“Nice, Affordable Family Vacation Spot”

Franklyn D. Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The staff was amazing and courteous. The nannies were loving and the kids had no difficulty adjusting to them. They engaged the children in fun-filled activities. I recall that a co-worker's daughter cried when we were leaving as she became so attached to her nanny in just a weekend. The owner of the hotel was also very warm...great job Mr. Rance.

This is not a five star hotel, however, it's a great affordable spot. The rooms are beautiful and HUGE and the premises is well kept. See ya soon FDR!

Room Tip: All the rooms sell off!!!!!!!!(meaning they are nice and spacious)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TrinJackson

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I feel compelled to write a review after having just returned from FDR for the first time on Monday. My family was there 3/2-3/11. We have two children ages 3 and 7. We cannot stop talking about it. We had an absolutely amazing time there. The reviews on trip advisor were incredibly helpful as I knew just what to expect in terms of service, accommodations, food, and drinks. The thing that I was not expecting was the genuine feeling of comfort at this resort. It's size provides the feeling of a large family getaway, rather than a resort. When you walk through the pool area, restaurants or around the grounds, you learn everyone's name and feel at home almost instantly. Of course I would be remiss if I did not gush over our nanny Vivine! After one day my children were asking me when I was going to go do something else so they could play with Vivine at the beach. Vivine was absolutely wonderful, and she made our vacation something really special. Nothing was ever unachievable. She even cooked us up some awesome Jamaican food in our room, and we returned the favor, and cooked her a meal as well. She is a part of our family now. We each had our own experiences each day. The kids went to the beach or pool, I went to the gym, and my husband went on an awesome bike ride with Omercyre. There is a reason that so many of the reviews on this website say we just returned from our "first" trip. This is because, FDR provides something that larger, chain-like resorts cannot ever touch. The feeling of comfort and family is something that cannot be manufactured.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Betsyrocks
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I want to preface this by saying that I have never written a review for anything, but I felt compelled to in this case, because the only information we had about FDR was the reviews and I thought they were very accurate.

We had an amazing time at FDR from 2/25-3/3 and hated to go home.

Grounds and Facilities: The grounds of the resort are beautiful with lush green plants, trees and flowers and an excellent kids playground and beach area. I actually thought the swimming and snorkeling at the resort were better than I expected from the reviews and I preferred snorkeling at FDR as opposed to the resort next door because the water was calmer at FDR due to the protected cove. The only complaint is that most of the tile is very slippery when it is wet (although I could tell where a lot of it had been replaced with less slippery tile in high traffic areas) and I quickly learned to wear tennis shoes in the rain to prevent falls. We had water shoes on our toddler all of the time. We really enjoyed the work-out facilities overlooking the pool and the beach. Our little girl was too small to use the large waterslide but we loved it. My husband also enjoyed the tennis facilities and played with the pro and with some other guys he met.

Villas: The villas are older buildings but are very spacious (we had a 2 bedroom and 2 bath villa room 125 in Block 2) and had plenty of room to stretch out. We were well away from the noise of the pool and bar with the exception of Wednesday night on the beach and we were glad to be in our location. We never had a problem getting hot water as some reviews mentioned but we did have a difficult time controlling the temperature of the water and had to be very careful that it did not get to hot for our toddler's bath and for us while we were showering. Since our villa was two stories it was essential to have the gate at the top of the steps. My only personal wish was that there was a gate at the bottom of the steps as well because our toddler was absolutely fascinated by the open stairs and wanted to play on them constantly.

Food and Drink: Overall the food was good and breakfast and the grill were our favorite locations. We had dinner at the Pier restaurant one night and it was probably the best meal we had while at the resort. The kids dinner buffet was great especially since our toddler eats early and goes to bed early. The food is not fancy but it is nice. Loved the bar and its central location. Drinks were delicious and plentiful (Redstripe, pina coladas and rum and pineapple drinks were our favorites). We especially liked being able to order snacks and drinks to the room from our nanny so we could have cocktail hour while getting ready for the evening. I have never been to an all-inclusive place, but FDR was great. The evening 'Showtime' was a surprise to me but apparently is quite typical of resorts. I thought the shows were great for adults and kids!

Nanny: As stated in most reviews this is what makes FDR the most attractive. Monica was amazing with our 18-month old, and they loved each other instantly. We had absolutely no hesitation with leaving her with Monica for the entire day, and we could easily find them anywhere on the resort when we wanted to play! We used Monica's services every night during dinner and Showtime. I can't say enough wonderful things about her and how accommodating she was with our schedule and our daughter's schedule. Nannies can be requested in advance for FDR and we won't miss having her with us when we return next year!

