“Best Vacation Ever”
Review of Moon San Villa

Moon San Villa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This was my first trip to Jamaica.. and most memorable vacation ever.. Moon San Villa is a very charming place with amazing views and the friendliest staff. There is so much to do in Port Antonio.. you must check out the rafting on the Rio Grande..(which was my most favorite and beautiful experience).. with Rachel's guided tour thru the jungle to a breath taking waterfall... along with Winnefred(the food made at the rum shack on this beach was delicious) and San San beaches..and the Blue Lagoon just steps away from the villa.. (this is definitely the most beautiful with unbelievable blue waters!) I must say I am ready to go back....If you are wanting to experience "true" Jamaica, this is the place to stay.. All of the experiences on this trip would not have been possible at a resort.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tlcmdc

Reviewed June 22, 2011

First of all you need to have a sense of adventure to truly appreciate what the Moon San Villa has to offer, and I honestly can’t say enough about my stay there. I have travelled all over the Caribbean and the Moon San is a unique location in a safe area full of energy. I needed a place to stay in Jamaica because I was in the middle of island hopping and was on a flight layover for only 2 days. I didn’t want to stay in a hotel the whole time in Kingston and I really wanted to make the most of my stay on the island as possible. I came across the Moon San and immediately knew it was something special as soon as I saw the website. Come to find out 2 nights was definitely not enough time, so I already planned a trip back there to finish off my island hopping adventure!! Greg immediately corresponded with me and answered every single question that I had, and I had a lot too because I was traveling solo for the first time to beautiful Jamaica. Greg arranged transportation (for a cost) for me to be picked up at the airport by the most awesome tour guide ever! On the way up to the villa (which is a 3 hour cab ride) we stopped by gorgeous Reach Falls. My driver, Peety was as excited as I was about the waterfalls so he borrowed somebody’s swim trunks and went swimming with me! He showed me all of the underwater caves and even took some great pictures for me also. Very, very cool guy with so much energy! I finally arrived to the villa and was greeted immediately by Marcus who helped me get settled and showed me all around the area including Monkey Island and the Blue Lagoon. He has an awesome personality and truly loves Jamaica who was also a great person and guide. I got to the villa quite late and needed some dinner so Marcus navigated the cab rides with me to a local restaurant and also the Boston Jerk market. Let me tell you Marcus really knows his good Jamaican food! We ended up making the same trip the second night I was there because the food was that good!! He stayed with me the whole time so I felt completely safe, which is important for any woman traveling to a foreign country by herself. Also there is a full kitchen there so you can bring your own food back and cook it whenever you please. The next day I woke up and met sweet Donna who made a great breakfast for me (which is included in your room rate). I wanted to see the blue lagoon again before the day got started so Marcus walked with me through the area down to the lagoon and past the nice locals trying to sell me this or that. Swimming in the Blue Lagoon is amazing between the water is warmed from the sun and cold by the local spring at the same time. Then I met Greg’s daughter Rachel who is an awesome girl! She was taking other guests (who also happened to be females too!) to the most amazing bamboo raft ride down the Rio Grande River. In the middle of the ride Rachel took us hiking through a forest containing Plantains, Banana’s, and Bamboo to a stunningly beautiful natural waterfalls! My camera broke prior to arriving in Jamaica so Rachel even took great pictures for me! Rachel’s legend is true…. she truly runs on Jamaica’s battery’s for real! Again I can’t say enough about the villa so if you want to catch a glimpse of true Jamaica then I highly recommend that you stay at the Moon San Villa...I know I will, again!

Room Tip: Just ask Greg!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Hafty
Reviewed April 8, 2011

My gf and I wanted to go to a place that's not like your typical Sandal's resort. We figured we can get that in the states. We wanted the true Jamaican experience and that is exactly what we got. This B&B takes great care of you. Breakfast is made by Donna whenever it is you decide to wake up and there is multiple items to choose from. For dinner if you feel like staying in she can prepare you dinner. If you can think of the dish, she will prepare it. We recommend her jerked chicken for dinner. Jermaine is there also and he did a phenominal job taking care of all of our other needs from rides to the local beaches, showing us around the markets, the best local food/restaraunts, taking us snorkeling, to the blue lagoon, rafting, biking the Blue Mountain and the list goes on. If you are looking for a beautiful and relaxing vacation where the only thing you have to do is what you want to do at your own leisure we highly recommend Moon San Villa

Room Tip: Spend the couple extra bucks for the Master Suite
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Over looking the ocean, Moon San Villa is set at an ideal location for visiting the world famous Blue Lagoon and the Frenchman’s Cove as well as beautiful bays such as Winifred and San San. It is also set in an ideal location for activities such as the Blue Mountain Bike Ride, visit to the Reach Falls and the river rafting at the Rio Grande. Moon San, with a unique character, provides very comfortable accommodation for its visitors. We stayed in the master bedroom which has excellent views of the ocean. It is spacious, decorated in Jamaican style, with plenty of storage space and also equipped with air conditioning. If you stay at the villa, you have a reduced rate for the Blue Mountain Bike Ride. The real icing on the cake is the charming people who run the Moon San Villa. The owner Greg knows everything to know about the area and he is very happy to steer his guests in the right direction. The wonderful Donna is the best chef there is in Port Antonio, possibly in entire Jamaica. Penny has been excellent in explaining everything to us and has been great company to be with. Jermaine is the ‘No problem!’ man! Impossible is nothing to Jermaine – he is there to make you happy! He is the transport man by road or by sea – The latter is with the villa’s boat African Star! Finally, Rachel – a charming person who is both fun to be with but also passionate about Jamaica and its people. Try going snorkelling with Rachel at Temple area which is near Monkey Island! You will love the under water scenery! With her immense energy, enthusiasm and willingless to help the guests, Rachel is definitely powered by Jamaican batteries!! The area of Port Antonio is both tropical and tranquil - totally unspoilt but unlikely to remain like that beyond 2013 – so visitors should plan their visits before then! If you go there, Moon San Villa should be right at the top of your list!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2011

What a fantastic location this is. Right next to the blue lagoon and there is a boat to take you around the surrounding area. Jermaine picked us up at the airport and nothing was too much trouble for him. He took us to anywhere we wanted to go, helped us find the freshest fish and then cooked it for us in the evening. Unusually for Jamaica, he would cook for any time to suit us. I have found in the past that if the staff cook for you they normally want you to eat at 6pm latest which does not suit us at all. As expected there was rain during our stay, but then again Portland would not be as stunning as it is without the rain. We moved on to negril after our stay here and then finished in Treasure Beach, I would highly recommend a stay here as we left feeling very relaxed, well fed and the beauty of the area is outstanding

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2010

My partner and I stayed 8 days at Moon San Villa for celebrating her 30's birthday. Our experience was amazing thanks to our hosts who have introduced us to hidden and beautiful sides of Jamaica. The villa is nearby at an enchanting garden, entrance to Blue Lagoon, which is full of colorful flowers, majestic plants and lovely birds. We had great time with Greg, Rachel, Penny who shared with us enjoyable and genuine time. We were brought to an hidden water fall nearby Rio Grande, which was undoubtedly one of our best memory snapshots, to an ancient dancing show within a charming place made of bamboo and rocks, and to explore the tropical forest which is a masterwork of art while meeting extraordinary persons. We could visit other many places thanks to their advises and helpful arrangements.
If you look for traveling and meeting local people In Port Antonio without being considered just a tourist, this is the perfect gateway. We would advise Mon San Villa to any people who want to discover Jamaica much beyond a touristic outlook.
Luca & Sally

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I was looking to experience true Jamaica. I wanted to have a relaxing and authentic trip. The staff and owners of Moon San Villa exceeded my expectations. I felt like part of the family as opposed to a customer. From the moment I woke up I was in a fairy tale. There is truly hidden beauty in Port Antonio. The people of the Parrish welcomed me with open arms and I enjoyed touring around on foot and with Jermaine the Villa's driver. The Blue Mountain Bicycle tour that comes with the visit is truly an experience of a lifetime. To see the beauty of the mountains as you breathe in the fresh air was truly a lifetime experience for me. Everyone went out of the way to make my entire visit exceptional. I can't wait to visit again! I truly found a piece of my fairy tale atop Fairy Hill, Port Antonio Jamaica!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo