“Overall awesome-- a few tips” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Franklyn D Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Eagle, Colorado
“Overall awesome-- a few tips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Wow a really great vacation experience- we have 3 kids under age 3- 1 week- late march. The nanny was awesome, loved the spacious rooms (bedroom and large sitting room/kitchen. Awesome balcony view, pretty gardens, great activities for the kids- its not like the nanny's just sit in the room w them- there are so many activities for the kids of every age all day and evening. Food was pretty good. I was afraid the beach would be too small- but it really wasnt- it only seemed like "a lot of people" twice while we were there- although i hear there are more people there on weeks the kids are out of school. almost all the couples we met were repeat customers which i think says a lot: advice- if you go to do the dolfin tours- which were cool: i would rent a car that day and use the car to afterward visit nearby falls and go out for dinner- the taxi ride was 75$ and renting a car for the day was only 56$. Also try to go on a day that there are no cruises there- which the fdr front desk helps u with. I really recommend going to church the Sunday you are there- its cool to see the worship style in different countries. We liked the mediterranean style architecture- very cool and the size of the resort was perfect-- im just amazed noone has caught the idea and created a chain of family resorts in various locations--- there are little quirking things that could use a bit of attention- like some paint here and there- but overall we had a really awesome visit and would like to return someday. ...agreee w tipping the nanny well she works so hard

Room Tip: garden rooms are beautiful and ocean view are very nice
6 Thank Familyoffiveco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Monroe, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Can't share enough good from this place. We took our 10 year old and 2 year old there, and they both were entertained. I went diving, and the coral was perfect for a beginner, like me.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank JeffGaura
Calgary, AB Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Let me start by saying we are pretty sure we would return. This place is really unique and very fun for families. Having said that there is an awful lot of "average" going on there.

Good - Rooms are big and clean. We had a 2 bedroom. Our Nanny RuthAnn was excellent. Our son really liked her and she kept him very busy doing tons of things like crafts or fishing off the pier when we were relaxing. FDR has lots of great activities for the kids so our "guilt factor" in our own indulgence was usually ok. The nannies are great at letting us come in and come out for a family swim or slide or whatever and then go back to our selfish parent time! Our friends on trip with us had a Nanny Tamara who was also awesome (You can request these Nannies if you like in advance and we recommend it).

The place is intimate and small so its a "homey feel".

Overall the staff is excellent. By the end of the week we knew so many and they really seemed to want to make our stay happy - and were not grinding for tips at all. They have some characters like Harry who has been there 22 years and took us and the 3 boys fishing in a boat as a special request. The 3 year olds and 6 year old loved it. He was top notch. We tipped him well, but he certainly wasnt pushing for it. Real nice guy trying to make our kids have a good experience - and they did. We even saw dolphins. Caron, Ken, Carlene, Marsha, Tamika and so many others - thank you for making us feel like we were almost in our own home at FDR.

Tennis was fun - they have a young pro who is really helpful and fun. Great with kids.

Bad- Food isn't really bad but its just average. Buffets get old in a hurry. The a la carte places are ok and we enjoyed "Overproof". We hired a driver twice to go to "Scotchies"....an amazing local Jerk Joint towards Ocho Rios we highly recommend. The Jerk is killer and the sauce divine. We also had them take us for "tea" at the Jamaica Inn. This place is in stark contrast to FDR and was a nice little sea of tranquility experience. People like Winston Churchill and Marilyn Monroe called it their fav holiday place and you can see why - quiet beauty and elegance.

Rooms are old style - not fance but clean and functional. Our 2 bedroom was huge.(115)

The service is a bit lax at times. Glasses can sit around empty for a long time etc. Some of the attention to detail you would see at a higher end place is lacking, but nothing to worry about.

Ugly - The pools arent great for kids and I dont know if its sun screen or not but the big slide pool never looked clean the whole trip. Our son never had an issue with it (3) and loved the big slide but I couldnt see my wife get in there in a million years for that reason.

THE INTERNET WI-FI WAS TERRIBLE. DROVE ME CRAZY AS I TRIED TO DO A BIT OF WORK.

This place is truly different and fun. The pool, the food, the accomodation are all avg but the most important things they do very well and our son loved it - as did we. Our next door neighbors have 2 boys and have been 8 times - we now know why. One cant help when there to think that with some limited reinvestment etc FDR could be taken up a notch without sacrificing owner returns and affordability too much. I say that as as someone who has been involved owning hotels in Canada and St Lucia. Regardless, we would return.

Room Tip: Ask about views...the vegetation grows up fast and our 2nd floor view of ocean should have been grea...
7 Thank FidelCalgary
Simone123, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
We would like to thank you for sharing your kind comments about our staff and facilities at the Franklyn D Resort & Spa, following on your recent stay with us in March 2012.

Chlorine tablets are used in the main pool, while Chlorine powder is used in the big slide pool. Although the slide pool appears cloudy at times, it is tested 4 times per day to ensure the quality of the water remains fine.

The trees that are blocking the view from the balcony of room 115 are being trimmed to provide a better view of the garden and the ocean in the background.

In February 2012, we installed the latest 5GHz wifi antennas but these were not compatible with older iPods, computers and net books. On March 12, 2012, we began installation of four (4) 2.4ghz wifi antennas which has now corrected this problem.

The Franklyn D Resort & Spa is known for its warm and friendly service. Our readiness to assist and exceed our guest expectations has been honed in our 22 years of serving satisfied families. We look forward to hosting your family again in the near future.
Lenexa, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We just returned from our second trip to FDR, and it certainly won't be the last. We were traveling with our 3.5 year old son, 7 month old son, and a set of grandparents. Our 3.5 got the same nanny, Tamara Brown, he had a few years ago, and she was just as great this time as before. She is kind, personable, and really seems to care not just about our son, but us as well. Tamara was always engaging our son to try new activities, make friends, and in general had fun. She made sure that he drank fluids throughout the day, was always slathered in sunscreen, had some quiet down time for resting, yet always made it to the next activity. Our 7 month old had Loraine Brown as his nanny, and she was just wonderful as well. Loraine took care of his every need from holding him while he napped, feeling and bathing him, dancing at the kids parties, and everything in between. At no point during our trip did I feel at all uncomfortable with my children in the care of these two ladies. They worked as a team to make sure my sons, as well as my husband, myself, and the grandparents had the most amazing time.
The food this trip was great! I can't say it is a 5 star, but I would rate it as just as good as a cruise ship or other inclusive place. Sometimes I would even say better since FDR is not making 500 meals all at once, so you get your food more fresh and made to order.
The wait staff is excellent, and really strive to make sure you enjoy each and every meal. The guys at the beach grill are fun, personable, and make some mean jerk chicken! They are great with the kids, and really just make the day more fun.
The bar staff is excellent! They really take the few moments each day to say hi, ask how you're doing, and mix up the best drinks! Taking a few moments to get to know them back make the trip that much more fun.
The hotel itself is showing a little age, but nothing I couldn't look past. My room, while not decorated with the latest and greatest, was always clean and neat, and had everything I wanted or needed.
The Yellow Bird Kids Club was fun, and my kids had a blast there. The surrounding play area was great as well. Again, not always the latest and greatest, but you don't always need that, and my kids had fun with what was provided.
The big negative about the hotel, and we thought this last time as well, is the use of ceramic tile on all the walkways and around the pools. When it rains or the pool splashes, this tile gets so slick, and the risk of falling is great.

Room Tip: Be careful when walking on the slick tile - it is easy to fall.
3 Thank mrshart01
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I just read the most recent review and she was right on the spot.
We arrived Saturday afternoon and my brother in law asked us (we have been to many mega resorts) what we thought of the resort. We had gone to the buffet late and most of the food was gone and the resort was small. We were very disappointed, UNTIL the next morning!! Patrina and Elodine arrived!!! The two nannies whisked away our 3 and 1 year old, we were worried about the 1 year old and he went without even looking back. We had the best week, the first time my sister did not say half way through the week she was ready to go home because she was tired from chasing the kids. The small, intimate setting was wonderful, we could find the kids within minutes. It was great to play with the kids and when they got bored with us, we did not have to follow them to the playground. You can find most of the information about the resort from the other reviews, I wanted to add a few things that I never saw here and I did not know existed.
1. The resort has a nurse on staff and a doctor that comes when asked. The nurse is very helpful with tummy aches and anything not very serious. The doctor can take care of the serious cases.
2. The adult activities are wonderful, a morning bike ride (Merci is a great tour guide, he will answer endless questions), snorkeling in the afternoon (as long as it is not too windy, safety is first), fun games at the pool, booze cruise on Thursdays, and tennis lessons. Of course you can only participate in these activities because of the nannies.
3. The staff, they will help with anything you need. My brother in law wanted a certain whisky and they ordered it for him. The staff gets to know you by name by the end of the week and know from what you like to drink at breakfast, to what your children are allergic too.
4. The nannies, I cannot say enough. Elodine and Patrina took great care of the kids. If you have children with different interests or are too young to play with the same things, I would go with 2 nannies. We found it was better to keep them in the evening. We found we had to ask them to stay at dinner, they had fun activities for the kids every night. This included two nights with shows, a dance, and playing with all of the other kids at the kids club. They also really appreciate putting the time in while they are working for you for the week. Our little guy had an ear infection (we found out when we got home), but his nanny (Elodine) took such good care of him. When he was not himself she swung with him in the hammocks and let him play quietly on the slides by himself. The ladies follow the lead of the kids, while including them in the activities of necklace making, painting, tie dyeing, and family fun day. They make your week.
5.. The resort will schedule activities for you such as Dunns River Falls, or Dolphin Cove. Talk to the front desk.
6. Request water from your nanny or you can also buy larger waters from the gift shop. You can also schedule your spa treatments in the gift shop. Stacey is wonderful for the massages.
7. I agree with the most recent post, the beach next door is very easy to access. The security guard for the resort will ask your room number to make sure everyone is accounted for and no one goes missing. You walk through a gate, very easy, the water is warm and shallow for the younger ones.
8. The resort closes down early, the loud music from the bands and any other noises shut down around 9:30, which means the restaurants do too. Make sure you go to dinner before then. The buffets are good to go to before 8:30. A good thing for the late night parents, the bartender stays until the last guest has gone to bed. Great to stay up with the husband who thinks they are still in their 20's one night.
9. Get a private transfer from the airport, especially if you are flying in on a Saturday. Waiting in lines at the airport is very tiring and then to sit in a bus that has to stop at every other resort will get very old for the little ones. We went through Reggae tours, they picked us up in an air conditioned van, provided child seats, and even stopped for some Red Stripe on the way.
10. I think the last thing to mention are the guests, we met wonderful people. The resort is very small and intimate, so you have an opportunity to meet very interesting people from all over. The same people are sitting next to you at every meal, many times guest joined parties. In the past when we have gone to the Mega resorts, we met different people every day because you never saw someone more than once.
Sorry, one more thing, the beds were great, very comfortable, which is usually not the case in the big resorts!!!
I hope this helps with anyone looking to go to the resort, if you have other questions, please feel free to contact me. We are already planning our trip next year!

13 Thank NCgirl1
Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed at the FDR the last week of February 2012. Our children are 3 1/2 and 2 yrs old. We loved it! I thought the majority of tripadvisor reviews are spot on. The property is older, and the rooms could use some updating. But you are there for the nannies, and the wonderful staff. The property is small, but that is a plus when vacationing with young children. I read many comments about the beach front -- it is a small cove. But again, if you have young children it is a wonderful place for them to play! The Breezes property is a two minute walk, and is easily accessible (the reviews of jumping fences are outdated). That beach is gorgeous, and we spent time there each day, but I did find it windy. I was happy my children had a smaller cove to play in. The pool was great, and my 3 1/2 son enjoyed the water slides. The highlight of this resort though is the nannies. We had LaTasha, and she was fantastic!! She was so confident, the kids loved her, and I felt comfortable leaving them in her care. We did opt for a second nanny (Shantoya, who was also wonderful with the kids) for my 2 yr old because she is a handful. Latasha could have managed them both easily, but for $20 a day, having the second nanny gave us peace of mind that if my daughter needed some 1:1 attention, it would be there. I am a stay-at-home mom, so I was a little concerned that my children wouldn't warm up to the idea of spending time with a nanny right away, but my son waved goodbye to us each morning at 9am when they came to get them. The resort does cater to children, and there are plenty of activites to keep them busy all day. Next year -- and we plan to go back!!!-- we will use just one nanny. My husband also noticed that the nannies on the resort work as a team... when the kids are playing in the same area, the nannies are engaged, and keep an eye on all of them. He really appreciated that. My husband and I spent several hours a day playing with our kids, and several hours a day without the kids. We went out to dinner 4x that week, and could enjoy our meal without the challenges of having toddlers dining with us. It was truly a vacation for us all!! Most relaxed we've been since having children. We look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Etta231
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Our family just returned from FDR..myself, wife and kids 4 and 1 (turned one on the trip). We had read the reviews but were still not sure what to expect. The very first day, we met our Nanny Keisha...and instantly we felt at ease. She was extremely attentive, loving and comforting...and my wife and I very quickly were able to relax and trust her with our children. As my wife says.."She is absolutely amazing!"

Throughout the week we had time to spend with the kids doing activities ( pool, beach, games) as well as time to ourselves to relax, read and hang out with friends that also came on the trip.

The food was the BEST of any all-inclusive we have experienced (which includes Mexico, Dominican Republic, and Belize).

Facilities were ideal for kids, with beach toys, play centers, playground, pools all set up for kids of various ages...and they cleaned them regularly.

Staff throughout the resort were very friendly and helpful...going out of their way to greet us...and our kids... (thanks to Harry, Sanjay and Rodane whom made lasting impressions)

I will stress one key point for anyone looking to stay at this resort...there are kids everywhere. If you are going for a party atmosphere, or to relax without kids...this is not the resort for you.

Lastly...expect the look of the property to be a 3.5 star. It is very nice and clean, but do not expect a fancy 4 or 5 star property.

Room Tip: Resort is small so all rooms are in a good location. If you want beachfront..request it.
4 Thank CalgaryFam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!