“Best family vacation EVER!”

Franklyn D. Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband & I brought our 1 year old son to FDR in November for 5 days. We were a little skeptical about the idea of leaving him with the vacation nanny before we arrived. We knew right away that we had made the right choice when we met Lisa. She was great with our son and we never worried once. The resort is small enough that your child is never far away, but mom & dad can completely relax knowing baby is in good hands. We also had Lisa stay over one evening so that we could have dinner alone, which was wonderful. The resort is not a luxury spot, but it is very clean, the staff is phenomenal and you get to meet a lot of other parent & kids in a very fun environment. We CANNOT WAIT to go back this year! If you have small children and are on the fence about visiting FDR, don't be. Book your trip today!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Nikki074

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We went to FDR actually in 2010. It is a great place for children and teens as the activity directors AKA nannies really help manage the children and teens. It gives the parents a time to relax yet being close enough to see that they are being taken care of. It is small but beautiful location with their beach connecting to other beaches that allow you to walk for miles. The chef's are wonderful. My mother is deabetic and I requested desserts that she could eat and they made special desserts EVERY night. We had a birthday and they made special food for that. They make you feel like royality. Their service is top notch!

Room Tip: They were remodelling rooms so not sure.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank georgiabum
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We just returned from our first trip to FDR. FDR is a great family resort. They ideally set up for families with kids 8 and under due to the nannies, but my 15, 14, and 11 year olds are ready to schedule another trip. The teen and preteen coordinators do a great job with the kids. They always have something planned and do a great job of encouraging the kids to be involved.

My 11 year old loves to spend the entire day in the water and having the nanny to follower her around allowed me time to relax.

The bar and bartenders were great.

The food is not as good as other all inclusives I have visited, but is was fine. The property is old and could use some updating and repairs. But, it has many charming features and great views.

FDR's biggest strength is that they please the kids and they do it better than any place outside of Disney that I have ever visited.

If you are looking for cavier and exotic marble bathrooms, FDR is not the place for you. If you are a couple with no kids, this is not the place to visit. But, if you are looking for a great family vacation that allows the family to have fun together or apart, FDR is a great choice.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank dbthokie
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We returned to Texas from our first visit to FDR on Dec 21, 2011. My group included my wife and me, our three children (ages 8, 6, and 2), and my parents. I have been to many resorts in the Carribean and I have to say this property is very unique. The people at FDR make all the difference .. .from the nannies who make you feel comfortable and give parents the ability to spend individual time with each child, to the grill chef who fried the small fish my son caught on the pier, to the owner who is very willing to share a beverage with you and tell stories about Jamaica and the resort history. The resort grounds are compact (which made it feel safe to me) and the facilities and food are average.

If you are looking for a large beach, gourmet food, swim up bar or late night parties, then this resort isn't for you. If you are looking for a low stress way to enjoy the Carribean with your children and friends, then there is no better place than FDR. We will be visiting again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank R H
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I'm really surprised by all of the great reviews. My husband and I arrived at this resort in November 2011 with high expectations and were so disappointed that we left the following morning. It is merely a babysitting resort. I suppose it's the nannies that everyone else is raving about. My husband and I didn't bring our son (10) and thank goodness we didn't because even he would have been disappointed. The beach is no more than 200 feet long and most of the sand is being used for kid’s toys and play houses. Staff suggested we use the beach of the resort located next door. That would have required scaling a 10ft fence or walking over by street. She told us the water and sand was fair game but we shouldn't use their beach chairs or they would get upset! Woe! There are only two restaurants on the resort and the food is just okay. As for adult entertainment… there isn’t any, the kiddies have to get to bed early so the place is a ghost town after 9 p.m. Our room was a nice size. However after a shower the entire bathroom floor turned into a kiddy pool. The room and the common areas of the resort could use an update – and the toys and play areas need to be thrown out and replaced! Parents, if you’re looking for a place to stay with a nanny service and your expectations are low this is the place for you. Couples beware!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
15  Thank polkt
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D. Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2011

The Guests arrived at the Franklyn D Resort & Spa on November 12, 2011 at 4:15pm.
In the evening at 7:24pm they reported to the Front Desk that they would like to be transferred
to a large adults only Resort the following morning at 11:00am.
On the night the guests stayed at FDR we had a gala and live local entertainment which was the highlight of the week. In the morning at 11:00am on November 13, 2011, the guests were delighted to be transferred to a thousand room, hotel in the area.

We would like to thank you for sharing your review with us and apologize for any inconvenience
experienced on your vacation. FDR aims consistently to deliver a professional and hospitable
service to our guests and trust you will visit with us again in the near future with your family.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

Again!!!! This is our 3rd time this year!!! Our favorite home away from home! Wonderful staff!!! Amazing nannies!! Loraine and Sanique!!! I would say... our 4th time will be sometime in the next future!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Yeah my comments are like many others - We read reviews so we were prepared for the "entrance run down look" This place is not BLING BLING - This place is ... a gift to stressed parents. I am an Army Officer, my bride and I stayed with our 3 young boys 2, 4 and 6 yrs while we were moving to Germany (June 10) . I am writing this from Afghanistan. I was just informed that I will be moving the family back stateside May/June 12. My wife sent me a link to FDR's repeat customers discount deal page. Even without that KILLER deal we would be seriously exploring the option of returning. Last time we spent 12 days - and I reconnected with my bride (of going on 16 yrs) in romance, smiles, and touches of the hands. What a God send and a soldier needs memory moments to carry them through the long deployments (41+ months now). Now about the Nanny - Coretta - patient - very responsible. - PEOPLE TIP YOUR NANNY they earn it!! At first we didn’t know how much to rely on our Nanny, boundary issues etc. But the boys feel in love instantly and as soon as I trusted her (almost immediately) I empowered her in front of my boys, "whatever she says - you respect her and obey understand" - Once the expectations where known, wow. Over the days I got better and better at snorkel diving and was able to get to the 40 ft level and started to pull up Conk. The owner (who is there often) saw me with one and called the Chef over and had him prepare it special for dinner, awesome! Okay nothing is perfect, you don’t go to Jamaica for their beef, but wow the fish rocked. And don’t get me started about the rum. After a date night (Nanny Coretta watch over the boys) I would take back a couple of rum drinks to the room for my wife and I to enjoy. :) And there were other little imperfections but I am not going to spend effort on them. I will simple say, if you got kids you will not be disappointed and if something does concern you tell your Nanny they will do what they have to, to ensure you are happy. Don’t tell my soldiers but I still have my ankle bracelet that a local lady made for my on my right leg (yeap under my combat boots) and it’ll stay there till it rots off! Good times!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Franklyn D. Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!