“Paradise Found!”

Kanopi House
San Francisco, California
“Paradise Found!”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed at Kanopi House for 3 nights in July and it was truly paradise. This was our first visit to Portland and we loved this side of the island. Kanopi House is just an amazing beautiful place. We stayed in Spanish Elm and it was just incredible. It is one of 6 or 7 Treehouses as they call them. All of the Treehouses are set and tucked away in different spots on the property so each is very private and you have the feeling that the place is all your own. Each is beautifully furnished with handmade furniture and art by local artisans and has such a warm and comfortable feeling. Also each Treehouse has their own balcony or outside living area with comfortable lounge seats. You are surrounded by the most beautiful lush vegetation and the whole property is so well maintained. We did have breakfast each morning and it was very good. You have a choice between a traditional type American or Jamaican meal. One day we did have all 3 meals at Kanopi each being excellent. The location of this property can't be beat as it sits on the Blue Lagoon and is by far the most beautiful spot we have stayed in Jamaica. We used the canoe's that are provided and went out everywhere... San San, Monkey Island, the reef and all around the lagoon. We met a local fisherman and he took us to Winnifred Beach and Dragon's Bay. There is a path you can take through the jungle to Winnifred Beach which is a ways but we did not try that. There really is a lot to do and see in the area. The hostess there can take care of anything you may need or want. If interested she will set up any tours or arrange taxi service for you. One evening she called a taxi to go to Boston Jerk and pick up some chicken for us and bring it back to Kanopi....now that's service! It is a hike up and down the steps to the Lagoon but beauty surrounds and each day we saw something new. The staff goes above and beyond here to make sure your stay is comfortable and your needs are met. We really can't say enough about Kanopi House... it's just a piece of Heaven and just a peaceful and remarkable place to relax and have fun.

Kanopi House is now our #1 spot in Jamaica!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WillowsWay

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I decided at the last minute to tag along with a few friends who'd booked this trip - was definitely one of the best things I've done all year. Seriously special place. The beauty of it really lies in the fact that it doesn't feel like a hotel/resort at all, more like a friend's personal retreat that you happen to be lucky enough to've been invited to for a soul-awakening window into "real" Jamaica (so far from the boring pearly white gated resorts that had always come to mind when thinking of the island in the past...shame on me). Its private blue lagoon is some of the most magical swimming imaginable with a layer of fresh water on top of the sea for a strangely dreamy cooling effect. The food was amazing too - again, why on earth did I always think Jamaica was just Jerk Chicken and goat? Got totally hooked on local specialties like Ackee (sp?) and salt cod, though they'll grill you lobster (or do 100% vegan!) for every meal if that's what you want. Such a fun sweet staff too. The whole experience was an absolute dream. Can't wait to go back. PS Most definitely worth the trek from Kingston too, which was my major hesitatation at first.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I stayed at Kanopi House with a group of friends in May 2009.
Having never travelled to Jamaica, my initial reservations were soon forgotten on arriving at this magical 6 acre retreat set in the lush tropical jungle. From the perfectly built and stylishly designed tree houses that served as our accommodation and the crystal clear blue lagoon where we swam every morning, to the friendly staff and delicious food and fine wines we were served everyday, it was absolute paradise.
Our days were spent either relaxing on one of the many beautiful beaches surrounding Kanopi or being more adventurous, rafting down the Rio Grande and taking in the phenomenally breathtaking scenery.
Whilst we didn’t manage to get a deal, at $5,000 per night for 10 we thought this represented very good value, especially as it included incredible food and fine wines.
I would definitely recommend Kanopi House for those looking for an unforgettable holiday.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I can only assume the reason I am the first Guest to review Kanopi House is because every other Guest wanted to keep the place a secret! I found out about Kanopi through a friend, having read a couple of stories tipping Port Antonio as the next big thing. Fears about Jamaica aside, I headed there with said friend to celebrate my 30th birthday: WOW!

We were met at the airport by Mickey, our laid back Rasta driver & headed straight to Port Antonio. (The new coast road meant we were there in a couple of easy hours). Another warm welcome awaited us when we got there, from Carla the House Manager – this dread-locked lady from Belgium has lived in Jamaica for over 15 years and made us feel immediately at home and showed us round.

Arriving at Kanopi at night was an experience in itself: catching first glimpse of our warmly lit tree-house as we turned a corner in the pathway, with fire-flies darting around over head was magical. We stayed in ‘Sweet Wood’ – an amazing one bedroom villa with separate lounge, kitchen area and an outside shower – check out the picture. A covered verandah ran the entire length of the villa, with chairs to relax and soak up the atmosphere.

When we woke on the first morning, I could barely believe the size and scale of the trees! It was like a scene from Tarzan. We wandered up and down the path (great exercise) and found ourselves on the shores of the Blue Lagoon – then immediately ran back to get our swimming gear on. All I can tell you is that it was breath-taking – the water is so pure, a mix of freshwater from about 14 different springs and the sea.

We then went to the Living Room – the communal chill-out / eating area. This is where we first met Carla. At night, this is a very cool lounging area, but by day-light, I could not believe the incredible view – looking down over the sea, Monkey Island and Alligator head – all invisible at night. It was difficult to eat breakfast with my mouth open for most of the time!

(re the food – hearty Jamaican breakfasts; an amazing Pumpkin soup and the most delicately curried chicken were my favourites. Rice & Peas, salt-fish fritters, Jerk Chicken & salads made using produce grown on the property all added up to a Jamaican cuisine experience as authentic as the place itself).

The rest of staff were all equally welcoming – Kanopi has a very laid back, very cool vibe and from Day 1 we were running on island time. The Owners are Jamaican and it really felt like we were experiencing an ‘insiders’ view of Jamaica. Each day, at breakfast, we made a plan with Carla for that day and then she took care of the arrangements: we visited several beautiful beaches, kayaked to Monkey Island and then, my favourite trip, went rafting down the Rio Grande river – what an afternoon.

We came back by boat from Winnifred beach and I could not believe how well hidden Kanopi is – only the living room is visible from the sea – all 4 tree-houses are totally hidden in the canopy. Not surprising I suppose when we found out that no trees had been felled in the construction of the resort.

We also found out that we were lucky to get a room – Kanopi has only recently opened its doors to the public and during the ‘soft opening’ phase is letting tree-houses individually. When the property is officially open, it will be available only for complete rentals to groups of around 10 people except for certain weeks each month, when the tree-houses will be available separately.

I was promised ‘a different Jamaica’ and Kanopi is exactly that. I would say to anyone, forget anything negative you have heard about Jamaica and go off the beaten track to Kanopi. I will never forget where I spent my 30th and am currently getting a group of my friends together to go back & rent out the entire property. Jamaica has a new, and unexpected, fan. In Kanopi, it also has a new gem of place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,239 reviews
Tropical Lagoon Resort
Tropical Lagoon Resort
#8 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Kanopi House? Share your experiences!