The first time that I visited this property was 20 years ago, when it was only a few years old. At the time it was absolutely beautiful and left a very memorable impression of beauty and tranquility. So when me and some girlfriends and their diabetic mother had the chance to visit Port Antonio again, i sang Goblin Villas's praises, and didn't do as i normally did, check the trip Advisor reports, but went straight ahead and booked ourselves a 2 bedroom villa.
We were so excited and on arrival were introduced to our housekeeper Diana, who came with the apartment and she proceeded to prepare us a beautiful evening meal. We had just finished eating and were busy complimenting the grounds, even though we thought that the apartment was very dated, especially the kitchen area, when we saw to our horror a HUGE RAT, calmly go across the kitchen floor and disappear behind the cooker! We screamed and leaped up and ran from the apartment to the outside of the apartment, but we had to return as Mum was asleep upstairs and she was too frail for us to move her at 10pm at night.
We contacted the front desk and explained the situation; amazingly they did not seem surprised! A bellhop came down and tried to look for the rat, but said he could see nothing, but said he would go back to reception and see if there was another villa that we could be moved to. We stood in the middle of the apartment petrified as we knew what we had seen and did not want to sleep in the villa, but we could not awake Mum to move her at this time of night. Whilst standing there helpless we were treated to the sight of the rat appearing ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER, which set off another round of screaming.
The bellhop came back and and proceeded to show us 3 different apartments that we could move to. The first was dirty and musty as if it had not been used for some time, the second was infested with red ants which filled the fridge where a sweet drink had been left to attract them. By this point we were angry and tired and the bellhop contacted the manager who told him to take us to another apartment. In fairness this appeared better, and we agreed that if this was cleaned prior to us moving in then we would take it; however at that moment through the slats came a SECOND RAT, that just completely blew us away and we ran from the apartment screaming. This was like some awful nightmare!!!!!!
Had we not had Mum with us, we would have left immediately, but we could not get her out of bed at what was now nearly midnight, so we were faced with the plight of going back into the apartment and trying to sleep knowing the rat was probably still within the apartment! We got the bellhop to ring the manager, but he did not answer his phone. We gave him our mobile/cell number and asked that the manager contact us immediately to explain what he intended to do about the situation. We were assured that he would call; he did not call either that night OR in the morning.
We went to bed barricading ourselves into the bedroom by putting blankets, cushions and even our laptops behind our bedroom door, but the rat went into Mum's bedroom in the night!!
In the morning we rang the manager from the front desk. He offered a VERY luke warm apology and was more interested in having his point of view heard than trying to offer any explanation that would make us feel better. We stated we wanted a refund, which he agreed to and within a few hours we drove swiftly away vowing under NO CIRCUMSTANCES to ever return.
I have gone into great detail as this was an absolutely horrendous experience, that we would never want anyone else to have to experience. This place was not cheap ($250 per night) and we understand that this is not a one off experience. Thankfully we had only planned to stay for 2 nights, but as written by others, people plan to spend up to 2 weeks here. We were appalled at the lack of interest shown by the manager. The grounds of the property are stunning, but the up keep of the apartments is very poor. Apparently the rat situation is blamed on the fact that the apartments are set within grounds with lush flora, but we find this a poor, lazy excuse. I have travelled extensively throughout the world and have never experienced anything like this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Goblin Hill Villas at San San Bay sits on twelve acres of lawns and gardens, overlooking sparkling Jamaican white sand beaches and turquoise Caribbean water.All of our spacious villas are self-contained, with fully equipped kitchens, living and dining rooms, and a wide covered terrace or balcony with its own view over the Bay.The villas open onto wide expanses of lawns and gardens. All bedrooms have private bathrooms, air-conditioning and ceiling fans.Each villa is staffed with a friendly housekeeper to prepare and serve meals, do your shopping and carry out all house- keeping duties. You will find she is also your unofficial ambassador to Jamaica. Our housekeepers are versatile cooks and can prepare local cuisine, as well as international dishes using locally available produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Goblin Hill Villas at San San reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Goblin Hill Villas Hotel Port Antonio
- Goblin Hill Hotel
- Goblin Hill Port Antonio
- Goblin Hill Villas At San San Jamaica/Port Antonio