What an unbelievable experience! We really enjoyed it. We really had no idea of what to expect. The pictures didn't totally click with me. The first day we were edgy, but we really felt very relaxed and comfortable and happy and were sad to leave. As we were driving from the Kingston airport, around the eastern coast, to the northern coast, we saw such beautiful views of the Caribbean Sea, but when I woke up in the morning, after listening to the sea at night, and saw those beautiful views right from my bed, unobstructed, it had a different feel. Great Huts is on the side of Boston Bay Beach, per my Frommers Guide, one of the top beaches, and it is so pretty to see that beach too upon awakening in the morning. The kids in the local area go surfing there and the beach is clean as well. From Great Huts, we had no trouble walking by the famous Jerk Center and standing on the corner for a local taxi. We went to the amazing Reach Falls, also, per Frommers, much better than Dunn's River, and no crowds there. We also went to another beautiful white sand, clean, clear beach, Winnifred Beach, but I am sure only a local taxi driver would know where this is. We took a bamboo raft ride on the Rio Grande River, also clean, relaxing, and ideal for a swim. We also visited a small Maroon village and learned about a part of history missing in our education about slavery. The staff at Great Huts is accessible and warm. You will love it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The African hut, brand new 4-bedroom private villa, and Amerindian tree-house dwellings studded throughout the meandering, five-acre compound are comfortably furnished and decorated with uncommon African and Jamaican artifacts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio