All reviews bamboo tree house sea grape homeless shelter african sunrise the cliff paul rhodes cultural show boston bay african art jerk center unique experience reach falls yoga deck open air close to nature public beach jerk chicken
Reviewed May 4, 2016

My expectation was more than met, I enjoyed every bit of my stay here.... thought was put in every detail of the resort. I felt at one with nature, beautiful place and great scenery and the staff make you feel like apart of their big family!!!! only issue is i think the food is a bit overpriced.
I am definitely booking another stay there... longer this time tho lol

Room Tip: sea grape or any of the tree houses are better
  • Stayed: April 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2016 via mobile

Jamaica's best kept secret. Perfect couples get away for the sure footed adventurous type. Completly back to nature. Delightful experience. Secluded bay, private beach access to public beach, cliff views from pool, beautiful sunrise. Outdoors invited in via open walls. Tree house perched on the cliff side. Great Staff. A most intimate heart warming experience. Great Huts!

Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2016

A group of us from CUSO International stayed at Great Huts, and let me just say, WE HAD THE TIME OF OUR LIVES!!! The stay there was absolutely amazing. The staff are WONDERFUL and the customer service was on point (this must have been the first time I received decent customer service in Jamaica, and I've been living in Jamaica since March).

The owner Dr. Paul is such a fantastic human being. He was always checking to see if we were good and asking if we need anything. Such a pleasant and spectacular human being. He's a medical doctor, and even diagnosed a few of my colleagues, and gave them prescriptions for medications (at no cost).

Every Saturday nights the hotel puts on a great performance with local actors / dancers. Dr Paul also sang! What a great show! He even thanked us (said all our names) during the show, for being guests at his hotel.

I stayed in Cherry Goat with a colleague. It was a small hut with two beds. Found a few crabs in our hut now and then. No big deal. They are harmless and more so scared of people. I hate cockroaches, and yes, unfortunately I found big ones inside our hut too. Just had to shooo them away. We had communal washroom and showers. If you're not into nature, wild outdoor activities, camping etc, then this place may not be great for you. The showers are basically outside with a bamboo fence all around.

The rooms come with complimentary breakfast which consists of eggs, toast, fruits, porridge or yogurt, tea or coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice (which I watched a worker actually squeeze in a jug). The breakfast was wonderful. I really enjoyed it. It came quick and fresh. The kitchen staff are on the ball!

I didn't have lunch or dinner at the hotel, as it was a bit out of my price range, but the well-known Boston jerk stands are directly outside of the hotel. They sell wonderful jerk sausages and jerk pork! YUMMMM! The guys out there are always fighting to get your business, but they all basically sell the same things and it all cost the same as well. We ended up going to Woody's for dinner one night and had this amazing Plantain Burger ... OMG ... It was so delicious! I believe their restaurant is #1 on TripAdvisor for best restaurants in that area.

There's a public beach (Boston Beach) right beside the hotel, and its very easily accessible. There are chairs all around the hotel by the cliffs, where you will see how beautiful Portland is!

The pool at the hotel is warm and I would suggest going in the night. You can sit and see all the stars in the sky. Absolutely gorgeous view. If you're a morning person you can also sit in the pool early in the morning to watch the sunrise! We were up every morning just to see it rise. You can also stand on the snake trail or the yoga patio and watch the sunrise.

You must check out Port Antonio town, San San, Winnifred, Blue Lagoon, Reach Falls, Frenchman Cove etc. while you're staying at Great Huts. Traveling to different locations is fairly easy via route taxi and should only cost around 100 - 150 JMD. Or if you want to charter a taxi, there's a guy by the name of John who sits outside the hotel. You can get a reasonable deal with him and he can take you anywhere you want.

I have nothing horrible to say about this place (besides the cockroaches which is something that cant really be controlled as you have to remember you're living in the wild) ... Thank you Dr. Paul for your hospitality! Your staff is amazing and I WILL be coming back very very soon!

Room Tip: affordable, nature, excellent service
  • Stayed: April 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2016

Near boston beach a great beach for surfing, swimming, jerk and sunbathing. You should give captain Rebo a call for a raft on the Rio Grande.+18763651443 and visit this great Cook in fairy hill. At San San beach you can make a boattrip to monkey island and the bleu lagoon. On the island you'll meet the cook from fairy hill. This boattrip is 30 us dollar cheaper than at the bleu lagoon....

Stayed: April 2016
Reviewed April 29, 2016

Each hut is unique; there is a hut for everyone. The view is beyond reproach. On top of a hill, the pool overlooks the crystal blue Caribbean Sea. There are numerous hammocks throughout the facility and lounge chairs at sea level. The food was good. I especially liked the cultural dances and program. Staff were accommodating, especially Clayon. This is an experience you will remember for a long time./

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with friends