“If only they HADN'T listened to me!”

Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The first time that I visited this property was 20 years ago, when it was only a few years old. At the time it was absolutely beautiful and left a very memorable impression of beauty and tranquility. So when me and some girlfriends and their diabetic mother had the chance to visit Port Antonio again, i sang Goblin Villas's praises, and didn't do as i normally did, check the trip Advisor reports, but went straight ahead and booked ourselves a 2 bedroom villa.

We were so excited and on arrival were introduced to our housekeeper Diana, who came with the apartment and she proceeded to prepare us a beautiful evening meal. We had just finished eating and were busy complimenting the grounds, even though we thought that the apartment was very dated, especially the kitchen area, when we saw to our horror a HUGE RAT, calmly go across the kitchen floor and disappear behind the cooker! We screamed and leaped up and ran from the apartment to the outside of the apartment, but we had to return as Mum was asleep upstairs and she was too frail for us to move her at 10pm at night.

We contacted the front desk and explained the situation; amazingly they did not seem surprised! A bellhop came down and tried to look for the rat, but said he could see nothing, but said he would go back to reception and see if there was another villa that we could be moved to. We stood in the middle of the apartment petrified as we knew what we had seen and did not want to sleep in the villa, but we could not awake Mum to move her at this time of night. Whilst standing there helpless we were treated to the sight of the rat appearing ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER, which set off another round of screaming.

The bellhop came back and and proceeded to show us 3 different apartments that we could move to. The first was dirty and musty as if it had not been used for some time, the second was infested with red ants which filled the fridge where a sweet drink had been left to attract them. By this point we were angry and tired and the bellhop contacted the manager who told him to take us to another apartment. In fairness this appeared better, and we agreed that if this was cleaned prior to us moving in then we would take it; however at that moment through the slats came a SECOND RAT, that just completely blew us away and we ran from the apartment screaming. This was like some awful nightmare!!!!!!

Had we not had Mum with us, we would have left immediately, but we could not get her out of bed at what was now nearly midnight, so we were faced with the plight of going back into the apartment and trying to sleep knowing the rat was probably still within the apartment! We got the bellhop to ring the manager, but he did not answer his phone. We gave him our mobile/cell number and asked that the manager contact us immediately to explain what he intended to do about the situation. We were assured that he would call; he did not call either that night OR in the morning.

We went to bed barricading ourselves into the bedroom by putting blankets, cushions and even our laptops behind our bedroom door, but the rat went into Mum's bedroom in the night!!

In the morning we rang the manager from the front desk. He offered a VERY luke warm apology and was more interested in having his point of view heard than trying to offer any explanation that would make us feel better. We stated we wanted a refund, which he agreed to and within a few hours we drove swiftly away vowing under NO CIRCUMSTANCES to ever return.

I have gone into great detail as this was an absolutely horrendous experience, that we would never want anyone else to have to experience. This place was not cheap ($250 per night) and we understand that this is not a one off experience. Thankfully we had only planned to stay for 2 nights, but as written by others, people plan to spend up to 2 weeks here. We were appalled at the lack of interest shown by the manager. The grounds of the property are stunning, but the up keep of the apartments is very poor. Apparently the rat situation is blamed on the fact that the apartments are set within grounds with lush flora, but we find this a poor, lazy excuse. I have travelled extensively throughout the world and have never experienced anything like this.

Room Tip: We understand that villa 26 is beautiful, sadly we never saw it!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank j4p
GoblinHill, Managing Director at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

You have indeed described an appalling experience, and we are mortified that it should have happened.
You would not have known it, but our manager, Mr. de Campos, was sick in bed when you arrived, and was unable to come out and meet you and deal with the situation himself, as he normally does. I am sure this must have added to your frustration.

We have just completed a sold-out Christmas season and we are thankful that many guests have spoken to us in person or written to say how much they enjoyed it. This is what is particularly shocking about your complaint, but as a result, we have taken immediate steps to re-examine and re-enforce our pest control program to avert any future recurrence.

The beauty and tranquility of Goblin Hill still brings many guests back again and again. Our staff is very responsive to guests as you acknowledged in referring to your cook/housekeeper, Diana, who prepared a delicious meal for your arrival. The manager, Rafael, is very proactive, and I am sure that his illness is due to fatigue after working, as one guest put it , '24/7' during the three intense weeks of the Christmas holidays.

We would therefore like to invite you to make a complimentary return visit of two days, so that we can ensure you have a typical visit, a wonderful time , and hopefully, a changed opinion of Goblin Hill. You just need to refer to this letter when calling to reserve.

Yours sincerely,

Rosalie Goodman
Managing Director
Goblin Hill Villas at San San

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked our honeymoon, and twice requested pictures of the room we would be staying in. None came. We explained we wanted a memorable honeymoon, so we would like their best room. GH then suggested the superior sea view, which we paid for.

The grounds were stunning, the views fantastic, but the rooms were in need of updating.
We found the following problems. The patio door did not lock, and the only thing securing the villa the first night were two boards on either side of the door. This was fixed the next day, but the lock broke again, and on the third night we just did not reopen the door once the engineer repaired it. This was unfortunate as there was no AC in the living room, and part of the magical experience was to be able to dine on the balcony and watch the sun go down.

On day one we found the following:
A cockroach in the fridge, a cockroach in the bedroom which crawled into my wife's bag, a filthy toilet brush, broken fan in the bathroom and chipped tiles, cobwebs and dust on the ceiling fan over the bed.

To be fair to the manager, he did rectify the cleanliness issues on the second day as soon as he was made aware of them. I did feel, though, that he may want to be more clinical in his daily checks in the future, as if the villa was clean when we arrived, I could forgive the broken toaster, cockroaches and the need of a few tins of paint.

The engineer explained the upkeep is down to the individual owners of the villas, which is why the door was not fixed. I was disappointed at this, as we booked direct with Goblin Hill, so therefore it is there responsibilty to at least ensure doors can be locked, and the villas are clean.

Due to the literature in the villa, I felt under pressure to tip the housekeeper, which is a shame, because it was almost as if we were expected to (the guide price was 10% of our villa rate).
To summarise, the staff were really helpful and friendly, but I find the lack of upkeep of the villas extremely disrespectful to any guests intending to stay there.

Room Tip: Before booking ask for a picture of room, and hold Goblin Hill to that room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan S
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

What a surprise to read that review!
Dear Mr S., I first would like to apologize for not offering you what you were expecting and entitled to receive. It is our pride and our first mission to make our guests happy and as one can see in the previous reviews, we more than often succeed in that.
That said, I would like to respond to the word "fair" that you have been using. Fair would have been for you to explain everything, the actions we took, the offers we made to you and, even more than the rest, avoid saying untrue facts.
- the patio door: indeed the lock was broken when I went to check it after your reported the problem. This was fixed within 15 mins. You are then saying that it broke again while you know that it is not true. As I explained to you and as you understood, it was another issue, involving the wheels of the sliding doors. The lock was working perfectly well. For info, the boards on the side of the sliding doors are in all our villas at our guests' request.
- the roach: as I also explained to you and your wife and as you both assured that you totally understood, we are in the middle of the nature. Despite the fact that we are spraying each villa prior to our guests' arrival, we can not guarantee that no insect will manage to enter the villa at any point, especially due to the design of the villas that we wanted open to the nature.
- the toilet brush: you are using the word "filthy" but when you mentioned it to me, you said that you knew the brush was clean but just discolored by the products we are using. I agreed with you on the fact that it was not looking good and I immediately arranged for a new one to be put in your bathroom.
- the broken fan in the bathroom: you never mentioned that to me and, for info, the fan is working well.
- Chipped tiles: ??? are we talking about the same villa?
- dust and cobwebs on the fan on your bedroom: yes, it was lightly dusted (no cobweb though). It should have been cleaned before your arrival and I apologize for the fact that it has not been done.
- the toaster: was replaced directly by your housekeeper as soon as she realized it had an issue.
- the tipping: this is what is written on the literature in the villa: "We do not add a standard service charge to your bill, as we prefer that you reward your housekeeper directly based on how pleased you have been with her service. Guests often request guidelines and we
advise that an average tip is about 10% of the room rate; some guests reward their housekeeper with a larger tip if they feel that they have received over and above the pleasant and dedicated service that our housekeepers are expected to give. Please let us know about your housekeeper experience, as this will guide us in our continuing efforts in training, and/or recognition." What are we saying other than you are free to tip (or not)? And what are we saying other that when our guests are asking what is usual to tip we answer that in average the guests are leaving 10% of what they pay for the villa? Is this pressuring you?

I don't know what has been told to you by our "engineer" but he has been working with us for years and could certainly not have said what you are writing as it is totally untrue. He probably explained to you, as I did too, that each one of our villas has its own housekeeper. That housekeeper is cleaning her villa as if it was her own. If there is any maintenance problem, she report it to the Executive Housekeeper who then decides the actions to be taken. Everything is done by Goblin Hill Villas for Goblin Hill Villas and it does not involve any "individual owner".
As I also explained to you during one of our few discussions, there has been a "missing link". Your villa should have been properly checked by the Executive Housekeeper, like she efficiently does for each one of them, before your arrival. The broken lock and the dust on the fan should have been noticed and fixed before your came on property. This is our mistake and I do, again, apologize for this.

But, in your review, did you mention the following?:
- that one day prior to your arrival you called to cancel your first night and that, despite our policies stating clearly (you received a copy of it) that no refund would be done less than 1 week prior to arrival, we did refunded that first night?
- that I proposed to give you another villa, the one that we are keeping for special occasions and that became available the day you made your complaint to me? That you refused that offer?
- that we delivered a complimentary bottle of white wine to your villa (it does not change the issues but would have been nice to be mentioned by you as you talking about fairness).

I would also like to mention that during the 3 weeks before your arrival Goblin Hill was fully booked. A lot of different guests stayed in your villa, including travel agents from US, and nobody said anything else than praises about the property and the villa.

I totally understand that the issues you had were a disappointment for you. But we came with solutions that you refused. And you are now writing an unfair and untrue review. What is your goal? I would love you to contact me at rdecampos@goblinhill.com in order to explain to me why you think we deserve such a bad comment from you.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Goblin Hill and Port Antonio are an amazing part of the country to explore. We were traveling with 4 adults and 3 kids (11,10,4) and had side by side 2 BR villas. It was great to have the housekeepers have food made for us every morning and when we returned from the days adventures. The property is beautiful and quiet. It does feel like you have the place to yourself. It is lush and green and the hummingbirds are amazing. Just sitting out on the lawn watching the waves down below is incredibly relaxing.

Each beach was a bit of a walk or a taxi ride away but this added to the adventure. Frenchmans Cove is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The kids loved the cove and the over water swing. I liked Winifred Beach as well. But a day trip to Reach Falls is a must. And take the tour.

It was very interesting to be someplace without so many tourists and we enjoyed it tremendously.

Rafael is an amazing host and I hope he has a chance to rest after the holidays as it felt like he was there 24 hours a day!

The only thing I would have done differently is to fly into Kingston, as it is much closer than Montego Bay - but the drive to and from Mo Bay is quite beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank amitynina
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dears friends from Broadway,

It was such a pleasure to welcome you at Goblin Hill and to assist you in the discovery of that unspoiled area that is Portland. Frenchman's Cove, Winnifred Beach, San San, the Blue Lagoon, Reach Falls, the Rio Grande, Sommerset Falls,.... these are only a few of the jewels Portland has to offer to our guests.
We are really happy you enjoyed the property and the staff. We succeeded in our mission that was to make you feel comfortable and relax.
It is now a bit quieter so we can all cool down a little....
We are ready to welcome you all back next year!
Thank you for this great review.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

It will be difficult to express how amazing our stay at Goblin Hill was, but I'll try! Our group vacation included four adults and a child. The two bedroom villa had ample space for all of us. It was always clean and we never wanted for anything. Whatever we asked for, the staff was eager to help us attain. The most surprising to us was that we rarely saw the other guests. Even though we stayed right next door, the noise level was nil and we felt like we were the only ones.

Our housekeeper, Diana, went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. Not only did she cook amazing meals and take care of the villa, she also helped me take care of a banking situation when my debit card wouldn't work. I would have had difficulty navigating without her. She also helped us with the grocery shopping, which I'm sure she would have done on her own, but we wanted to see the town, so we accompanied her. The entire time we were in town, she not only managed her business, but also kept a good eye on my friend and I to make sure we were safe.

Matthew in the Tree Bar was also very accommodating. Not only did he serve us delicious rum punch, but he was a great resource when we first arrived on where to go, what to eat and what to do. He gave us the hook up to the lobster man and the masseuse. Their motto seemed to be that nothing was impossible, you just had to ask!

There were two minor negatives to our stay, but they didn't hinder my enjoyment, so I cannot deduct from my rating for them. First, the pool is in a shaded area and was not warm enough. The children found it enjoyable, but as adults, we barely got in. Also, the closest beach was down a long flight of stone steps and about a block away from the bottom. It would not be a bad walk for most, but as I was suffering from a hip injury, I could not do it. It was very easy to get a taxi to transport us, however and it was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AS40208
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this great review! It was such a pleasure to welcome you at Goblin Hill.

As I mentioned in a previous review, our housekeepers are not only here to prepare your meals or clean the villas. You perfectly describe one of the other ways they can assist you. Diana is one of our guests' favorite ones and I am happy to know that she did not failed her reputation.

Indeed, nothing is impossible in Jamaica. I am glad Matthieu was able to show you that. Also, I agree, his cocktails are delicious!

Regarding the pool, it is actually in the sun most of the time but at some moments of the day it can be shaded, especially in winter as the sun's course varies depending of the seasons.
The steps leading to the main road are, I have to admit, a challenge, especially on your return from the beach. But, as you said, it is very easy for us to organize a taxi to come pick you up.

Thank you again for choosing us and for your support through this review. Do come back soon as you are now part of the family!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have just arrived back from a wonderful stay at Goblin Hill. Others have explained the relaxed atmosphere and fantastic setting and I wholeheartedly agree. It has a very special vibe going on and the way the villas are designed makes you often feel as you are in a secluded spot as you can't see the other villas and despite being full when we stayed we hardly came across the other guests as the grounds are huge. I have to add the cooks/housekeepers are fantastic and our lovely lady helping couldn't have been more helpful, even taking us into Port Antonia to show us around and locate various shops for things we needed. She also provided the most delicious food and having cooked Christmas lunch for the last 15 years I was so appreciative when she cooked lunch for us and did all the "British" favourites that the children and my husband and I love. There was a wonderful atmosphere over Christmas and a highlight was the Christmas Eve Carols and free drinks on the deck overlooking the sea. The staff at Goblin Hill really go out of their way to help and I would like to add my Thanks to Rafael and his team for making us so welcome. I would also recommend a driver called Sherman (the hotel has his number) as a great tour guide as a drive round the area is must especially Reach Falls.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Georgie686

Dear Georgie,

What a pleasure it was to welcome you and your family at Goblin Hill.
It makes us happy and proud to know that you really enjoyed your time here.
Indeed, our guests' housekeeper is not only there to cook meals or clean the villa. She is an ambassador of her country and is eager to help you discover its culture and treasures through her meals of course but also by talking to her guests or taking them with her in town at the market or other places. That is the best way to discover the country.
The wonderful atmosphere you are talking about was also created by the wonderful guests we had during that special period that are Christmas and New Year. You were most definitely among these!
Thank you so much for staying with us and thank you so much for this review!
We hope to see you back soon at Goblin Hill.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Having lived & worked in Jamaica 10 years ago I have stayed at Goblin Villas on numerous occassions & always found myself instantly relaxed in the beautiful setting.

My husband & I chose to spend part of our honeymoon in Jamaica & hired a car to drive around the island. We'd booked 2 nights at Goblin Villas & were upgraded to a special sea view villa when we arrived, due to it being our honeymoon.

The location, the views & friendliness of the staff at Goblin Villas never ceases to impress. The staff can't do enough for you & the maids are excellent cooks.

We took the steps down to San San beach but didn't walk down to Woody's bar on this occassion.

The gardens are immaculate & there is a very pretty pool & outdoor bar. There is also a lovely communal lounge/reading area if you want the company if others with internet access available.

We would definitely book Goblin Villas again as I could never tire of the place.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MrsHepworth

Dears Mr and Mrs Hepworth,

What a beautiful New Year present you are giving us with this great review!

We were delighted to welcome you back at Goblin Hill and we are glad and proud you chose us to host you for (part of) your honeymoon.
You are at home at Goblin Hill and we all look forward to see you back here, as family members rather than guests.

Thank you again for choosing us and for your support through this review.

See you soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

As two couples, traveling without a rental car, we do a lot of walking, which was very fortunate in this part of Jamaica. The place we had been staying in, down the hill from Goblin Hill, turned out to be nothing like we had been led to believe so in our daily walk to escape the place we found Goblin Hill, and it was like a breath of fresh air. We immediately left our other accommodations and moved there. The grounds of the villas are spectacular; acres of lawn and vegetation that were a delight for bird watchers like us. The villas themselves, while a bit run down, are quite comfortable. We had a two bedroom, with the bedrooms upstairs, each with its' own bath, and a large common room, patio and kitchen down stairs. Because there is no restaurant, you are assigned a housekeeper upon checking in and if you require it, a sample menu from which you can choose meal items that your housekeeper will shop for and prepare. We felt pretty spoiled by the end of our stay. It is a good half hour walk to a beach from the villa, either Frenchman's Cove or San San, both of which charge admission, and while the Blue Lagoon is at the bottom of the hill, there is no beach, so be prepared to pay to enjoy water, other than the pool at Goblin Hill. This is not a luxury resort, but if you want to get away to a quiet garden paradise, with a beautiful view of the ocean, you probably won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marsha S
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Marsha,

Thank you for this great review. We are proud to be considered as the saviors of your vacations in our area. As you perfectly describe it in your review, we are trying to stay as close to the nature as possible and regularly you will have the visit of a bird on your patio or in your living room. For info, 22 out of the 28 Jamaican endemic birds can be observed on our property.

We are working on refurbishing our villas and little by little we are improving our offer to our guests.
San San beach, if you use our "beach steps" is at about 10 mins walk.

We are looking forward to welcoming back soon at Goblin Hill!