“" Our trip to Goblin Hill "”

Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Kingston, Jamaica
“" Our trip to Goblin Hill "”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Goblin Hill Villa #12 on the weekend, OCT 20-22, 2013. We arrived around 6pm and checked in to our villa with the help of Bellhop who used a Hand truck to transport our bags and groceries.
On entering our villa it smelled musty like it had been locked up for a while. I decided to unpack the groceries when I noticed the stove had a missing burner which was camouflaged with foil paper and full of rust from the sea air. Three of the pots used for cooking had a missing handle and looked old. The kitchen cupboards could do with a good coat of paint and they smelled too !! I was wondering if I should unpack or just leave everything in the box.
When I sat down in the Living room sofa, I was shocked to see what looked like a Television from the 70s !!! it was a 13" with a big back extending all the way to the wall and no remote to turn the damn thing on or off. Then the staff turned up with a cable box which never worked and promised to come back the following day with another which never happened.
So far our entire trip, we could only watch CVM or TVJ and had to bundle up like we were at a camp site to watch the TV.
The ceiling fan in the living room seemed like it was tired of running and decided to spin in slow motion.... so I asked the housekeeper to get us a fan that worked. She told us to call the front desk and make a report at which point I asked for the manager.
When he came to our villa, I started to complain at which he made no apologies and made me sound as if I had no right to complain !!! He saw nothing wrong with the stove, told me the owners were pleased with the size of the TVs in the room and the cupboards were fine !!! i think he was rude and was not suited for his position.
When it was time for bed, I made my way upstairs and was greeted by a cockroach sleeping in my bed !! By the time I was through with him, he was no where in sight. At this point I needed to change the sheets and put on some fresh ones which were so washed out and looked like they belonged in the garbage.
The towels in the bathroom seemed brand new and after taking a shower realized I was covered in lint from head to toe !!!
The hot and cold water mixer in the shower seemed to have crossed path and barely worked. The bathroom needs a complete renovation and underneath the face basin was dripping water.
As I lay myself down on the bed with sheets that were not smelling fresh, I decided to turn on the ceiling fan which had so much dirt and seemed liked it had not been cleaned in over a year. I had to quickly turn the fan off and use the ac all night. When we both got up in the morning we could see the dust particles on the not so white sheet.
From the looks of things I could bet the ac filter had not been changed in years.
The next day we had the maintenance crew fixing the leak in the face basin and cleaning the fans.
There was no clock and radio in the entire villa which I thought was strange !!
The grounds at Goblin Hill are beautiful but I wasn't paying all that money to stay outside. I think Management needs to go through and renovate each and every villa. There's an old saying and it goes " You need to spend monies in order to make monies ".

We were very disappointed with our accomodation and would not be recommending this property to anyone who wishes to visit Portland.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank venesa26
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
The guest who wrote this review had made a last-minute booking for two nights on a popular holiday weekend, in the last two bedroom villa, which due to a cancellation had become available.

Generally, guests who arrive late, and tired after a long drive, tend to adjust less easily to their new accommodations, than those who arrive earlier in the day. We have noticed that by the next morning and after a night's sleep, our late- arriving guest settles in to enjoy their stay.

This guest however had so many complaints on arrival that I anticipated that we would hear from her the next morning, and I prepared to offer her a full refund of her deposit of one night's stay and, if she wished, assist her in finding alternative accommodation in the area.

We did not see her the following day, and she stayed for the second night she had booked, sign that she was, after all, enjoying her stay. I nevertheless decided not to charge for her first night when she went to check out ( she "forgot" to mention this in her exhaustive description ).

While some of the guest's complaints were valid, and I apologized to her for them (yes, the local cable company has insufficient cable boxes, Port Antonio is still waiting for other cable companies to offer their services, and we are currently making arrangements to install our own dish ; there was a burner missing with foil on it, not to hide it but just to close the hole), some were not (we do not have any 13" TVs, the smallest TV we have measures 20"- not huge, admittedly, but not tiny ; the hot/cold mixer worked well when we tested it; she did not mentioned anything to me about any cupboard; ...). She also complained, but did not mention in her review, that the refrigerator door was defective; when a bellhop found that an item she put inside the fridge was blocking it, and adjusted it, the door closed properly.

A large amount of kitchen supplies, and new towels had arrived for the weekend, but because the hotel was 100% full and staff was very busy, they were not all distributed to the villas, nor laundered before distribution. We regret this, but we are not trying to save monies (sic), as inferred, and are spending as much as we can afford to improve our villas.

We are blessed with arguably the most spacious grounds and gardens and beautiful and breathtaking location in Jamaica, which we tend lovingly (It is a pity that our guest says she did not intend to spend much time outside). Many guests simply choose to sit for the first day enjoying the relaxing view of the sea and mountains, or watching hummingbirds and the other 28 endemic species that call our twelve acre property home, filled as it is with peaceful spaces, trees, flowers and acres of manicured lawns. Typically, our guests relax and allow their personal cook/housekeeper to unpack their groceries, and spoil them with meals prepared to taste.

Although Goblin Hill was designed and laid out by an award winning architect who sited all the villas for views and a sense of privacy, our property is now 40 years old and is priced in the range of a 3 1/2 star hotel, (although our location is 5 star with awesome 6 star views). My response to the criticisms voiced was not meant to infer that newer equipment would not be desirable, but that they bore some relationship to the price range. There are 5 star hotels in Port Antonio with 42" TVs and brand new buildings and furnishings, but the price range is 2 to 3 times what is charged at Goblin Hill.

Goblin Hill has an extremely high percentage of repeat guests (88%) and a very high referral rate. Perhaps the peace that comes from nature at her most pristine is the most compelling factor, or perhaps it is the personal service provided in each villa by a cook/housekeeper, whose cost is included in our rates, and who does everything possible to please her guests, and saves them money, too, by providing meals to order whose price is only the cost of their food at the supermarket.

We regret that our guest did not appreciate what we have to offer , as it is our goal that every guest should leave feeling renewed and satisfied, and return to us again. We will continue to work constantly within the limit of our budget to renovate our interiors, so that we succeed not only in satisfying but exceeding our guests expectations, even while they continue to enjoy the rates of a 3 1/2 star property.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The grounds, surroundings and view at this place are second to none. It is simply amazing. Furthermore with your little house you get your own housekeeper, which cleans, cooks and does your shopping if you want. Only downside is the state of the buildings. They should be brought back to 2013...

Room Tip: nr 8 was great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brouwer2013
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Geachte Brouwer2013,

Thank you for staying at Goblin Hill and for your review.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and loved the grounds, the location and the our personal touch, your own housekeeper.
Regarding the villas, yes we are working on them (ask for one with new bathrooms on your next stay) and we are soon catching back 2014!

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back at Goblin Hill.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a pleasant property at pleasant prices, but understand the limitations. Options are either self-catering (you buy and cook the groceries) or hiring folks to cook for you onsite -- or a combination; there is no restaurant. It's within a reasonable walk to the beach (it overlooks a bay) but not on it. The villas are a bit weathered (my shower had a broken knob) and the shower's water pressure yielded little more than a trickle. Mosquito nets are provided for the beds, which is both a relief and a warning. And the town (interesting Port Antonio) is, for most, beyond walking distance. The good news: the essentially outdoor bar (there's a roof) is kind of nice, the pool is adequate, and the staff helpful enough. Good for a quiet getway from wintry cold -- bring books -- or for couples with toddlers, but challenging for those wanting to explore the island and definitely not for the party crowd.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank alsolly
Dear Alsolly,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review.
We are sorry to hear that you did not totally enjoyed your stay with us and that your expectations seemed to be different than what we propose.
- When our guests are renting a villa, it includes the services of a housekeeper (at NO extra cost!). She is there to clean the villa but also, service that is greatly appreciated by our guests, to prepare meals. This is done after talking to the guest. Of course, you can cook yourself if you wish so. We can go shop for our guests or they can bring their own groceries.
Because of that special service we are offering, we do not have a restaurant on property. We are always happy to recommend any dining place around the hotel.
- I apologize for the maintenance issues you had. Were these reported to anyone of the staff? We are always making sure that any issue is quickly fixed or that an alternate solution is proposed.
- We are located in one of the most beautiful area of the country, nearby unique places of interest: 5 mins walk to San San beach that we are overlooking, 10 mins walk to the Blue Lagoon (from which you can take a 10 mins boat ride to the beautiful Princess Nina island, 15 mins walk to Frenchman's Cove, 15 mins drive to Winnifred beach, 15 mins drive to Port Antonio... a bit further are Boston Bay, Reach falls, Sommerset Falls, the Blue Mountains...
We are known for being family friendly; for the peace and tranquility you can find here, away from the city stress; and for a good starting base to discover the unique area we are in.