2  Thank Rebecca N
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at FDR for the first time from January 18 to 24, 2013 with our two daughters 3 and 1 and all of us had such an amazing time, we're still talking about it. From a destination perspective, we have only ever been to the Mayan Riviera, so for this trip we decided to try Jamaica. We were not disappointed - what a wonderful place. Beautiful beaches, kind people and great food and FDR was the perfect resort for a family with toddlers to appreciate the location.

We arrived at the resort at 10pm after an hour shuttle ride from the airport. It had been a long day so we were pleasantly surprised when we were shown to our room and dinner was waiting in the kitchen of our 2 bedroom Oceanview Suite. This is really representative of the wonderful service we received throughout our stay. The suite was really like a condo and perfect for us - 2 floors with 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths upstairs, complete with gate on the staircase (we requested bathrooms with a bathtub as some only have stand up showers), with a kitchen, dining room, living room and walkout balcony on the main floor. The accommodations weren't fancy in terms of decor, but the room was clean and spacious and had all the amenities we needed. No air conditioning on the main floor, but ductless air conditioners in each of the bedrooms, which was enough for the time of year. The TV had a DVD player, so we brought DVDs with us to use during down time from activities. The fridge had been stocked on our arrival with juices, milk, fruit and cheese and crackers, along with cereal for the next morning. As many reviews have mentioned, we were able to ask our Nanny to stock all our favourite snacks, along with beer and wine, during our stay. The suite worked great for us since our girls go to bed at 8pm so we had space to enjoy the evening after they were asleep. The one downside (and this was one of our only complaints) was that there was very little hot water. We routinely ran out of hot water when showering, so remember to keep the showers short. Other highlights - free WiFi throughout the resort and the TV got Canadian stations (we watched hockey on CBC!) :)

The facilities, although probably more 3.5 star compared to other resorts, again were perfect for us. The pool was clean, never crowded and not too busy to get lounge chairs. There was a small shallow area where our girls could splash around and 2 mini slides. A baby slide with a tiny shallow pool was also nearby and a 100 ft slide by the beach. We loved the beach area, equipped with a multitude of sand toys (in fact, we didn't bring any toys for the kids - they were kept busy enough with everything at the resort) and shallow enough for them to play in the clean, clear water. We also spent some time on the beach at the next door resort that we were allowed to use - it had great snorkeling conditions and you could even stand in the waist deep water and feed bread to the fish.

Activities were all included and kept us busy the whole week. We took glass bottom boat rides, snorkeling trips (just off the resort so we were only away from the girls for an hour) and there were a million things for the kids to do - scavenger hunts, play area in the kids area with a ball pit, tie dying, crab races, pageants, arts and crafts, fishing off the boardwalk and more.

We really enjoyed the food as well. The grill had jerk chicken and pork, pizza, grilled cheese, burgers and hot dogs every day (try the jerk pork pizza - amazing!). I really appreciated the local food fare that was served at the beach buffet and even at breakfast. Lots of fresh fruit, but I think they could have used a bit more assortment of vegetables, especially for kids. Personally I loved all the grilled fresh fish and the rice and peas :)

And saving the best for last - the vacation nanny.... AMAZING. Tena was the obvious highlight of our trip. I have to say, after reading all the reviews, we thought we knew what to expect. We thought we wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the kids with a nanny for any period of time. 30 minutes after the girls met Tena, they walked away from us, waving "see ya later"! They really took to her right away and by the end of the trip, they were asking if she could visit us at home. For us it was about having the right balance of vacation. The girls were probably only away from us at most an hour and a half (when we went for dinner or the snorkeling trip) at one time, and the rest of the time Tena was like a member of the family. We would love to go back again and would request Tena again in a heartbeat.

Overall the trip exceeded our expectations - it was the perfect trip for us to take with our young kids. We didn't feel any need to leave the resort because everything we needed or wanted was there and having Tena there allowed us to relax and enjoy ourselves. Jamaica was a beautiful destination and we're glad we found FDR to enjoy it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank jpak517
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at FDR for 10 days from Feb 1-11, 2013 and had an amazing time.
We are: 2 grandparents, 2 parents and 3 little girls ages: 6, 3 & 8 months. We all stayed at FDR once before in Feb 2010 so we knew generally what to expect which was good.
We had suite 24 with 3 bedrooms which was was terrific in terms of layout and has obviously been recently updated. The rooms were much, much nicer than we expected (clearly an improvement over the last time we went). The A/C was great to have at night but unnecessary during the day. The location of the suite was ideal during the day and was only problematic during Kareoke night. Our first night there we were all exhausted from a long trip and the Kareoke was in the bar right across from our room. Needless to say, it was like having the activity RIGHT IN OUR BEDROOMS. I credit the resort with a great job of trying to balance the needs of those that want to participate in LOUD late night activities and our complaints. They thankfully moved Kareoke to the Pier (away from our suite) for 2 nights and then they made sure it shut down by 11pm on the one night it was at the bar again. Thank you FDR for being so accomodating! We really didn't want to change rooms.
Our nanny, Carmelina, was great with our kids and was very experienced at the resort which was a huge advantage. We liked her temperment and attitude and our kids loved her too.
The resort did a great job of providing lots of opportunities to keep the kids busy with both nannies and parent/grandparent caregivers. Our kids had a great time at goat/crab races, on boat trips, on fishing trips, doing Mini-Miss competitions, fashion shows, making bracelets & tie-die, making shell/flower collages. My husband particularly liked the daily tennis lesson for the girls and the ability to take the sailboats out with the eldest.
I really liked the eagerness of our nanny to stay EVERY afternoon & evening to put the kids to bed so that the adults could go out to eat (the grandparents would always come back at 8:15ish to relieve her).
The weather in Jamaica was amazing our whole trip and the girls were in the pool using the waterslides (both big and small) everyday.
The food at FDR is great in my opinion will lots of variety. It is the only all-inclusive I've ever stayed at but I'm a believer now! (especially with kids). We DID miss the breakfast & lunch buffet on the days it wasn't offered because numbers were low. It's really hard to order from a menu with three little ones. HOWEVER, at least there was always a 'partial-buffet' of fruit/salads/cereals/soup etc to tide them over.
The grill was a saviour too.
I loved the nights we could eat altogether as a family at the Beach buffet & the Jamaica night...but I also loved the concept of the 'Kids' Dinner' where kids eat early and then do an activity so the adults can eat later. It is the perfect combo (3 buffets while we were there and 6 Kids dinners for our family).
To all parents that haven't been to FDR: having a Vacation Nanny is worth ALL the trade-offs in the fact that the resort isn't 'gleaming' in my opinion. WE (parents) actually got a vacation! I'd trade any granite counters, dozen pools and brand new beach toys for that anyday.
Thanks again FDR....we'll definitely be back!

4  Thank goodtimemom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We just returned from our third visit to FDR and it keeps getting better. The reviews here are accurate, yes they run out of towels, and at peak shower time around 4pm there's little hot water, and the property is a bit tatty but the place is full of heart and terrific for kids and relaxing for adults. The staff is terrific, the owner is there almost every day making sure things run smoothly. Our nanny Sharlene is the best, fun, full of love for our kids, takes them swimming, fishing, and even hauls them out of the computer room after their 20 minutes of post-meal play. Knowing she is there and will help us with the kids is one of the main reasons we keep coming back.

Room Tip: The bar is noisy (and fun) at night with a dozen old friends listening to music and talking. But yo...
1  Thank matt z
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at FDR for a week with our 2.5yo twins and knew exactly what to expect. It's a small (almost B&B) hotel that is dedicated to families and making sure everyone enjoys themselves.

Rooms: Huge. Huge. Huge. Older fixtures and furniture, but was happy my toddlers wouldnt ruin anything. Everything a family with little ones could want.

Staff: Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Our Nanny Jasmine was awesome! Within 30 seconds of meeting her, she was playing on the floor with my kids. She also stocks your fridge every night with anything you want (beer, wine, milk, Cheerioes). She was truly amazing and responsible. Made it possible for us to go to the gym together every morning and have 2 hours of sun and drinks every afternoon during nap time. Would also acccompany them to the kids club when they would ask to go in there. Esp while the sun was shining :) Bartenders, wait staff, activity coordinators.... Even the lifeguards were all super friendly and helpful.

Beach: Small and calm. Removing the rocks would be beneficial for the bigger kids that can go in a little deeper. Lots of beach toys for all the kids to use.

Food: We had one bad meal out of 7 nights. Pretty good record. The kids grill provided typical toddler fare (thank God) and the best chicken wings that we ourselves frequently indulged in :)

Liquor: House wine was not good the first couple of days. They changed it and we were super happy. Red Stripe Light rocks! So does Jamaican Rum Creme on the rocks and Ryan's awesome daily rum specials.

Gym: suited our needs. The fact we got to work out 5 days is a miracle in itself!

Transfer: All airport shuttles make u wait. If u don't want to wait, schedule a private car. It is well worth the $100 when traveling with kids. Your driver will encourage beers for the ride!! Taking the shuttle back to the airport was no problem for the obvi logistics of a return trip is more tolerable by toddlers.

Our only real complaint was no hot water before dinner for showering.

We all had a true 'vacation' and would recommend to all families with little ones! Especially families with multiples!!!!
That extra set of hands on the beach is priceless!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Franklyn D. Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!