“Most memorable experieince”

Ranked #1 of 27 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Byron Bay, Australia
“Most memorable experieince”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed in the Bamboo Treehouse and the view was amazing. Never will you get such a beautiful view right at the sea. there were so many bright green lizards and hermit crabs, my husband got the best photos.
I loved the jerk Centre just at the end of the dirt track. It really was the best jerk on the island and we bought some homemade hot jerk sauce, 6 actually!!! it was that good. The jerk pork was so yum and it was really fun everyday walking up from the beach for lunch and dinner. Roger and Peter were really friendly. The staff at the great huts were super friendly and welcoming, especially Chantel. The show in the restaurant was fun too. We met people who had been there for weeks and I can see why, once you get to know all the locals it is like you are friends and it was sad to go in the end.
Please do not skip this part of Jamaica, the beach is beautiful, the jerk is so tasty and the huts are the coolest and prettiest accomodation I've stayed in. Bed was comfy, hot water was hot, price was cheap and scenery beautiful :)

Room Tip: probably double check the bedding configuration when they email back to confirm you reservation.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Great huts was an amazing experience. My girlfriend myself and 2 friends traveled jamaica for a month and this was hands down the best resort we had the pleasure of staying at. We stayed in the biggest hut which had 2 floors and a crow's nest as the 3rd level. We were able to negotiate the rate very easily (800 CDN for 5 nights) for all of us. Very good deal. Not only were the staff great but the locals were very welcoming and kind hearted. The cliffs across the bay are worth the walk to jump off. The food huts just outside the resort makes awesome traditional Jamaican food

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank justo90
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This place is great many tree houses and cool rooms reasonable price and an awesome surf spot Boston beach also the home of jamaican jerk chicken the locals are super cool and many other cool beaches nearby fun and a really cool experience over all

Room Tip: Almond tree is a great room they're all very different so look at a few
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Don't get me wrong......

The place and staff are / is wonderful. If you love Mother Nature and her little creatures, YOU need to experience Great Huts.

Okay so lets start ....
Staff and food = Amazing, breakfast greasy a little but who cares I'm on vacation. The rest OMG the pizza, you need to try it. So good that I have requested for home delivery. Not sure if they have salt/pepper or ketchup. They didn't offer, we didn't request it. Being used to all inclusive, I found it hard to have their attention. I needed to interrupt them and request for a / more beers. Maybe its because they are not use to us Québecquers (yes we love our beer). So it was hard to tip them "properly".

Oh and they offer a cell phone for FREE when we went rafting....WOW.

Our room, sea grape = AMAZING. Love the clift, the bath outside and shower in the jungle with creepy crawlers everywhere, didn't want to leave. We had a fridge, yes they have safe and the cleaning lady do her best to keep it lovely. We had no bugs, just geckoes and crab, climbing up and down. Water HOT and drinkable. Downside of the room, its not has colourful (floor). The bushes are high so you can't really see the ocean sitting down. Our long chair outside was a bit damage and not comfortable (use the cushion from the chair in the hut) hey with a beer NO PROBLEM. If you have long hair bring your conditioner, the room doesn't have a hair blower or iron. You can request them. They have very thick and quality beach towels so thick they take forever to dry.

Beach = QUIET. Small but so peaceful, we were there for 4 days/nights, the local from Boston beach came to see us for surfing 3 times (not bad at all) they are friendly and NOT pushy at all. And yes you do smell "pot" some staff smoke's right there at the beach in the little "cave". Didn't care really. Downside, we needed to go get our drink at the reception. Nobody came down to ask us if we needed something. I get it..its NOT all-inclusive but.......

Okay so remember this; I was there on low season, I think the max we were was 8 at one point Maybe that is why we didn't have much service for drinks. Ride from kingston is almost 2 hours 130 $ usd one way for 2 . Would I rent a car? NO, NOT without a GPS. Would I rented a Taxi for cheaper NO because at one point you need to change company at a Texaco (?) gas station because they don't go further and from there the pack you with others. When its your first time you don't know this but If I go again I will use the Taxi. Our chauffer was Jiggles and was kind enough to stop for beers. Jerk shacks AWESOME, DELICIOUS and most important SAFE.... go.... you will love the locals, I had a blast.

Okay now the negative. I have to say the DARN ( being polite here) discotheque across the bay. Its open until 4am and trust me you can hear the music in your HUT like it was youre radio playing. The dogs, I love dogs, I have 4 of them. Each time a car turn around in front of the Huts at night the dogs barks and it woke us up. For us being early birds breakfast at 8am is late, but that's US. Oh and people can "drop in" to see your hut. I do understand its so nice, we did the same just remember someone can see you naked without really knowing you are there.

Would I go again? GOD YES, with kids? My teen would have go nuts with no T.V in the room. My 8 yrs would have LOVE IT.

Room Tip: Sea Grape is more private. Do not wear heels, if you do you will NOT survive. Eat lobster at the sha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HotDragon
GreatHuts P, Manager at Great Huts, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
We would like to express our gratitude to the guests for the kind words in the review. The owner and management of the resort always strive to satisfy our guests so that they have a pleasant experience. From our team we would like to send our sincere apology for the music coming from the dance. Music and dances are a part of the Jamaican culture, and it is highly unusual for there to be a dance every night. Normally, there are one or two each week on Boston Bay. A new dancehall club opened the week of these guests' visit the club’s owners went overboard, despite our call to the police to visit and insist on sound control. Normally, sound boxes can blast until 11 PM on weekdays and 2 PM on weekends. The average of sleep quality ratings on 225 Trip Adviser reviews is 4.5 out of 5. These guests' experience was highly unusual and we are so sorry.
In regards to the smoking on the beach, sometimes persons from the Boston Bay area will come unto our beach and smoke there. Our apologies for any annoyance caused. We are working to remedy the situation. It is difficult as the beach like all beaches in Jamaica is under the ownership and control of the Jamaican Government and as such Great Huts cannot prohibit the locals from coming to the beach. We have however upgraded our security with uniform security guards during the daytime that will also assist you in getting a drink if you ask them.
We are working with our staff to improve service quality and maximize the efficiency of our Kitchen. We have met again with our chefs and urged that a minimal amount of coconut oil and butter are used to fry our eggs so as to decrease the 'grease.' We greatly appreciate your feedback and your support and look forward to improving to become the best Great Huts Resort possible.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am a 60 year old Afro-centric, African-American woman. My first trip to Jamaica was a high school graduation gift in 1970. Since then I have travelled to Jamaica at least 13 times and have explored the island from coast to coast. I have stayed in many memorable hotels including Hedonism, Bar-B-Barn and Negril Beach Club in Negril; Rose Hall, Doctor's Cave Beach Hotel and the Wexford in Montego Bay; Plantation Manor in Ocho Rios; Jamaica, Jamaica in Runaway Bay, as well as villas in Trelawny and Falmouth. Each one had its own special flavor, but Great Huts is my all time favorite!

My girlfriend, our driver and I had made the almost six hour trip from Negril, and by the time we arrived, I was not sure our stay at Great Huts would be worth the effort. However, from the moment we entered the simple bamboo gate, we knew we were in for a truly unique and special experience. The huge vases filled with ginger, birds of paradise and giant palm leaves, coupled with the verdant foliage everywhere we looked, did indeed make me feel that we had entered paradise!

I loved the two story Gatehouse that serves as a check-in/lobby, eat-in kitchen and library complete with large flat screen TV. I am a lover of art and books, especially those that reflect the culture of the African Diaspora. I was in heaven, because ethnic art was everywhere and as I perused the book shelves, I wasn't sure which book to choose first. Behind one of the kitchen counters was the base of a 2 story bird cage. A curious cockatoo heard our voices and greeted us with "hello, hello,hello!" He was one of many lovely birds and a menagerie of animals that we enjoyed watching each day. The dining room/deck was on the second floor and featured uniquely handcrafted chairs and tables. The entire resort had been sprinkled liberally with art that reflects a Jewish and African heritage.

We stayed in the two story Queen of Sheba Hut, which was nothing short of magnificent! The pictures on the website really don't do it justice. It appeared to be constructed of coral or some type of porous stone, and featured an indoor bathroom complete with sunken tub, and an outdoor one that quickly became our favorite. There was a king sized four poster bed with beautiful draperies, and animal skins covered the floors. The steps leading to the second floor were steep, and took a little getting used to. The second floor was equipped with hand carved, natural wood double beds with mosquito netting, a couple of lounge areas and a flat screen TV/DVD. One thing that struck me was that although every structure on the property was built with respect for nature, we still had technology at our fingertips. There was free Wi-Fi that extended everywhere except the beach, and we were supplied with a free phone that allowed us to stay in contact with friends in other parishes.

Great Huts is located in a region that is the most lushly tropical and beautiful that I've seen in Jamaica, thus far. There are several areas of the resort that feature sitting areas on cliffs high above the water, that allow for a magnificent view. The pool and yoga stage are among the amenities located up high. We loved the resort so much, that we are planning to hold a healing retreat for women there next year. The natural beauty of the resort is therapeutic in itself, and the African Village style offers travelers of African descent a unique opportunity to study our history while communing with nature.

Also of utmost importance is the fact that Dr. Paul Rhodes, owner of Great Huts has created a much needed Homeless Shelter and Rehabilitation Center in Port Antonio. We took time out to visit and talk to some of the residents, who sincerely expressed their gratitude for the facility. It was clean and cheerfully painted. A painting of Bob Marley was on the front wall along with part of a song lyric, "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds." The residents were busy learning new skills, engaging in activities such as gardening, using their skills to help other residents or secure donations for the Center. We were so moved that my friend, who is a licensed therapist, is considering volunteering to work here for a few months. We will definitely encourage friends to make donations.

Make sure your stay includes a Saturday if you'd like to participate in a morning yoga session. The high energy cultural show, highlighting native drumming and dancing, is held on Saturday nights. It is a treat that's not to be missed! Throw caution to the wind, like we did, and take to the dance floor! Participating was a great way to learn about Jamaican culture, while having fun. Several cultural education programs are also offered that we plan to explore on subsequent trips. I'm especially eager to learn more about Rastafarian Culture, Jamaican Art, Cooking and Churches. All in all, Great Huts exceeded my expectations and lived up to its slogan, "Paradise on the Edge." I am looking forward to my next trip!

Room Tip: Great Huts features huts for every type of traveller desiring simple, cohabitation with nature. The...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and our two teenage daughters spent three nights at Great Huts last month. We stayed in the Fig Tree which we highly recommend, because it was large and the views were fantastic. The staff were very helpful, especially the younger night watchman who arranged taxi drivers for us and also had coffee ready for us early every morning. The breakfast at Great Huts was good. We ate most of our meals at the Boston Jerk Center located just outside the Great Huts which was quite a dining experience at night with two teenage daughters to look after. My only complaint is that the staff allows local men to smoke weed and swear and occupy the chairs at the hotel's small private beach which made my wife and daughters uncomfortable. I complained to the staff about the situation, but nothing was done. Other than that problem, we had a great time. Just don't let your children go down to the private beach alone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian L
GreatHuts P, Owner at Great Huts, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We wish to express our gratitude to the guest for the kind words in the review. The owner and management of the resort always strive to satisfy our visitors and to ensure that both adults as well as children can leave Great Huts with a feeling of having a pleasant experience.
Great Huts Resort does not only provide a lodging service that allows our guests to co-exist in nature with some wildlife while enjoying the elements; we also offer the services of the “Safari Deck” our full service restaurant and the “Pharaoh” our full service bar. Our nature trail and boardwalk gives a breathtaking view of the cliffs and the ocean forty feet below. So does the swimming pool perched on top of the cliffs alongside the ‘Rocks Café’ where the best jerk pork and chicken is to be found in Boston Jamaica.
Then there is our beach, located just across from the Boston Bay and nestled in amongst the coral reefs that provide some shade and a really cozy backdrop. Adorned with hammocks and cushioned wooden beach chairs.
The beach like all beaches in Jamaica is under the ownership and control of the Jamaican Government and as such Great Huts cannot prohibit the locals from coming to the beach. However, we have upgraded our security with uniformed guards from 7:00am to 5:00pm to prevent any of the locals from any illegal practices such as the harassment of our guests, smoking of marijuana as well as trespassing on the hotels property (furniture). They are also guarded against any improper behavior especially using foul language, soliciting and any unwanted approaches to our guests. When we took your complaint we immediately made the provision to have the security come in the next day and we have had beach security ever since.

Dr. Paul S. Rhodes
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Great Huts has a kind of African-like concept set in Caribbean's Jamaica. It is already a curious choice and I'm still trying to get where they are trying to lead their guests to with such an idea, while Jamaican culture would be already very interesting to introduce to foreigners.

Be prepared, the canopy they maintain in the resort makes the place 100% humid and broke my phone charger. I had to put it in rice overnight to be able to charge my phone again.

As a solo backpacker, I never expect perverction for the places I stay at. Great Huts is the most expensive I paid for accommodation during my trip in Jamaica, but it was the nastiest room I stayed in. The room was super tiny, poorly located, the floor dusty (and then muddy because I got in with water on my shoes), one of the "window" wasn't even covered and the other one only had some piece of plastic nailed in front of it, so there was no way to control the light flow or the insects. There was no mosquito net either.

The staff didn't make me feel welcome either. One of the young girl at the reception was always laughing with a hysteric laughter and spoke loudly in Patois with other employees. I think some guests were feeling like she was laughing at them, everyone was a bit uncomfortable. On the other side, I thank the handy man who found some uncooked rice to help me with my phone!

Fortunately, I was able to spend most of my time on Boston Bay beach surfing and body boarding, and in the jerk center, where I was able to hang out with locals and have a good time. I don't plan on going back to Great Huts, but I will go again to Boston Bay. I only need to find a new accommodation where the price you pay is worth the service you get.

Room Tip: I guess if you put the money for the most expensives huts, they might be cleaner than the rat hole t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gabrielle R
GreatHuts P, Owner at Great Huts, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
As the designer and owner of Great Huts, I apologize for disappointing any of our guests. Certainly had we known of your discomfort we would have worked to remedy the situation through a free upgrade or refund. The guest we dissatisfied made a reservation for the Granary for one night. The Granary is a reproduction of a West African millet seed silo. It is constructed of steel reinforced concrete block and painted with African designs including that of an Antelope. The fenestrations are not glass windows as we have no glass windows at Great Huts. One ‘window’ is actually represents the head of the antelope painted and sculpted on the exterior of the silo. One porthole like window is completely open; the other two are covered with a fabric curtain, not a piece of plastic as stated in the review. While we require a two night minimum stay and believe that 5-7 nights or more is an optimal duration to acclimate to, and better understand and enjoy the Resort, we waived the two night requirement and charged a one night fee of 35 dollars including a full breakfast plus about 5 dollars in tax. One week in the Granary is only 280 dollars or less, a great deal for Port Antonio and the amenities Great Huts does offer (wireless internet, extensive book and film library, free cell phone use, free overseas calls to US and Canada, breakfast, beach and snorkeling equipment, lovely dining deck and cultural shows, private beach with cushioned lounge chairs, great views from public areas and many other attractions and comforts.) Please understand that the pricing of all our units seeks to cover our daily operating costs of 1000 USD each day for salaries including security guards, enormous electricity and piped water costs, obligatory insurance, government fees and 16.5% sales tax. I have invested approximately one million USD in Great Huts since our inception; I received no return on my investment and take no salary to date. Great Huts and the homeless shelter we operate are my passions and my life's work. Sometimes a guest may not realize a proprietor's business costs. It is expensive to offer huts and admittedly we may seem too expensive for what we offer. I would be pleased to answer additional questions about our operating costs and the pricing from about 35 dollars to 250 dollars per hut pre-tax and include my cellular phone number below. I maintain that our prices are fair.
Regarding the moisture i absolutely deny that the humidity at Great Huts outside or under the forest canopy is 100 percent, except for when it is actually raining. The guest stayed for but one night and it was raining. We have never experienced a failure of a phone or charger due to the relative humidity at Great Huts unless the electronic device was actually submerged under water. The guest stayed for but one night and it was raining. Moreover, only 1/5 of the acreage of Great Huts is under cover of tall trees. The beach, the cliff, and our meadow and most of the resort has low elevation bush such as Noni trees, Sea Grape and grasses. The cool ocean breezes generally make Great Huts temperature and sense of humidity quite pleasant year round.
As for our Afro-centric concept, as our guests are aware Jamaica was colonized by the Spanish and British. The Taino Amer-Indian population was slaughtered. Countless millions of enslaved African people perished in the middle passage and enslavement. To a large and tragic extent, Jamaican Blacks were conditioned to reject and forget African art, culture, religion and their proud history. I am but one small man but my passion was and remains to help create an African like environment in rural Jamaica which honors the ancestors and celebrates African Art and Culture. In this manner I seek to work with so many others who strive to enhance African retention in the Caribbean Diaspora. All our art is by Afro-centric JAMAICAN artists. As to the critic’s question as to ‘where (I am) going with the African feel’ of Great Huts, I state that most resorts of Jamaica, in particular the all-inclusives, aspire to distance and shield the guests from Jamaican history and the culture of the local communities. Not Great Huts! Many small resorts like Great Huts already do a fine job of introducing guests to Caribbean culture. I strive to introduce guests to an oft understated aspect of Jamaica, the African roots of 95 percent of the Jamaican population, the power and beauty of African art and culture, and the history of our Nation's at times tragic struggle with colonialism and tension related to assimilation to a white European culture. I have admittedly chosen to build un-conventionally and to minimally change the Great Huts environment - fossilized coral cliffs, jungle, rocky beach and our newly rented parcel, the meadow with board walk.
Regarding our happy staff , the laughter of Receptionist Yannicke & Chantel certainly was not meant to offend anyone. They categorically deny laughing at any guests. And certainly I do not wish for anyone anything but a wondrous time with nature, design, our books and musical entertainment. I have traveled to and volunteered as a physician in Jamaica since 1974. Admittedly my tastes and sensibilities for my resort are not for all travelers. I do not think we ‘are over rated’ but I am grateful that Great Huts does enjoy so many wonderful reviews because our style and design seem to resonate with the tastes and pleasures of the vast majority of our guests. We take every single review from our guests very seriously and will hopefully learn to be more sensitive to each guest's verbal and nonverbal cues. Our employees always act in a respectable and professional manner towards our guest and any conversation in the Jamaican dialect accompanied by laughter will never be for the intent of causing discomfort to our guest. We will do our best to make sure that we restore the trust of each guest in our resort and be confident with our services again. Satisfied customers are our biggest achievement. To make up for this, we have offered the displeased guest a refund of the total charge. We hope that this along with my detailed explanation can somehow compensate for the critics unpleasant experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Antonio
Zion Country Beach Cabins
Zion Country Beach Cabins
#2 of 27 in Port Antonio
Travellers Beach Resort

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!