We picked Jamaica as our Spring Break destination and lucked out by finding Great Huts on the internet. We took one look at Fig Tree Hut and booked immediately. I cannot believe that the resort is even better than the photos on the website but it is. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, you feel welcomed and safe and happy. The place is a feast for the eyes. All of the huts and tree houses and lounges fit right in with the landscape and look like they were made to be there. Everywhere you look you find a beautiful authentic piece of artwork, whether a sculpture, a painting, a mask, a chair, a carved door and on and on. The staff is so great -- they will discuss the art with you. Paul H. & Lloyda will sit with you for however long you want and talk about origins -- of Great Huts, of Jamaica, of the people, of the African and Jamaican artwork, of the homeless shelter. When you walk in for breakfast in the morning, you are never certain who you will meet -- maybe a traveling drummer, maybe an interesting guest from afar -- but you are certain you will always remember them! The Saturday night performance is very entertaining.
Fig Tree was fabulous. We didn't want to leave. The waves lulled you to sleep and we never tired of the view: the rugged cliffs, the beautiful ocean, the boardwalk that led you to swinging chairs, the trails that led you to a hammock or a turtle or the beach that was wonderfully thought out with hammocks and chaise lounges and stone chairs carved into the rocks. The property is so well designed and thought out that you find yourself hoping you didn't miss something.
We have two teenage boys so we also needed some adventures off the resort and Mr. Gordon and Laur-Ann were great at directing us to the guides that would provide them. One of our best evenings was spent on the bamboo rafts going down the Rio Grande -- all because Mr. Gordon arranged for a very fun and safe guide. Paul H directed us to a guide to take us one afternoon for a boat ride around the coast and snorkeling around Monkey Island. We missed out on Lloyda's suggestion for Reach Falls because we ran out of time. But the staff makes sure you have safe and experienced guides and provides you with a cell phone to make sure you can call if needed. We rented a car and never regretted it. As much as we didn't want to leave the beauty of the property, we still wanted to explore Portland parish and nearby areas. The jerk center right outside is great -- get to know the people that work there -- you will be passing by them each time you leave and they are very friendly and fun. A must stop is Charlie Brown's Arts & Crafts on the road from Port Antonio to Great Huts. After that, stop at Woody's Low Bridge Restaurant. You won't regret it.
Great Huts was perfect for us -- no cruise ships and shops -- just natural beauty and friendly people. It's a place I would definitely go back to. Any time of the year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio