“Another stay in Paradise”

Hotel Mocking Bird Hill
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Recently we visited Hotel Mockingbird Hill again and it was another great expierience!
Coming there since more than ten years it is always amazing to see the development.
The owners always do really everything to make our stay more than comfortable, it´s like coming home.
After checkin we got some documents, they answer any question you might have concerning your stay. So we could read anytime to be informed about the ecological terms.
If there are any question, the friendly and professional staff will support you.
Travelling a lot most of the Hotels are either professional or try to be private and nice.
At Mockingbird Hill you find both - professionalism and the house is run with warmth.
So whenever we come to Jamaica we love to stay at this peaceful place, laid back and quiet.
In the last two or three years the owners extended the garden, lots of nice places are waiting to bediscovered, and everytime we walk around there we can find something new.
It´s also great to visit the restaurant, the food is delicious and the romantic setting is always perfect and relaxing.
Trips can be booked at the Hotel as well as massages to make your stay really comfortable.
Whenever you come to Jamaica, don´t miss a stay at Mockingbird Hill, it´s a real teasure!
Gaby and Roman, Germany

Reviewed March 27, 2011

First I would like to thank Shireen, Barbara, Petrona, Fifi, Anne Marie, and the rest of the team at Hotel Mocking Bird Hill for taking such good care of us during our 4 night stay this week. The team at the hotel were warm and welcoming yet professional and not intrusive.

I agree with many if not all of the positive reviews already written so I will try to not be too repetitive but instead highlight the strongest reasons why I would highly recommend a vacation here and the caveats as to who this hotel is and is not good for.

1. Outstanding vistas from the dining room and bar/tea room: We spent a good deal of our time in the common areas of the hotel, the most striking of which are the dining room (main level) and the upstairs where afternoon tea is served and cocktails can be enjoyed. I noticed that one review recommends a better wine selection, however, I thoroughly enjoyed the cocktails, particularly the passion fruit daquiri (with fresh passion fruit juice) and the planter's punch (unexpectedly spiced - delicious!). Back to the point - the view is amazing! I could not believe that every day I was so lucky to wake up and have breakfast with the most gorgeous view with the lush tropical gardens in the foreground and the wide stretching deep blue ocean in the background. I'm certain that being in such a lovely setting improved my health and extended my life. The same (if not better) view from the upper floor was enjoyed every day during afternoon tea and over cocktails. Really we did not need anything more than this to be happy.

2. You will never go hungry (in a good way): The breakfast is above and beyond anything that I expected. Although we had roughly the same breakfast every day, we never grew tired of it. First was the fresh fruit plate, which in our case included local types of fruit that we cannot get at home. Then there was the home made coconut museli (delicious!) with home made yogurt and local honey (milk and jam also available). This was followed by a variety of home made breads and a variety of local cheeses (honey and jam also great with these). And to top it all off, eggs made to order with toast, tomatoes, and super thin and delicious crispy bacon. These are also served with tea, coffee, and fresh juice. We never needed lunch because we were so full from breakfast. On top of that, the dinner is 4 course, with plenty of choices for meat or not (except Mondays, and I do agree with the meatless Monday, after all, it's just one day, and to be fair, most days I was so full I opted for one of the vegetarian options anyway). I would absolutely recommend the meal plan so that you're never worrying about how much individual items cost. Instead you can sit back and enjoy!

3. Many choices for things to do: This comment is more about the region, than the hotel specifically, in that I have no idea why anyone would go to the more commercialized touristy areas instead of Portland. There were many more options for day trips than we could fit into our schedule. On top of that, we were happy to sit around the gardens, and in our sitting area which opened up directly facing the gardens. We opted for one day trip, to Reich (Reach) Falls, which was an excellent choice. For a future trip, we would like to try the bamboo raft trip.

This hotel was truly perfect for what we were looking for. Keep in mind that we are a couple with no kids and I would not advise this location for families with children. Another reason we liked this hotel is that there is no air conditioning. Particularly for this season, the evenings were not too hot so air conditioning was not necessary at all. Instead, we were able to enjoy the fresh air, which I'm sure was better for our health. One warning is that the windows are not screened, so you may find a few bugs make their way into the room. We did not find this to be a problem at all, and in fact my partner, who is Australian, kept commenting on how few bugs there were in comparison to an equivalent climate in Australia. The last piece of advice would be about the roads. Please be prepared that the roads are not perfect, particularly the road leading directly to the hotel, so keep this in mind if you are interested in driving yourself. We found it a bit constraining that we could not walk or drive ourselves anywhere. That said, we had a fine time, with a minimal number of transfers, because we so much enjoyed just being on the property. It was a great escape from our usual hectic life. This hotel has my highest recommendation, as long as you do not fall into one of the categories of travelers who are more likely to be put off (ie. have kids, need a/c, scared of bugs, scared of imperfect roads). I recommend this hotel based largely on the reasons above, but would like to finish by mentioning that I respect and support the business model of the hotel which is making a great effort to use alternative energy and involve the community. I think they are doing great work, thus giving you one more reason to choose this hotel over others.

