“A wonderful, comfortable pleasure!”

Zion Country Beach Cabins
Ranked #2 of 26 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Canberra
“A wonderful, comfortable pleasure!”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

The cabins were so cosy and comfortable, in such a serene and beautiful location. The whole environment of the cabins was warm and inviting especially because Free-I and everyone who works there are so kind and fun. There is a spectacular feeling you get, of visiting family, as we all - guests and employees - hung out together having a drink and playing dominos on the verandah, after a delicious home cooked meal.
Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! I love it!!!! and plan on going back again ASAP =)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Mexico
Reviewed May 5, 2010

From the minute I got to Zion Country I was greeted and treated like a friend.
My room was minimal, but had everything I needed. I didnt spend much time there any how. You probably wont want to either, when you see how much Portland, Jamaica has to offer. Staff and locals are more than willing to help you see the beauty of their town.

The main man of the house, Free-I, was very cool. A hard working man who also knows to have a good time. Free-I shared some time with us, and gave us pointers on getting on with the locals. We even got to tag along for an amazing ride along the country side to chill at Winnifred beach. Owen was a great host, he set me up with everything I needed, and he cooks great meals. I recommend having dinner there. Tamar is a gorgeous Jamaican girl and a sweet hostess. I owe her a mango for the next time I come to Zion.

There are great sights to see, and the Long Road community is very nice and chill people. Tourism is not commercialized here, so do not expect the campy attractions you find in resort towns. For a real true and pure vision of Jamaica I highly recommend Portland. My girlfriend has visited Jamaica 3 times prior, and she said this was her favorite. So if youre looking for a more authentic and less predictable trip, this is the place for you. Lastly, eat the fruit there. They have the best fresh grown fruits, ever.

Bless,
Joe Rio

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
NY
Reviewed May 5, 2010

A little paradise in Port Antonio. Super pretty, friendly staff. The location is amazing. would absolutely go back again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I was travelling alone in Jamaica and I didn't want to go to an all-inclusive compound resort and spend the holiday behind a fence feeling that I could be anywhere sunny in the world.
Free-I , the owner of Zion Country, is a busy, hardworking guy, but took the time to introduce me to people in the local community and share his time and company. Owen is a great cook and a lovely guy and chilled out with me and offered me good insights into life in Jamaica. Tamar is also a very nice person and was very welcoming and friendly. The scenery is absoultely stunning , the cabins are comfortable and the facilities are excellent. Reach falls and the Blue Mountains are within striking distance and you can chill out at Zion Country, have a beer and a chat to folk in the community or plan trips from Zion Country to many more great places in Jamaica.
There are beautiful beaches very nearby where you can chill with a beer and meditate in the sun or shade as the waves massage your mind. I visited reach falls with other guests and it was like the garden of eden. We had a Rastaman called Ray-i as our guide and as well as the scenery , you could literally feel how in tune he was with nature and the spirit of the place- it was a totally positive vibration, gentle, yet very powerful. My stay at Zion Country was the perfect start to my trip in Jamaica and gave me the confidence to fully experience Jamaica during the rest of my trip. I would encourage people to visit Zion Country and other places like it, to experience the real Jamaica and get to know some of the amazing people and rich culture and history of this country. Places like this are sometimes called 'alternative' but to me, this is a misnomer: you can gain a taste of the real Jamaica by avoiding the huge resort complexes , and relaxing, listening ,learning and supporting businesses like this which help people experience Jamaica without destroying the natural environment and exploiting the place and the people. I didn't see my trip as alternative at all - it was a safe way to learn something profound about this beautiful part of the world and to appreciate humanity, culture and art which has influenced the world.
One Love, Robbie Handy (Scotland)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank juicetiger
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Zion Country is an "off the beaten path" place that offers a unique opportunity to enjoy Jamaica without staying in a highly trafficked touristy place. We really enjoyed our stay here. We feel as though we got to experience the sights and people of the Long Road community. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Free-I, the proprietor of Zion Country, has created a unique place. Its landscaping is truly beautiful. Allow yourself the time to explore the coast. We took the route taxis up and down it and saw many different sites (i.e. Frenchman's Cove, Winifred Beach etc.) A highlight was going to Reach Falls with the tourguide Rennie.

Zion Country is great! Our only criticism is that they did not have any hammocks available. Apparently they ordered some, but they hadn't arrived yet. Thanks to the entire staff at Zion Country (Free-I, Owen and Tamar)! We had a memorable vacation!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Brussels
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Zion Country is GREAT. We booked for 3 nights but if I had to do it again, we'd stay longer (booking essential !!). It's so easy to get around in Portland from Zion and there is so much to see ! The cabins are confy, the surrounding is beautiful and quiet, the food is good and the red stripe nice and cold. A little piece of paradise.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Free-I (the owner) is a landscaper. His garden is a pure beauty. He had a vision 15 years ago in turning a wild piece of land into a superb but simple bed and breakfast lodge.
To us, the best of its kind in the whole area.
2 double cabins with a lovely terrace, as well as 3 cold water showers built among the banana trees with a beautiful view of the sea (a must experience !) . Cold but revigorating water !
This easy going place is perfect for those who want to get away from electronic devices, crowded places, sophisticated all-inclusive resorts and just enjoy the pure beauty of the island, its people, its music and its tropical rhythm
We felt absolutely safe in Zion Country and well advised about dos and donts for our daily excursions.
Our teens said they had their best vacation ever !

Photos from other travelers already posted reflect the absolute charm of the place.

Dinner is available on request. And we definitively advise to try Owen's delicious meals.

We would recommend to have a car to move around unless you appreciate the daredevil style of driving of jamaican cab drivers

We left the place with sadness and hope to be back again
One love.