Great Huts
Tropical Lagoon Resort(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
$255
$145
$274
$236
Jamaica Palace Hotel(Port Antonio)
$171
The Trident Hotel(Port Antonio)
$600
$190
$170
Travelocity
Moon San Villa(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
$151
$141
Travelocity
Geejam(Port Antonio)
$425
Hotel Jamaican Colors(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
$80
$78
All reviewsbamboo tree housesea grapehomeless shelterafrican sunrisethe cliffpaul rhodesboston baycultural showafrican artqueen of shebajerk centerunique experienceyoga deckreach fallsone of a kindopen airhermit crabs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2009

This was truly a different vacation, a real getaway.

We rented the Bamboo Hut and Almond Treehouse for our family of 4, including 2 grown kids (20s). Our huts were on top of a cliff over beautiful Boston Bay. The huts and reception area are filled with incredible African art. There was easy access to a beach, rock pool and other structures carved out of the cliffs.

We took day trips to Reach Falls, the Blue Lagoon, and Monkey Island, all highly recommended. We ate delicious breakfasts and dinners at the resort, and lunches at “Jerk Central,” a conglomeration of jerk shacks and other local businesses just outside of Great Huts. Before dinner on several nights we shared Jamaican white rum and Coke with the locals at Jerk Central.

Great Huts and environs are rustic. It was one of our most fun and memorable vacations ever. Our 20-year-old son loved the interaction we had with the locals, compared to a vanilla resort where the only exposure to locals is when they wait on you. Doctor Paul, the owner, and staff were always pleasant and engaging, and this is the type of resort where the guests try to get to know one another. Most of we all enjoyed experiencing the real Jamaica.

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank immigrationman
Reviewed July 18, 2009

If you want to stay at a resort such as Sandals then you should probably select a different hotel. My husband and I wanted a relaxing honeymoon away from tourists that would give us an authentic taste of Jamaica. We chose Great Huts as a result, and our stay far surpassed our expectations.
If you are going on a honeymoon I would recommend Sea Grape. Sea Grape has the best views, it is the most secluded and open, and it has a huge outdoor bath (see photo) with spectacular views. There are excursions you can take around the island, but we mostly stayed in our hut just enjoying each other. Staying in the Sea Grape was perfect for us!
Pros:
-Friendly staff- Staff bend over backwards to make your stay perfect. One night we ate our dinner on the cliff instead of the dining hall. Staff set a romantic tone by bringing candles and ensuring we were the only ones eating on the cliff. Our waitress took several trips to bring us water and food throughout the night.
-Eco-friendly- All huts are built around the environment to ensure all creatures are preserved.
-Secluded- For the first few days we felt like we were the only ones staying at Great Huts. I think only 20-25 people can stay there at a time.
-Unique and beautiful-Great Huts is like nothing else. Each hut is unique and special. The natural setting is spectacular as well.
-Clean- The staff are kept busy washing trashcans, fans, and picking up on the walkways.
-Great food- The food costs $15 or over, but the food is worth it. I am not a big meat eater, but I loved the grilled chicken.
-Plus: I am a social worker, so I love the fact that part of the proceeds goes toward running a local homeless shelter.
Cons:
-The drive from Kingston to Great Huts takes about three hours, but our driver was awesome and the view was beautiful. Our driver stopped to buy us coconuts and mangos along the way.
-There are some bugs and creatures, but they really are not that bad. We mainly saw crabs and tiny lizards. But you have to expect to see some bugs when you are staying in an open hut.

Overall, I would highly recommend Great Huts to anyone who wants a romantic, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I booked this trip as a special surprise for my spouse, kind of like a late honeymoon/early graduation present for us. I was looking for a place that seemed to support local economy, highlight the physical beauty of Jamaica, and was NOT an all-inclusive resort. Great Huts far surpassed my expectations in all of those ares: we saw stunning beaches, met beautiful locals (ask for Arlene if you want an incredible tour of the Blue Mountains from someone who loves her people and the place where she grew up, and has been giving tours for many years), and had a peaceful and relaxing time.

We stayed in the Bamboo House and it could not have been more perfect: a hammock overlooking Boston Bay, a downstairs open air bathroom/shower in the forest and little reading nook - it was incredible.

Breakfasts were great, especially the hot sauce and the fresh fruit. WOW. The food at dinner was not always great so we ate out and tried to buy produce from the markets in town. Do be careful - people try to rip you off all the time. Make sure you bargain so they know they can't take advantage of you just because you're a tourist!

I also enjoyed the large selection of books about Jamaican history and culture - very roots-based. It was helpful and fun for me to get a sense of where I was standing. I also enjoyed route taxis and found them convenient for the most part (make sure you find out how to flag one down!) and an interesting way to experience local culture.

I also recommend a visit to the Maroon Cultural Centre - truly amazing what the Maroons have survived and how strongly they have retained their culture.

I'm so glad we found Great Huts and were able to have a chill holiday enjoying Jamaican culture, people, landscape, and food. Help keep Jamaica beautiful and green - stay at Great Huts instead of a resort which pollutes and is owned by major off-shore corporations.

We loved Great Huts, and especially the Bamboo Tree House. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My now wife and I tied the knot here Christmas Day 2008, and are so glad we did. We couldn't have been looked after any better, everyone was truly amazing and we had nothing to do except for sit back and enjoy our time together.
The accommodation is truly unique, to wake up with the sea-breeze and the sound of nature every morning is delightful, not a pane of glass in sight and trees and greenery everywhere.
Thank you guys you were truly wonderful.
PS If you get the chance go horse-riding with Delroy, what a gentleman!!!
Max n Annie

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2009

If your idea of heaven is of a well-run, beautifully located, friendly, fantastic lodging type of place in Jamaica with charming accommodation, then this is a place for you. Forget Jake's on the south coast. This is the real deal. Make sure you get up the road to the home of jerk chicken and mix with the locals. All in all, a great experience. The concrete beds in the hills overlooking the Caribbean are a great touch for watching the sunset. Bliss.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple