“Hidden Gem”
Review of Great Huts

Ranked #1 of 29 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Great Huts is an experience and vacation like no other. You get to experience the lush nature in Port Antonio, Jamaica first hand. Nestled in what seems like the Jamaican rain forest lies a resort tucked away under these magnificent, magical trees. Individual huts are laid out far away from each other that you don't get disrupted by your neighbours. You are tucked away in your own tree house. Essentially, a childhood fantasy come to life. The rooms are an open concept, yet private. The cooks are friendly, and make fantastic food. I'm very picky and I was satisfied. I was worried about what I could eat and was happy with every meal.
I can express how beautiful the view is over looking the cliffs or just sitting in a hammock listening to the waves crash.
Not to mention, Snoop Dog filmed a music there...if a celebrity chose Great Huts, you know there is something to it!
You will never see or stay at a hotel like this ever again in your life!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have unique qualities.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Daria F, Director of Sales at Great Huts, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Thank you very much for such a lovely and honest response! We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us!

Hope to see you back soon!

Thank you!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had the most amazing experience at Great huts. From the moment you arrive you are transcended into the culture of jamaica. As a jamaican, i was pleased to see that we had a vacation destination of this kind. Great huts is rustic and romantic lol. The view from my room was magnificent and the food reminded me of home. The staff is professional and helpful. The saturday night cultural show was awesome and had us dancing along with the group. I will definately be going back and taking a few more people with me.

Room Tip: Bamboo Tree house has the most amazing view and the jacuzzi tub is too die for.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yanique Q
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I don't know where to begin. This place was everything we hoped for and more. It truly exceeded our expectations.

We stayed in the Bamboo Tree House. Perfect for a couple, romantic and relaxing. The sound of the waves crashing at night, you can't beat it.

Hotel staff was friendly and accommodating, helping us set up various trips and excursions. You MUST, MUST do the bamboo rafting trip down the Rio grande River and the hike up Reach Falls.
Winnifred Beach and taking surf lessons at Great Hut's own Boston Beach were other highlights of our trip.

So many places to relax, so many gorgeous vista points. This place is a real treat, and it's worth the long trip to get there.

Only negatives I can think of is that the morning breakfast can get repetitive (although the coffee is awesome!!) and at night you can be disturbed at times by the dogs howling and sometimes load crickets (but you're in nature, so that's what you signed up for). Also, some of the huts are very close together, and one of the night's we were disturbed by our load neighbors being a tad drunk and boisterous. That was only one night, however, and the majority of guests come here looking for peace and serenity.

I would highly recommend this place. We fell in love with Portland and Great Huts, and we will be back for sure!

Room Tip: It seems that the Sea Grape hut is the most private, but we were thrilled with the layout and the vi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Daria F, Director of Sales at Great Huts, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you James for a great review! Great feedback on the breakfast - we will certainly look into it! By the way, have you check out our new website yet - hope you like it. And remember that if you come back we will give you 15% discount! Thank you again!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

If you enjoy being close to nature and the tranquil sound of the sea, then Great Huts is the perfect place for you. I stayed at the Sea Grape and the views are absolutely spectacular. I will definitely be back,

Room Tip: View the rooms on their website to help you decide. If you dont want to climb ladders or steps the S...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sophia J

Thank you for your great review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Great Huts!

By the way, we have just launched a new website, so please check it out and let us know what do you think!

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We picked Jamaica as our Spring Break destination and lucked out by finding Great Huts on the internet. We took one look at Fig Tree Hut and booked immediately. I cannot believe that the resort is even better than the photos on the website but it is. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, you feel welcomed and safe and happy. The place is a feast for the eyes. All of the huts and tree houses and lounges fit right in with the landscape and look like they were made to be there. Everywhere you look you find a beautiful authentic piece of artwork, whether a sculpture, a painting, a mask, a chair, a carved door and on and on. The staff is so great -- they will discuss the art with you. Paul H. & Lloyda will sit with you for however long you want and talk about origins -- of Great Huts, of Jamaica, of the people, of the African and Jamaican artwork, of the homeless shelter. When you walk in for breakfast in the morning, you are never certain who you will meet -- maybe a traveling drummer, maybe an interesting guest from afar -- but you are certain you will always remember them! The Saturday night performance is very entertaining.

Fig Tree was fabulous. We didn't want to leave. The waves lulled you to sleep and we never tired of the view: the rugged cliffs, the beautiful ocean, the boardwalk that led you to swinging chairs, the trails that led you to a hammock or a turtle or the beach that was wonderfully thought out with hammocks and chaise lounges and stone chairs carved into the rocks. The property is so well designed and thought out that you find yourself hoping you didn't miss something.

We have two teenage boys so we also needed some adventures off the resort and Mr. Gordon and Laur-Ann were great at directing us to the guides that would provide them. One of our best evenings was spent on the bamboo rafts going down the Rio Grande -- all because Mr. Gordon arranged for a very fun and safe guide. Paul H directed us to a guide to take us one afternoon for a boat ride around the coast and snorkeling around Monkey Island. We missed out on Lloyda's suggestion for Reach Falls because we ran out of time. But the staff makes sure you have safe and experienced guides and provides you with a cell phone to make sure you can call if needed. We rented a car and never regretted it. As much as we didn't want to leave the beauty of the property, we still wanted to explore Portland parish and nearby areas. The jerk center right outside is great -- get to know the people that work there -- you will be passing by them each time you leave and they are very friendly and fun. A must stop is Charlie Brown's Arts & Crafts on the road from Port Antonio to Great Huts. After that, stop at Woody's Low Bridge Restaurant. You won't regret it.

Great Huts was perfect for us -- no cruise ships and shops -- just natural beauty and friendly people. It's a place I would definitely go back to. Any time of the year.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Brigid H
Daria F, Director of Sales at Great Huts, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Thank you Brigid!

We are delighted you had such an amazing fun time at Great Huts! And we hope to see you back soon!

Regards,
Great Huts!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Visiting Great Huts was the absolute highlight of our visit to Jamaica. We actually circled the entire island and got a good sampling of many places, and Great Huts was absolutely the best of Jamaica. True to the origins of the Jamaican people, the African-themed huts were authentic and totally 4-star comfortable. The staff are warm and inviting, and we especially enjoyed Lloyda and Hugh, the managers. Having read that they support a shelter in town, we brought our gently-used teeshirts and shorts to donate, and this was greatly appreciated. Our 18-yr-old son decided that Great Huts will be the place he will return to for his honeymoon some day. It is indeed romantic, yet also family friendly. We could not recommend a visit to the Great Huts more highly.

Room Tip: Because we were four people, we needed a 4-person hut, and the Queen of Sheba was mind-blowing! Act...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Sue D
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I had the pleasure of spending 4 days with a large group at Great Huts. I think I have to go back to my childhood to remember a time before this that I slept so well. When I close my eyes and think of my time back at Great Huts, I can still hear the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks below. There is something about Great Huts that makes you feel like a kid again. I stayed in the Bamboo Tree House and every morning I would wake up to the fantastic view of the surfing beach nearby. I had visited prior to my stay, so I knew what to expect. I knew it would be a bit more rustic and open. You have to go with that in mind, otherwise I think it would take quite an adjustment. Given the size of our group, we opted for the meal plan which is quite reasonable. The food is delicious and the portion sizes are generous. If you prefer to find lunch and dinner on your own, Great Huts is located in the birthplace of jerk chicken, so there are many options just outside.

Room Tip: I liked that I was able to view the specific hut that I was staying in on the website before my arri...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
#23 of 63 in Montego Bay
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
#5 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!