“Worthwhile stop on the way to Port Antonio!”
Review of Somerset Falls

Somerset Falls
Book In Advance
More Info
$140.00*
and up
Port Antonio Day Trip from Ocho Rios
More attraction details
Owner description: Surrounded by lush greenery, these falls are best approached via gondola.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Amazing - worth the $12 fee! We had three guides who took us on quick boat ride to the falls, let us swim in the pool below the falls to then jump through them from behind in a cave and also jump from a cliff at least 12ft up from the base. A good option if you are looking for something equally fun, but different from Dunn's River Falls!

All reviews
"mountainside"
"rocks"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed January 2, 2014

These are great falls. We went here on the Christmas Eve. So, it was really quite and we had the falls to ourselves pretty much. Our three guides really took great care of us - and guided us through the water falls and ensured safety as we jumped into the pool at the base of the falls. The water was a little cold but enjoyable once the body gets used to the temperature. Totally worth $12 per person.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Took my little ones here and it was perfect for kids 6 and under. Not too many people running around and there is a nice area for them to play and splash in. There was a small water park being added when we were there so hopefully that will be complete when we head back next year. The staff was great and kept us entertained throughout our wait to get on the boat.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

ROOMS, BAR, POOL, ACTIVITIES barely describe the Natural Oasis ‘Somerset Falls’.

The rainforest is shrouded in a thick blanket of lush, green vegetation, flora, sparkling pool, and the excited chatter of people swimming, drinking, strolling, or simply lying back and soaking up nature.

Cages with birds and small animals pique the interest of children who stood on tip toes to view. I stood and inhale the freshness of this forest like wonderland as the freshness seeps through my skin and the scents linger in my nostrils.

Small streams trickled from every nook and cranny of the mountain side and spilled in tiny stony moss covered openings or ran sluggishly into small canals alongside the walkways.

Myriads of rustic stone steps lined the mountainside and led to what I learned was the main attraction ‘the majestic fall’, at the extreme top of a mountainous terrain. As I climbed and climbed i was greeted on the left and right with mini waterfalls that fell from the mountainside . This count intensifies as I excitedly snap pictures of larger waterfalls that fell from super size rocks in the mountainside and empties into a large river that rush madly along large rocks. I stopped at a rest stop that hung from the mountainside that was cleverly crafted to blend with the natural settings of the environment. I had reached the top at last.

Alongside the mountain at the top sat lovely, ceramic looking benches that was occupied by eager adventurers waiting excitedly to receive a WET OR DRY RIDE to the main fall. I enquired and was told WET (you would receive a bathe directly under the fall, DRY (the boat would take you near but not directly under). I opted for the DRY to avoid the icy fingers of the water I felt and saw the swimmers bravely reveling in, (No I am not chicken. Lol)

I was finally loaded in the boat and as the lifeguard guided it slowly upstream. I heard a loud gushing sound like the hoof beats of thousands of wild horses. Excitement mounted in the boated as we wormed our way closer and closer through the narrow cavern like entrance upstream. Finally, we neared the mouth of a huge dark cave, and the boat was guided inside. Oh my God! WOW !!! WOW!!! Flowed from every lip. My eyes turned to saucers and I gasped in astonishment, way above as if flowing from the skies, I saw two majestic waterfalls thundering from above two rock and falling through a narrow opening from either side of the mountain then emptying INSIDE THE CAVE; as if that dose of sheer beauty wasn’t enough I looked up and saw the SUN streaming through the opening and mingling with the waterfall forming diamond like droplets of water.

Some occupants in the boat cowered in fear of the protruding rocks, which I noticed looked as if they were intricately carved by hand, the patterns sparked the interest of some, while others express disgust as they stated they were too eerie. I snapped and snapped almost oblivious as the boat spiraled almost out of control in a mad dance enforced by the powerful pull of the water. My excitement reached to a dizzying pitch as the boat edged the closest it could for a DRY RIDE. Screams of oh my god! echoed from each lip as we were showered in diamond like droplets and each person gaze in amazement and appreciation at the splendor of the falls. As we picked our way carefully out the cave, I heard from every lips this was a ‘priceless experience.’

Later in the evening we cooled down to some of our local entertainers who all sang clean lyrics, I got to see MACKA DIAMOND and my daughter photographed with Gee Whiz.

All in all, surprise, depth, darkness, sunlight, water, rocks, crispness, untouched beauty and appreciation are some words that sprang to mind and blend into one to form the most memorable and enjoyable day of Summer 2011.

_____________________________________________________________________________
SUMMER 2013- THE WET RIDE

My second trip to Somerset Summer 2013- I was going on the WET ride armed with camera and the children in tow. I thought i would be prepared for this time but i had forgotten i had taken the DRY RIDE previously and now i was going on the WET RIDE. For a split i felt scared and a little bit out of my brain because now we we directly under the falls and we were loaded off onto huge rocks that sat in the middle of the cake, we were getting wet left right and centre (and i heard the lifeguard said, i warned you not to take your camera) but excitement got the better of me as it always does and i took advantage of the splendor of nature as i stood beneath its cascading body and enjoy its icy fingers.

2  Thank JulettePrayogg
See more reviews
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Jamaica more times than I can actually count and each time I try to experience something/someplace different. This last trip I was able to travel to Portland and ended up at Somerset Falls. First of all let me just say if you love a good road trip, the drive from Ocho Rios to Portland is AMAZING. The views on the ride up were the most beautiful I have seen thus far - and as I said I have been all over Jamaica. When we arrived at Somerset Falls it was just before closing time on Sunday so there wasn't anyone else there. We didn't have to wait in line, parked and walked right in. Our guides led the way to the falls. It was a brief walk and along the way we passed several birds and other animals that were on display. The falls are set in what seems like a tropical paradise. I know it sounds corny but the peace that I felt while walking amongst all that beauty was indescribable. When we reached the falls we were allowed to store our things in a small secure locker. We had our bathing suites on already so we grabbed our mobile phones and the guide wrapped them up in our towels so they wouldn't get wet. I wasn't expecting this because it was a totally different experience from YS Falls and Dunns River. We actually went into a small cave like area of the falls where the guide carefully positioned us so that we each got water massages from the cascading water and the we jumped from a large rock right into falls. We took some pictures and even got a show when one of the guides climbed the fall and did a backflip into the water. After we were done we took the lil boat back to the drop off and walked back down to the pool where we swam for a bit before leaving. It was short but very sweet. Not someplace where you would spend your entire day but definitely a must stop.

1  Thank Squarebzz