is cultural differences. I read one review complaining about having to wait for food. The ONLY place I have ever had to wait a long time for food is at the grill, btwn 12-130! Everyday, it is busy with the lunch rush. These guys work like crazy to get the food out. Relax, put your order in and go get a drink! Come back 20 min later, you can see the grill from the bar! What we do now is get there before the rush, or wait until after. 10 min to get lunch which is good eating from here. I see so many people getting so frustrated on the time thing.....YOU ARE ON VACATION!! Relax, you will not starve or be hungry ever at FDR! Sometimes the omlet bar and pasta bar are a bit backed up, but again when there 200 people in the rush time you expect to wait. Sit down, get a coffee or whatever, wait for the line to die down and get what you want!!

I wanted to address the tips. We do tip here and there, $1-2 at the bar, a few times a day. Leave $5 at dinner. Nothing big, but we learned was, just so some simple courtesy, it's was the way you respected them! If you want to have great time and service in any Carribean island treat the staff with respect. Not like some kind of servant put there to serve your every need! Greet them , say HI, how are you?, thank you very much, hey I see you are really busy! Acknowledge them as if they are humans. I take our Nannies fruit smoothies when I get my drink at the bar! At first they used to look panicked, but I quickly let them know I wanted to do it!! I take my lunch plate and cups back to the dinning area so they are not around the pool area! I know we are on vacation, but really you cant take your beer mug back up with you to the bar, when you go to get yourself another!!!???? Common decency really gets you treated well! Secondly, what is wrong with tipping, it happens at every all-inclusive resorts all over the world, so why it is such a taboo thing at this resort on these reviews. If you can afford to fly and stay at FDR you can afford to throw a few dollars at the staff. It makes a difference to them in their life.

As all most all the reviews state...this is not a 5 star hotel....so if you want a butler and someone to be falling all over you calling you Sir or Ma'am then don't go here! If you want to be treated like a member of the family, getting to the know staff by first name and feeling comfortable with them giving you a fun hard time about not participating in the morning run, or tennis or ring toss and having them come by and sit on the end of your lounge chair and chat and make sure you are okay and having fun AND try and learn a bit about their lives...then this is the place for you!

We go there to feel comfortable and calm and relaxed! In my opinion, you wont find a better place to go as a family, spend time together and spend time apart to re-group, re-energize and feel like you were on vacation !!!

Room Tip: Ground floor is what we prefer. We have stayed in many different rooms, our Fav was 24 it is a 3 be...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank Farrkins
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We recently came back from FDR. It was not our first time visiting Jamaica but the first time there so i know what to compare it to. I have to say in all it was an great experience. We met people who have used the resort 12 and 18 times! I start with this because the problems I will list should not deter people from using the resort assuming it is taken care off.

The Bad:

1. Water – The bathroom shower has a trickle. Literally. It was torture taking shower, let alone for me and my family of 5. This by far was the worst problem. Though they tried to fix it, it was not.

2. Service – The service was off and on. Resort staff at the bar and restaurant made it very clear that those who tipped got served. Knowing Jamaican medium income it almost created a resentment in me because it seemed like the attitude was “your American and can afford it” rather than “Your American and we appreciate you spending your money here” . I would rather tip out of service not requirement. However I have to also state that once I accepted that my vacation got better. I would have rather known that going in.
Also Speed – The speed in which you got a simple sandwich or drink was ridiculous (which resulted in large tips). We once waited over 1 hour for a meal that was the size of frozen food inner. The excuse was that the chef was busy. We also waited for a drink that took 45 minutes. The excuse again – the bartender was busy. It seems one chef and one or two bartenders handle the whole resort. Not good when the resort is full.
3. TV – The tv’s were small and the reception was horrible for the kids stations. Normally this would not be a complaint but in 8 days the kids need down time and with prices as cheap as they are or TV’s – get bigger ones – at least 21 inches.

4. The bus/van travel. In Jamaica it costs $1.25 to take a cab. We had to negotiate $80.00 to go about 15 miles with everyone in one car (they started with $155!). The was steep and I felt that not only did I have no choice, but that it was the one of many ways they get tourists. I have money. I do well. But I don’t like to be “got” – unrelated but as a further example At the airport they charged $6.00 for a stick of gum. $6.00!

5. Food – hit or miss. It was obvious they were reusing 1-2 day old food. I would see the refried beans served days prior for dinner show up at breakfast as If it was a delicacy. Really? To Get an omelet in the morning took easy 30 minutes with only 1-2 people in front of you. (the omelet problem I blame on low propane pressure the. It seems there gas is even weaker than the showers

If this resort can get people not to feel ‘gotten’ – e.g. tips, cab fare, food and fix their water pressure and TV’s they would be the premiere resort of the Caribbean. I go to relax but these problems pull you back to reality. However if posed with would I recommend it? I would say if I knew they were working on these issues, because again, the good does outweigh the bad.

The Good:
1. Nanny - I can’t say enough. It’s genius and they are happy to help. We had Selena. She is a star. When I asked her if she would be OK working New Year’s night – she said yes. When I asked her what she would be doing had she not been working with us on New Year’s – her response was “be in Church”. She got me right in the heart. Later I asked her if she was hungry, she said a little. I asked her if I could get her some food. She said She must follow the rules. I said what if I bring left overs back to the room. She said, she wouldn’t feel right because she appreciates rules. That was priceless. I had no problem trusting her with my kids. Selena was amazing. Ask for her if you go, but no if I’m going because I will have to arm wrestle you for her.

2. Location – Unbelievable – it’s a small beach but what a location. Gorgeous. Picturesque. I absolutely love going out on the pier and feeding the fish. In all my travels – I have to say this location was among the top 5.

3. Food – When it was on time, and fresh – they could do no wrong. Plus the servers (once tipped) were super – super accommodating. They greeted you with a smile and constantly filled your drinks

4. Kids activities – Amazing . My kids want to move to Jamaica

5. Scuba Diving – Christian, Fruity and Dave are the best. Too good. My son who scuba dived for the first time will ask me no less than once a week to go back. We literally trained him in the pool and were diving in the ocean and feeding fish with a 2 hour period. I have gone out with professionals that take that long to get ready.

6. Certain Staff members – they all stand out but some better than the rest – again once you tip – they will go above and beyond to help you.

7. Massage – OMG. I have had few in my life – but this was mesmerizing – she really took me to a different world. It seriously was an out of body experience. The trip is worth that alone.

8. The grounds – always clean – the plants, flowers, tress and vegetation was better breathtaking. I was taking pictures of that alone.

Here is the thing; If I go to other resorts I have opulence but I have to hire a nanny and worry about the kids. You get the opposite here. But if they changed certain things you could have the best of both worlds.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank David K
Trishawana, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your detailed review following your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments about the nanny, the amenities and the facilities.

There is always an abundance of food here at FDR and there is no restriction whatever on the amount of servings any family wishes at any meal. There were lots of Buffets at Breakfast, lunch and dinner during the period of your stay and we tried to ensure that there were lots of choices at every meal, plus snacking at the grill all day until 10pm.

We do apologize for the lack of water pressure and hot water on New Year’s eve- Our records indicate that there was a problem with the shower downspout and this was fixed right away and no other problems of this nature were reported from this room thereafter.

The taxi drivers are independent contractors and their rates are set by their Association. The rates reflect the miles for the trip as well as the waiting time. For example: a tour may include up to 3 hours of waiting time, while the distance may only be 15 miles return. The Front desk receptionists try to work out less costly options to pass on good savings for the families wishing to go on tours.

We have never had a problem here with staff needing tips to provide excellent service. We will however,pay immediate and careful attention to ensure that this does not become a problem.

We do regret that you found some of our services less than satisfactory and rest assured that we will endeavor to be worthy of your future support.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!