Again, we are sorry we did not met your expectations as we are always looking to give the best to our guests.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my time at Goblin, an oasis away from home. The rooms are a bit dated but they are very clean and grounds well kept. The staff are very accommodating and work to ensure ultimate satisfaction.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Aradene
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Aradene,

Thank you for staying with us and share your experience with others.

It was a real pleasure welcoming you here and we are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Goblin Hill. Make sure to come visit us back soon to see that we are continuously working on improving our offer to our guests.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed at Goblin Hill Villas with our children for three days this month. The grounds and views from the property are beautiful and the service of the staff is wonderful. The villa was quite spacious although the bedrooms and bathrooms are in need of being renovated and updated. However, the villa was clean and comfortable. Our housekeeper, Marlene, prepared excellent meals for us and it was never a bother for her to do the grocery shopping and prepare whatever types of meals we requested. Our visit at the Goblin Hills Villas was a wonderful addition to our summer vacations this year!!

Room Tip: We had a Special Ocean View villa with views of San San Beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Michelle A
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your review.

It was great having the five of you here. Hearing on the day of your original departure date that you were extending your stay was a wonderful news as it is one of the best reward we can think off.

We are very conscious that the villas are in need of refurbishing as we started to renovate some of them. Make sure to request one of them on your next visit.
Meanwhile we are trying to offer the best in our other services such as the cleanliness, the personal housekeeper and of course the exceptional location and views.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Jamaica
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Goblin Hill is a hidden diamond within Port Antonio. There was so much extra positives to say about our stay here - stunning views, great beaches and pools and relaxing environment with pleasant and extra responsive staff.
I WILL and MUST return here - I tell everyone that I can that this is an experience that they need to enjoy.

Room Tip: Ocean Views(Rooms 19 upwards) to the end of the property...the best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank robert b
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Robert,

Thank you for this great review!
We are delighted to see that surprised you... in a great way!
You found your place here and you know we will be keeping your villa ready for your next stay... hopefully soon!

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Spent 1 week of a our family vacation (teenage kids) at Goblin Villas, the location is great with fantastic views of San San Beach. The staff was very helpful and very polite. The meals cooked in the rooms each morning for breakfast and lunch were excellent.

Although the property is dated the location, service and staff make it great. For first time visitors to Port Antonio, you should know that Port Antonio does not have the level of infrastructure and tourism dollars moving through it like other parts of Jamaica. However, therein lies the beauty of Port Antonio and the opportunity to a less commercially developed part of Jamaica and to see all it's natural beauty. It's a great place to relax and enjoy all that PA has to offer. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark M
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Mark,

It was such a pleasure to welcome you and your family at Goblin Hill. We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and thankful for the great review.

Port Antonio is indeed one of the few "real Jamaica" places remaining in the island. This is still where you can experience a feeling of authentic Jamaica with great people and fantastic natural wonders to visit.

Do not wait too long to come back!