“Experience of a Lifetime!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Antonio
Frenchman's Cove Resort
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
San Antonio
“Experience of a Lifetime!”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I vacationed at Frenchman's Cove Resort in June 2011 and we loved every single minute of our experience.
We stayed at the Resort in Villa #3, it was very intimate, romantic and secluded. We were able to explore the entire property during our 5 night stay and still didn't see it all. The River flows through the property, which is amazing. The staff's service was impeccable, gracious and unobtrusive. The resort set up our driver for us for the week, making it so simple to travel into Port Antonio to shop and walk along the Harbor and even set up a private shopping experience that allowed us to buy all of our trinkets through one man and helped us haggle too! We floated the Rio Grande, they made our reservations for Anna Banana's.
If you are considering a family trip, destination wedding, corporate retreat or seminar, or event just time to exhale, this is the place to stay!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Villas that surround the property. We stayed in Villa #3 and loved it but we were able...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Let me start off by saying that Frenchmans Cove Resort is not for everyone...if you want to be catered to, pampered, people waiting on you hand and foot, and want spotless accomodations, this place is NOT for you. However, if you enjoy the real Jamaica, away from the hustle and bustle of the north coast, and if you are content with decent rooms/villas in one of the most beautiful beach settings, then this place is great. I've stayed here twice, and I've visited the beach without spending the night, numerous times. The place was built in the 60's and once was very fancy and lavish. Those days are gone now, and though the villas are not new anymore, they have been partially refurbished and are quite sufficient for a nice vacation. Let's face it, with the beautiful, white-sand beach just steps away from your villa, who spends a lot of time indoors anyway?! The grounds are lovely...you are in a lush, tropical setting with a fresh-water river running thru the property...one can easily lounge there and spend an afternoon, without ever going on the beach. The beach itself is a beautiful cove, white sand, no sharp drops, no rocks in the water....the water is warm with little slightly cooler patches from the fresh water river, which meets the ocean right there. There is a cute sit-down restaurant on the beach with very reasonable prices. In a seperate building, there are changing rooms with toilets, showers, etc. It is possible to also have your meal on the beach. TIP: it does take about an hour for the food to arrive once you place your order, so just keep that in mind...you may want to order when you get there, then frolic around on the beach until the food is ready. The waiters will find you and bring your meal to you. Again, this is not a 5-star restaurant with waiters beckoning your every call....it's a simple establishment and if you have a nice, laid-back attitude, you will enjoy being here and eating here. The food is always good and the waiters have always been kind to us...it also depends on the attitude YOU display when dealing with the restaurant and hotel staff...a little kindness and a smile will get you much further, than a sour face with a "what's taking so long" look on your face.Keep in mind that you are not at home, you are on a Caribbean island, where the concept of time is a little different...so just let down your hair, go with the flow, be happy and all will be good! Frenchmans Cove Resort is a beautiful property with a nice "Old Hollywood" feel to it. You can tell that this place was once for the rich and glamorous. I can't wait to come back, I love it here!

Room Tip: the villas are all on cliffs, overlooking the sea or the beautiful property. The rooms in the Great...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank GermaicanSpiceGirl
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Stayed there on the 26th September for one night in a one bedroom villa suite. I could just imagine this place in its heydays. Needs lots of TLC but great grounds, great views and fabulous staff. Breakfast was avergae but the staff made up for any shortfall.

Would love to go back and spend at least a week reading and relaxing. If you stay here be sure to go to Boston the home of jerk in Jamaica. Had a great meal at Anna Banana, the food was great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Franklyn E
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at Frenchman's over the spring break. Heaven - wht more can I say. The thing about it, there are 18 villas spread over a 45 acre property. Our unit was situated near a 100 foot cliff and each night, we went to sleep with the waves crashing into the cliff wall. The scenery and fresh air wass exhilerating. Now to the beach, approximately 120 yards wide at the most - but private with very few other sunbathers. We loved the surf and spent a lot of time in the water. We also swam in the nearby freshwater lagoon. When we got hungry - what else but jerk chicken on the beach. Before lunch we had the freshest breakfast I've ever had including eggs, ham and fruit, toast, etc. in the outdoor dining area at the greathouse (where the only TV is located - which is a good thing) Anyways, back to lunch, delicious and right on the beach with a cold beer or rum punch. The villas themselves are rustic and that's the way they should stay because it reminded us of a movie set. Very spacious, with more than enough room for our little trio Sheets, etc. changed everyday and well maintained.. The service? Far exceeded my expectations and I've been to resorts where I am know by my first name. Hands down - this is the best. And finally, the cost. I almost fell off my chair when I was presented with the meagre bill. Our hotel and food amounted to much less than our cost to get there - need I say more. Do yourself a favour and book this resort if you want peace and quiet within a paradise within the paradise of Jamaica!.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Robinredfo
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed April 29, 2011

The location of this resort is very quiet and not commercialized like the western side of the island. The drive from Kingston is about 2 hours through very green, beautiful lush mountains. The Frenchman Cove beach and river is picturesque, like a piece of heaven. The river is clean and crystal clear and the beach is really nice as well. Our 14 month old baby absolutely loved the water and sand and the best thing about it for us was that the beach had shaded parts. So we weren't in the sun.

We stayed in a Villa and the view of the ocean is beautiful. The bedroom is nice and the bed was comfortable, but no tv or internet. The villa (#15) that we stayed in is in dire need of renovation. The glass doors didn't slide properly, and the kitchenette was horrible. It smelled like rodent or cockroaches. When the maid came in I took her in there and she said she didn't smell anything. The next day there were rodent droppings next to our baby bottle. This really bothered me and we told the staff. I really hope they do something about it. Other than that our stay was pleasant. We had an opportunity to look at another villa (# 11) and it was in much better condition. I am sure we will go again and I will definitely ask for that villa.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Sassie82
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2011

My Friend and I visited unexpectedly for one week in February. I found this place is like no other I have seen. Frenchman’s Cove is a quintessential piece of heaven on earth. It’s not a typical resort. It’s not overly busy. It’s quiet. Very quiet! From the ego-environment of the tropical forest to the private villa homes to the natural spring running through the property to the white sandy beach, Frenchman’s Cove provided the relaxation quest I needed. Just outside Port Antonio (a bustling little town should one need a dose of shopping, cars and people) this gated community with great staff and art deco decor provided everything I needed for rest and relaxation. This place is about peace and quiet in a beautiful setting. Don't expect "luxury" found in some mid to high end resorts. I did find comfort, space, quiet and all round unique.This place is priceless. For my next trip I plan to take a group of my staff for a work and holiday conference. Should be cool!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank DebLev
Halifax
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I visited there for one week with my friend and we completely enjoyed every second of it. Our cottage was spacious and provided privacy and separate sleeping areas for us and a common living area and outside deck/sitting area. The beds were comforable and the rooms were clean and well equipped and had beautiful views through the many sliding glass doors(walls). We really enjoyed the new beach bar/restaurant and spend lots of time there and at the beach, as well as walking around the spacious gardens. The trees are just incredible! Service is great, and you can be served directly on the beach or at the restaurant. Breakfast is included and is buffet style at the main house. Again served al fresco style, as you are never far away from the beauty that surounds this entire property. At the main house, they do have rooms there as well which we took a peak at and they looked very spacious, clean and well equipped and had their own patio/balcony. So either cottage or main room would be fine, just depending on what your needs/preferences would be. I would like to return with a group of us and either stay at the main house, or one of the larger cottage/combinations. I understand that they also have optional spa services there, but we didn't give it a try. If you want to truly relax and be inspired by the beauty of nature, while being well taken care of, this is a great place for you!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends