So as not to repeat what everyone else has already said, first off if you have issues with bugs, lizards, hermit crabs, don't stay here, you will not enjoy yourself. While the place isn't overrun with creatures, they are there. If you do stay there, I advise keeping your bags sealed at all times, so that you do not take any visitors home with you...
As everyone's already discussed, the grounds are amazing! The views from the cliffs, the pool, the "lounge chairs" by the cafe. The "private beach" that GH has is nothing too special, but you can walk over to the sandy part easily and is very nice.
Rooms: We stayed 3 nights in the bamboo tree house and loved it! It was very clean, we loved the views from both floors. Pretty special experience to use the jacuzzi or take an open air shower right on the cliffs of the jungle. The bathroom area takes some getting used to if you're shy but it really is private! The bed was very comfortable and the mosquito net, we leanred, was one of the good ones. Room also has a safe and refrigerator, which was a nice touch! No hammock as pictured but deck was still nice. Our last night we stayed in the bamboo garden which we really disliked. If you plan to cook your own meals, it is nice since it has a full kitchen, and laundry unit. Otherwise, we didn't like it. The air was really stuffy, it's right next to the "lobby" area, and there were way more mosquitoes and ants then in our other rooms. I hvae no idea why it was more expensive then the other rooms, and while we didn't spend that much time in our room necessarily, I think had we stayed in this room the whole time we would have had a lesser experience.
Food: Breakfast is standard juice, coffee, fruit, toast and eggs. Service was fast (and by carribean standards extremely fast!). Dinner is in my opinion not that good and over priced ($15 per meal). Though of course you have Boston Jerk Center right outside your front door as well. It is nice that you can grab a beer or water or soda at anytime of day. Beers were $3 and water $1.
Staff: I found the staff to be just so-so. The young woman who ran the front area was nice, but very soft spoken and in my opinion not particularly helpful, both when I called ahead of time, as well as when we asked for help when we were there. She seemed to be not too knowledgeable about a lot of the common attractions and wasn't that into helping us. All the restaurant staff was super nice and friendly and service was very good.
If you do stay here, they're not kidding when they say bring comfortable shoes to walk around, bug spray, and a flashlight!
Oh, and the cultural show we found to be interesting but a bit cheesy. If you have young kids, it's great, or if you're there it's fine to watch but wasn't a mind-blowing event.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio