“Not Just for Burgers, But They're Great Too”

Woody's Low Bridge Place
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Port Antonio
Cuisines: Jamaican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Not Just for Burgers, But They're Great Too”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We made it to Woody's twice during a weeklong stay in Portland parish. Our first night was a drop-in for burgers and Cheri did not disappoint. We each had a traditional burger but on the strength of the reviews from this site, we ordered a "full house" veggie burger to split. It had to be one of the best we've ever had, and that's saying a lot from a certified carnivore like me. The fries were delish, too.

Knowing Cheri cooked to order with advance notice, we called a couple days later and arranged a meal for that evening. We arrived to a nicely set table in the dining area and my wife's heart just melted, it was set with such care. Our extraordinary dinner consisted of Creamy Vegetable soup, Curried Chicken, Rice and Pumpkin, Sweet Potatoes, and to top it all off, a desert of ice cream and Coconut Rum cake. Delicious and so much food, we couldn't eat it all.

Cheri and Woody are loving hosts who clearly care about putting their all into each and every "customer". I put that word in quotes since I felt more like family than a visitor to a restaurant.

Do yourself a wonderful favor and add Woody's to your Jamaica plans, even if you have to travel a great distance to get there. I assure you it's worth the visit.

• Visited December 2013

Taos, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“home cooked jamaican”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Woody and Cherry are a marvelous couple! Great conversationalists, very warm-hearted. Their cafe is famous for burgers but Cherry is also a fine specialty chef. She cooked one of her advertised traditional Jamaican meals and a rum cake for my birthday party, a time-consuming and very well prepared dinner with market-fresh ingredients. Woody cranked up some reggae from his own backroom studio, and he sang a tune for me. A unique experience! I'll certainly return on my next visit.

• Visited November 2013
Kingston, Jamaica
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Woody's - Worth the Drive”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Everything about Woody's was fantastic. First off, my friends and I were met by a huge smile and friendly personality, the food we ordered was freshly done and took under 20 mins to prepare, and the quality of the food was not only excellent, but the prices were affordable. Specifically, I had a plantain-burger with lots of garnishes (called a "fullhouse"). Need I say, we all went back for seconds. I'll most definitely be visiting Woody's whenever I'm near Portland again. It's top notch all round. I'm very impressed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Najuma
Aalsmeer
“I ate at Woody's”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We loved coming to Woody's. The hamburgers are great and the best for miles around. The service is personal and fantastic.
But if you like to eat an real Jamaican mail, this is the place to be! You must order in advance (before 12:00 or for the next day), but this ensures you for the most freshest ingredient, directly bought on the market or from the fishermen for you. You can discuss the meal you like.
Your Jamaican mail includes all 3 courses and even some side dishes. All tasted wonderful. We had candle lights an even a small concert of Woody himself.
Don’t expect a place with fancy table linen but just a lovely Jamaican restaurant and a great service. We can’t image you will be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
San Francisco, California
“That veggie burger...”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

... really is the best I ever had. Calaloo and peppers and plantains and tomatoes and cheese.. sigh. The house made fruit punch and ginger beer were really good as well. Check out the posters on the wall for a good laugh.

• Visited August 2013