“You Will Love this Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Resort at Wilks Bay

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Antonio
The Resort at Wilks Bay
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Essex, Vermont
“You Will Love this Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed here in February of 2014 for a week. We have travelled all over the world and this was one of our best vacations ever for several reasons. First of all, James and Mary are the perfect hosts and strike just the right balance between ensuring your visit is perfect and giving you your privacy. They are full of suggestions and went with us on some of our outings. It was like having local friends who knew all the best things to see, do, and eat. Second, the villas are comfortable and the resort is located in a simply gorgeous part of Jamaica. The other guests are part of the fun. We also felt perfectly safe. I went walking alone in the hills every morning and encountered many locals who always gave me a friendly greeting and wanted to make sure I was okay (apparently walking for the pleasure of walking is not a local pastime). There was no pestering of tourists like in other spots in Jamaica where I have visited. Third, having a cook was wonderful and Brenda helped us try all sorts of new foods and local treats. I am a picky and not adventurous eater and I really enjoyed everything she made. I would have never have tried these foods in a hotel restaurant (e.g. curried goat which was delicious). Finally, we balanced hanging out and doing nothing with kayaking in the blue lagoon, visting Monkey Island, swimming in underground caves in Reach Falls, and driving around the island with Warren with the Rasta music blasting. It was the perfect way to spend a week in paradise.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vermonter4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Having never been to Jamaica before we were a bit skeptical as everybody kept telling us how unsafe it was. However from what we saw they couldn't have been more wrong. From the minute we were met at the airport to the minute we departed we have never met such a friendly and helpful bunch of people.
But the friendliest of the lot were James and Mary at Wilks Bay, an awful lot has been written about them in previous reviews and we can only echo all the positive remarks.From the first email I sent enquiring about availability you just knew you were dealing with people who really cared about their business. They truly want you to enjoy your stay with them and will do absolutely anything to ensure you have a holiday you won't forget. We were lucky to get Stacy as our housekeeper and again nothing was too much trouble, but it was the things you didn't ask for, but just miraculously happened that made all the difference.
We love just lazing by the pool/sea reading books and doing 'not a lot' and Wilks Bay is perfect for this. I enjoy snorkelling and in the 2 weeks we were there I saw, Octopus, Lobster, Eels/Snakes, Eagle Rays, and too many fish to mention. Every time I went for a snorkel I'd see something different.
If you are feeling more energetic they also have some Kayaks and Paddle boards to have a go on.
The other thing about the area as a whole that we couldn't believe was how quiet the surrounding beaches were. We visited San San (1 minute walk away) quite a few times and everytime we were the only people on a half mile stretch of caribbean beach. Frenchmans Cove (3 minute walk away) was slightly busier but I think mainly because it has a small restaurant.
We stayed in the detached cottage which was perfect for us but if we go again I think we would stay in a 1 bedroom apartment as they have a little more room and get a nice breeze blowing through them.
So James, Mary and Stacy thankyou for showing us a little bit of paradise! Hope to be back with you one day.
My advice is to go quick as I can't see this area being as quiet as it is for too much longer.
Oh,one last thing you don't need to take beach towels they have stacks!

Room Tip: The one bed apartments are larger than the detached cottage, feel more modern inside and get a nice...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chatham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I've been to Jamaica many times, and the North Coast area near Port Antonio, is my favorite location on the island for a relaxing vacation. It is not at all "touristy", yet as a tourist you will experience the beauty of Jamaica without the crowds. We just discovered The Resort at Wilks Bay and it was perfect for what we wanted to do--simply relax and enjoy island life. It's located in a beautiful cove between San San Beach and Frenchman's Cove. We kayaked and snorkeled right there by our cottage. We went to Frenchman's Cove, a larger beach one day, and we also headed to nearby Reach Falls, which was spectacular. We swam in the Blue Lagoon and we had jerk chicken at Boston Bay. We were well taken care of by our hosts, James and Mary and our exceptional cook and housekeeper, Brenda. Brenda cooked authentic Jamaican dishes, which were delicious, and even gave us a recipe for Brown Stewfish so that we could try to replicate it at home. We are 4 adults and the 2 bedroom cottage was perfect for us. Clean and comfortable, with a beautiful view of the sea from each room. We ate out on the deck overlooking the view. James took us on some sightseeing excursions and on our last night there, they had a bonfire on the beach. I highly recommend Wilks Bay for anyone looking for a unique, authentic Jamaica experience. It is simply beautiful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed there by myself last August. James and Mary made sure I enjoyed and at no time was I bored. I went to dinner, for drinks and visited Trident hotel with them where I saw the Jolly Boys played. Ebony my housekeeper made whatever I wanted to eat and went shopping for me as well. Chow was always ready to get me coconut from the tree. I even went to the local street dance accompanied by Chow and Ebony. I felt safe. This is my third attempt at posting a review. I really enjoyed my stay and will be back.
Tanya D.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank natashlee
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed with my parents for a weekend last month and it was a great experience! The grounds are beautifully maintained and the rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. Every unit appears to have a spectacular ocean view, and you get to hear the sound of the ocean as you sleep which is pretty great!

The best part however was the service, James and Mary are wonderful hosts, and their staff are extremely helpful and attentive.

My parents and I loved our time there, and definitely plan to return!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was my 3rd visit to Port Antonio (arguably the finest area in all of Jamaica!). I had never heard of The Resort at Wilks Bay previously. Admittedly, the booking process is a bit off putting, but rest assured, upon arrival and greeting by owners Mary and James, the concerns of both my husband and myself evaporated. They are both gracious and friendly and have taken great pride in their lovely oceanfront property. We stayed in the only 1 bedroom cottage on site. It is closest to the surf and very comfortable. Included in our rate is the service of a housekeeper and cook. The kitchen is tiny, but Ebony managed beautifully! She is quite professional and blew us away with her delicious cooking! The meals were served on our patio overlooking the water and nearby swimming pool. We fell asleep (on a very comfortable bed!) to the sound of waves and tree frogs. Amazing! The beach is quite nice, but not for swimming as there is much rock and coral and is very shallow. The wooden jetty reaches out to deeper water perfect for swimming and snorkeling though. Next door, at Frenchman's Cove, is a perfect swimming beach and Wilk's Bay provides day passes. It's an easy walk too. There are great walking and running trails and James provided us with a map that made it easy to navigate and explore. One of the resort's helpers, Chow, discovered a flat tire on our rented car and took care of it right away. We did not have a look at the "apartments" (all 1 bedroom I believe) nor the 3 bedroom house that is available as well, but they are beautiful. This resort would be fantastic to rent for a large group/family, which we are considering for the future.

Room Tip: If it's just 1 or 2 of you, don't hesitate to reserve the 1 bedroom cottage!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smar530
Durham, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Spent six nights at Wilks Bay the first week of January. Stayed in the one bedroom cottage near the coastline. Perfect spot for just hanging out and enjoying the perfect scenery and weather. Angela was our housekeeper and we found her to be very engaging and easy to be with. She was very willing to prepare whatever we wanted to eat and took multiple trips to the store to purchase ingredients. Ebony was there helping her out as needed. Chow, Keron and Winston were always available to cut open fresh coconuts for us or to carry the kayak to the beach so we could paddle over to the Blue Lagoon and Monkey Island to go snorkeling (highly recommend doing this). Mary and James Lowe are the best kind of hosts, always available when you need them and willing to do whatever you need to ensure a great time. Went to Port Antonio with James, also to Boston Beach for jerk --the best in Jamaica. Toured Gee Jam studios with the sound engineer (and singer) Newton "Witta Majick" check out his you tube video "Party till the Sun Rise" which was filmed on the street in Port Antonio. Saw the Jolly Boys perform (?) there that same evening. Capped off our stay Friday night with a trip to the local restaurant "Soldiers" with James, Mary and three of the other guests staying at Wilks Bay. We had people originating from Jamaica and Manchester, England (James and Mary), Switzerland, Brazil, Siberia, Russia as well as the two of us from Pennsylvania, USA. It was a fun evening that ended up with us getting Devonhouse ice cream from their Port Antonio shop. Sorrel was the seasonal flavor and really good. Wilks Bay is an ideal place to vacation if you are seeking an individualized experience with good food, New friends and fun memories. We'll be back! Don't hesitate to message me with any questions. This is a great place to stay and the best location in all off Jamaica to visit.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
The Cliff Hotel
The Cliff Hotel
#2 of 84 in Negril
Hermosa Cove - Jamaica's Villa Hotel

Been to The Resort at Wilks Bay? Share your experiences!