If you would like the taste of the real Jamaica, go to Port Antonio, a town with character. Once a favorite vacation spot of Errol Flynn and many other Hollywood celebrities, its lush hills rise out of the harbor that hosts a marlin contest every year. The town has lovely old buildings, a square with a clock tower, a crumbling Folly Mansion, and an authentic market that caters to locals. The vendors are friendly but don’t pester. The people of Port Antonio are polite and welcoming.
We have visited most of the hotels in the area, and, by far, the best is Goblin Hill. It is situated on a hill above SanSan Bay. One can relax in one of Goblin Hill’s quiet vistas and have spectacular views of Princess Nina’s Island and the shimmering bay. Long ago we lived in Kingston and loved spending weekends at Goblin Hill when it was brand new. It is even more beautiful now, because its well tended landscaping has matured. We have family pictures over the years of swinging in the hammock at the Look Out, cavorting over the lawns, gaping at humming birds as they flutter past our noses, photographing the profusion of flowers on the property, sipping rum punches at the Tree House, and basking in the great cooking and attention of our own private housekeeper. We have snorkeled to exhaustion in San San Bay and floated down the stream at Frenchman’s Cove as we looked at the twinkling sun through the trees and parakeets fluttering high up. We dove into deep blue glassy Blue Hole, body surfed at Long Bay, and then gobbled down jerk pork at the Jerk Center at Boston Bay.
This time we met Joanna who guided us to new discoveries and history that we had not known. We suggest that on one of your first days you find this charming woman, who is the sister of the owner. She will give you a private tour and provide information that is new to even the most seasoned Jamaican. She introduced us to Trevor Stone who took us on a hike into the Blue Mountains, past banana and coffee plantations, through tiny villages, past farms precariously perched on the hillside. We climbed up and up until we were treated with the most spectacular view of Port Antonio’s harbor, the Grand River and the great Blue Mountain. Trevor pointed out birds, rare butterflies, and plants.
Joanna told us about Great Huts, near the Jerk Center. Great Huts is designed to be an African village. Guests climb ladders to their rooms and bathe in private outdoor showers. We ate fresh fish and enjoyed a performance of traditional Jamaican dances performed by children and young adults from a community center in Port Antonio.
Over the years we keep returning to Goblin Hill. We have traveled many places, and Goblin Hill is our sanctuary for peace and harmony of soul.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Goblin Hill Villas at San San Bay sits on twelve acres of lawns and gardens, overlooking sparkling Jamaican white sand beaches and turquoise Caribbean water.All of our spacious villas are self-contained, with fully equipped kitchens, living and dining rooms, and a wide covered terrace or balcony with its own view over the Bay.The villas open onto wide expanses of lawns and gardens. All bedrooms have private bathrooms, air-conditioning and ceiling fans.Each villa is staffed with a friendly housekeeper to prepare and serve meals, do your shopping and carry out all house- keeping duties. You will find she is also your unofficial ambassador to Jamaica. Our housekeepers are versatile cooks and can prepare local cuisine, as well as international dishes using locally available produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HostelWorld, Priceline, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Goblin Hill Villas at San San reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Goblin Hill Villas Hotel Port Antonio
- Goblin Hill Hotel
- Goblin Hill Port Antonio
- Goblin Hill Villas At San San Jamaica/Port Antonio