Reviewed March 18, 2011

My husband and I just returned from this very special place. The owners donated a 3-nights' stay to an international ecotourism auction, and we were the lucky beneficiaries of their generosity. Their commitment to the environment is matched by their commitment to local farmers and artisans, who supply the kitchen with fresh produce and us (via the owners) with small crafted gifts. It is a trick to run an envionmentally-sensitive hotel which also feels luxurious, and Shireen and Barbara have managed it. Our beautifully-furnished room was spacious and opened onto a balcony overlooking the forest canopy to the ocean beyond. (This view was only topped by that 2 floors higher from the rooftop deck, where one can be alone with a spectacular sunset).
The rain forest has been tamed in a few beautiful acres around the hotel, which show off the birds, the flora, terraces of lava rock, and Barbara's graceful sculptures.
The FOOD! Many kudos to the chefs, especially to the bread baker and breakfast chef. A sample breakfast: for me, plentiful shrimp atop creamed callaloo (Jamaican spinach) with poached eggs; for my husband the lightest, fluffiest of souffle-omelets and a basket of homemade breads. (Note: their pastas and ice creams are also made in-house). The service was slow and gracious, which suited us just fine. We didn't come to Jamaica for fast food. Our first night was Monday, a dedicated "no meat/ no fish" night, which showcased the creative cuisine possible when "going green." It was lovely.
I've read the negative reviews and would only say that we were very happy during our stay. We were the only hotel guests at that time, the world economy making an expensive (although "eco") vacation beyond the reach of many people. Despite the economic strain of having to have staff on hand for only 2 guests, the owners were helpful and respectful. We wish them well and hope others can treat themselves to a jewel of a vacation as we did.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

If you insist on quick meals and hot showers, do not stay there. However, if you appreciate delicious meals, lovely scenery, gardens and a very caring staff, this is the place for you. If you love dogs and cats and care about ecology, all the better. This is a warm, friendly place with flowers, pets, wonderful, organic food, art and everything nice.

Elizabeth Muenster, Columbia, PA

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Staying at Hotel Mockingbird Hill is like to be in heaven.
It is like coming home, the staff is very friendly and the owners will help you with everything and are really pampering you.
It is very relaxing staying there and we are coming there already for many, many years and have never problems.
At the new beautiful private terras on top of the hotel gives you a feeling of being in heaven while enjoying a delicious dinner.
Port Antonio is lovely and the nature in Portland around is beautiful.
I think that it is one of the places in the world that is not infected by tourism.
We love to go back as much as possible.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2011

My friend and I just completed our fifth trip to Hotel Mocking Bird and again it has been one of our most exciting experiences. Our gratest moments are usually in the dining room (greedy, greedy,greedy) ...at breakfast with that steaming Blue Mt. Coffee, home-made pastries and jellies and cheerful goodmornings fro the staff and always a special morning cheer form both Barbara and Shireen...fantastic hosts. Dinner is somthing else, they can certainly present "an experience" on crockery....Our wedding will be held there later this summer. The hotel brings both the visitor and the community together, and that enhances the vacation experience.

We read with amazement those negative reviews about credit card abuse....utter rubbish neithe of our many friends that have stayed there have ever had such an experience and I am left to wonder if someone is not just trying to make unnecessary problems...Hotel Mocking Bird...keep up the fantastic work and see you soon......the wedding bells are ringing....

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The two owners are incredibly rude and argumentative (please take a look at all of their lengthy excuse-ridden management responses from other negative reviews). The hotel and restaurant (Mille Fleur) are over priced and in no way, are the owners oriented towards trying to please customers. In fact, they seem to just want to offend people. Furthermore, don't trust them with your credit card - they have a knack of swiping it for false charges (again, please look at the reviews). There are so many great places to stay in Jamaica - don't waste your money and time on the dreadful Hotel Mockingbird Hill.

• Stayed: February 2011
19  Thank lovetotravelalways0
mbhpot, Owner at Hotel Mocking Bird Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Truth be said, if this reviewer were right the authorities would have closed us down and thrown us in jail. No business could survive 18 years using the bad business practices that we are accused of in this report.