“Honeymoon paradise”
Review of Kanopi House

Kanopi House
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Thanks so much to Karla, Boxer and the team, we had the most amazing experience at Kanopi House.
I've never been made to feel more at home or relaxed and after spending four days here, we moved on to a considerably more expensive 'luxory' hotel for our last three days. After the first evening there, we both longed for Kanopi House and even went back for dinner on our last night.
Beautiful setting with incredible people, can't think of anything more anyone could need on a holiday of this type.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marcpriestley

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My wife and I spent our anniversary at Kanopi under the wonderful care of Carla, Boxer and Black Pearl. We still talk often of the staff, years later, which is incredible compared to any other hotel or resort. The rooms are actually beautifully built individual homes, perched high on stilts on the very steep jungle hillside - immediately adjacent to the Blue Lagoon. The walls themselves are shutters and you can easily open the entire home to the outdoors. It's a wonderful feeling. There is also complete privacy, along with books, wifi, a sound system and a private kitchen and bath in each home. The high ceilings are exposed and have ceiling fans. The first night we had fireflies floating high above the massive wooden bed which looked like stars. It's very reminiscent of a luxury jungle cabin Indiana Jones might have stayed in on one of his adventures. Boats, kayaks, snorkels, and more are available to enjoy. We were lucky enough to have the entire resort to ourselves in June, which on our anniversary was a real treat. The access to the beauty of the surrounding jungle, beach and islands is incomparable, and makes this a first-class resort. We were also shuttled to and from the Kingston airport by a fun and knowledgeable driver. We are looking forward to returning and visiting Kanopi again.

Room Tip: Stay within Kanopi and let the staff take care of your needs. The surrounding town is nice, but enve...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We couldn't have chosen a more wonderful place for our first trip to Jamaica. We stayed for 5 nights with our 2 sons, ages 12 and 15. Our room -- Sweetwood -- was beautiful with a large living room perfect for relaxing with a book plus 2 nicely sized bedrooms on the lower level. Furnishings were just right -- lovely day beds with white linen covers, ceiling fans, fresh flowers. Room was stocked with spring water and Blue Mountain coffee.

Location is in the jungle on a hillside above the Blue Lagoon. The boys really enjoyed kayaking around the lagoon and jumping into the water from a tree as well as kayaking over to Monkey Island to snorkel. Boxer (resident security staff) took us by boat to a couple of local beaches where we ate jerk chicken and fresh coconut. Also enjoyed surfing lessons at Boston beach.

The Kanopi staff are extraordinary. Carla is a very special person who I don't think we'll ever forget. Hanging out after breakfast and talking with her was a big part of the experience. The food was delicious -- fresh and local -- and our boys even raved about Carla's vegetables which was very unlike them. Carla was so sweet with the boys and even arranged for them to meet her own boys as well as giving them Jamaican bracelets as a going away gift. She also gave us good tips for local restaurants and excursions.

The drive from Kingston is along a curvy and not well-maintained road. It was nice to have a car but you need to be a very good driver to manage those roads. We noticed that most of the other guests relied on taxis.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marianbf
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Carla, Black Pearl & Boxer all contributed to an excellent & personalized stay. We had advanced reservation for 4 nights & drove along the rough coast in a small SUV. Almond Tree had expansive views into the lush jungle, small kitchenette & was comfortably sized. The grounds have a paths through the jungle; small rocky beach; adjacent sandy beach; gazeebo overlooking water; & canoes to access the lovely Monkey Island (private, small, snorkeling). We slept with the terrace open every night & enjoyed the sounds of the birds, frogs & creatures. The rain was also beautiful & came in sessions & never lasted more than half a day. Best food we had our entire stay, much better than the more expensive restaurant at Trident (more upscale, modern, sterile resort-like). Carla & Black Pearl are very skilled in the kitchen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gilalex44
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We recently stayed here for 1 night while visiting from out of town. We had read about the hotel in our guidebook and had borrowed a car from a friend, so we drove to the property to enquire about rooms available. You drive up this very long and rocky dirt road, not a problem if you have a decent car. There is a front guest area that has a beautiful view of the water amidst the jungle and trees, free coffee and tea, and some magazines, though very small.

The red flag arose when the reception woman came to greet us and looked us up and down and said "well, do you know about our prices?" I said that I had the Rough Guide, and had an idea of what rooms cost, but how much exactly? I had read that there were 'backpacker' rates (not true) that were less expensive. She then said "well how much is less expensive to you?", and gave us this sarcastic smile. I was pretty taken aback (let's put aside that my husband and I are both doctors in the US, no need to mention that the cost will probably not be an issue). Again, I asked how much rooms are and we can decide. She finally said that there was one room for 300 dollars, and when we expressed interest in seeing it, she brightened up and her entire demeanor changed. I felt like I was in Pretty Woman, being judged for not being able to afford a room.

We ended up taking this very beautiful, wooden room up on stilts that looks out into the jungle. The room had a small kitchen, shower, and wood all around. It is quite beautiful and looks out onto the jungle, making you feel like you're in a real treehouse. Pretty cool.

The problem was, it started to rain. And rain it did. In our kitchen, our bathroom, and in multiple areas on the floor. It was like a sieve, leaking in about 6 different places. We placed bowls under each leak. The only place that was spared was the bed. We let her know and she shrugged and kept laughing it off, telling us that "it depends on the slant of the rain", "it never leaks usually", "good thing it's not leaking on the bed", and "sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't". Ha ha ha... No mention at all of switching rooms, giving a discount, etc. We sucked it up and slept in this swiss cheese of a treehouse, enjoying the view and the sounds but walking on water everywhere. I couldn't believe the room cost as much as it did. The only reason I didn't demand a refund was because my husband really loved the place and I didn't really feel like making a big fuss, and I knew that she would be totally resistant to this. I regret it, since we really should not have paid full price for this bungalow.

The other thing I thought was strange for a supposedly high-end place is that you feel totally abandoned after you check in. There is one person (see above) who manages the whole place, and she is sporadically around and available, so we would often look for someone and spend 30 minutes wandering around trying to find someone to help us with something. There is a sweet Jamaican guy named Baxter (Buxton?) who will show you around, but he doesn't handle any logistics, such as meals, prices, or enquiries about rafting, etc. This is all left up to the one and only Karla. I might have expected that someone show us the room (we were handed a key and told to go find the room ourselves after we handed over cash), tell us how things work, etc. Nothing. Also for a high-end place I would have thought there'd be some niceties that usually come with a B and B, a jug of water in the evening, an evening cocktail hour, etc. It was more like camping for a high price.

Overall disappointing. Not sure I'd stay here again but it was a gorgeous location and if it hadn't rained, I might not have felt so waterlogged. I wasn't very pleased with Karla's attitude and approach to guests and found her actually kind of annoying, trying very hard to make a small deal out of what was actually a big deal (a room that leaked water all night long is kind of unacceptable to me). There are better places I'd give my money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sacdoc32999
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I treated ourself to 3 nights stay here in February and it was perfect! We really didnt want to leave! We booked to stay in Upper Deck but due to a broken fridge we were fortunate enough to get upgraded to Almond Tree, it was absolutely beautiful!

Carla is a star and an amazing cook! we really enjoyed getting to know her and her warmth and laidback attitude is infectious! It was also a pleasure to meet Boxer, a real gent. Carla also made my boyfriend a scrummy cake on his birthday which was a lovely surprise and when we got engaged (on the balcony of Almond Tree) she celebrated with us!

While we were there we went on a rafting trip along the Rio Grande. This was our favourite day of our whole trip. The most beautiful experience. we drove to port antonio and got a taxi to the rafting centre where we got one of the official rafts, with a wonderful captain, Arly. we stopped off for chicken, rice and peas half way and floated about in the river for a while.

We also used one of the kanopi house kayaks to sail over to monkey island where we had a lovely afternoon lazing in the sun.

Advice: When we arrived we had been on the road for 4 hours from Mandeville and were starving, the 'hamper' only contains a few cookies, crackers and couple of bottles of juice, so I would advise if you're planning to retreat here for a few days that you pick up some supplies enroute because you dont want to be coming and going along the steep entrance track too often! incidently, we were able to manage the access track ok with our toyota yaris hire car.

If you want to drink with your dinner, you should probably take along your own booze as there didnt seem to be much of a bar.

I would highly recommend staying in this beautiful spot and I really hope that one day we will be fortunate enough to return.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, treat yourself to Almond Tree!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We spent a long time selecting the perfect place for a dream getaway and this hidden Oasis in the Jungle provided it all. It is built for couples. Romantic, serene, secluded, and stunningly beautiful. We stayed in the Upper Deck but got a sneak peak at Spanish Elm and will choose it on our next trip. The upper deck was perfect for us however. It is an intimate setting beautifully furnished in wood which gave us the feeling of having nature on the inside as well as the out. We choose room only because we wanted to get out and have the jamaican food we love so much. Lots of places were recommended but we ate where the locals did and had amazing meals. We went to Boston Beach, about 5 to 10 minutes drive from Kanopi (its a must) but we also took a dip in the lagoon just steps below the treehouse.
Kanopi is primarily for couples who want to get lost in each other and nature. Simply one of the most Sensual spaces I have ever encountered.

Room Tip: Upper Deck is everything you need. fans, air conditioned, kitchenette.. and beautiful bath. After h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamaica Inn
Jamaica Inn
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel

Been to Kanopi House? Share your experiences!