My husband and I recently returned from 5 days at Great Huts and came home deeply enriched by our experience and eager to plan our return trip. As one might expect from anywhere in Jamaica, the landscape and people were lush, beautiful, and soulful; however, Great Huts brings visitors back to our roots by offering us a chance to experience the country in an open and natural setting.
To begin, Port Antonio itself is much-appreciated step away from the resort atmosphere, which has become all to familiar in so much of the Caribbean; the Blue Mountain countryside offers visitors colorful and inviting villas that share the warmth the local communities. As is true for many travels, the people “make” the trip; but even more so in Port Antonio. All of our experiences with the locals were warm and made our hearts sing with the magic that is their music, their generosity, their positive outlook on life, and most of all the sincerity of their smiles. We felt safe and often inspired during all of our ventures. Moreover, we found the local cuisine to be fresh, flavorful, and bountiful. Even the staples such as “rice and peas” offered a surprisingly wide range of fragrant spices—each dish prepared with its own special touch and always with Love! Finally, as one might expect, but could never imagine fully until you explore yourself, the area is one memorable view of paradise after another!
Now on to Great Huts in particular! I must say that I am nearly at a loss of words to fitting describe the Great Huts experience, primarily because it is so much more of a “feeling” when you are there that is a able to come across on a page; however, I will try! Energy…we all feel it when we walk into any new environment, and when you walk through the bamboo door and enter into Great Huts, the energy shifts. Suddenly, a sense of, tranquility, curiosity, and comfort present an invitation to wander and view the artful decoration of the naturally inspired tribal village-style bamboo “huts”—each which offers its original craftsmanship. Perhaps if “awesome” best describes the property and “remarkably and genuinely accommodating, warm, respectful and friendly would describe ALL of the staff at Great Huts. We were especially grateful for everyone’s positive energy and sincere willingness to make our stay especially beautiful. Thank you!
Finally, if you are blessed during your stay like we were, you may have the opportunity to meet the creator, generous spirit, and artist’s brush—Dr. Paul-- who’s vision of creating Great Huts for all of us is most appreciated. During our stay, Dr. Paul was indeed the host of kindness and support. It was such a lovely opportunity to speak with him about his work and to hear his stories. We also enjoyed watching Saturday evening’s cultural show and sharing the best pizza I have ever had during the amazing presentation—a historical walk through the music dance, and story of the Jamaican people. The show was one of the highlights of our trip since it offered us a genuine window into the heart of Jamaica and its treasures—the people. And, for a last note, Dr. Paul has a remarkable library in the lobby; we enjoyed a world of surprises and opportunities for discovery here.
And to everyone at Great Huts…..See you next year! Xoxo Rj and Lynnette
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio