We stayed in great huts last november, and it was definitely not what we expected - it was so much more!
We booked the seagrape for 2 nights, and actually had to change our trip schedule so we would stay in that specific hut - and it was well worth it! The location is breathtaking, right on top of the cliff, and the hut itself is secluded and allows you to relax completely, without anyone to bother you, just sitting in their romantic gorgeous tub on the edge of the cliff!
We ended up staying an extra 2 nights, but had to change rooms because the seagrape was not availavble - so we took the fig tree. It was not as secluded as the seagrape but more luxurios and amazingly decorated. If the hot water is working again in the fig tree - the tub overlooking the bay is the perfect spot to spend a quiet couple's evening without a care in the world.
But just so you'd know - great huts is not for everyone. Don't come there expecting a 5 star hotel with fancy toiletries and amenities. It's more like a saffari experience. the trails leading from the main area to the huts are exactly that - trails! They are unpaved, and not for stilleto heels :) The huts are clean, but not for the sqeamish - you have to expect bugs in the room with you, cause the huts are not closed rooms, and you share the forest with all the forest creatures.
The beach is drop dead gorgeous! we spent hours just admiring it and taking picturs of it from every available corner. again - not a sandy carribean beach, but the perfect place to relax in a hammock with a book watching the surfers...
They have a main area where you eat breakfast, that was simple but good (same breakfast every morning) - and just make sure to bring insect repellent with you or the mosquittos will eat you allive during breakfast (which is the same everywhere in Jamaica outside of the resorts). dinner can be served on the upper floor of the main area, and despite a not so large variety - the food is really good. especially the seafood pizza (yes, pizza in Jamaica...)
And on your way to or from breakfast don't forget to talk to the gorgeous talking parrot!
If your looking for a great place to eat near by (relatively near by) - about 5 minutes west of port anotonio is a place called Dickie's best kept secret (you can find it with the help of locals) - a great 5 course meal, including lobster and whatever they have that day, or whatever you like if you order in advance, not too expensive and just delicious, with the best service you'll get in Jamaica! And although it's not written anywhere - sometimes they're open for lunch - just call and ask.
The jerk centers near by are ok, but not great. If you're looking for jerk - definitely Scotchie's about a half an hour east of MoBay.
The staff at great huts are extremely nice and helpful, and the owner Paul would love to tell you all about Jamaica, history, culture and people. And ask him about the Jewish pirates of the caribbean! He even helped us find our next hotel, which was a wonderfull recommendation!
So we definietly recommend it for people not looking for the usual Jamaica resort experience, but for a place to enjoy nature, but with style!
Thank you to everybody at Great Huts,
Eran and Sharon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio