“Not Your Average Beach Bar”

Wi Yard Anna Banana
Ranked #35 of 44 Restaurants in Port Antonio
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Anna Banana is actually a step up from your typical beach bar. There is an air of gentility with the wait staff. I had the curried vegetables, which were excellent. My dining partner ordered Shrimp Fried Rice and it was amazing! This was for lunch. We returned another evening for dinner (Friday) and had another fine meal. Later on we were blown away by the fantastic live reggae. Whoa. Will go back.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our party of 5 chose to have dinner out on the beach. The moon was full and the waves were gently crashing on the beach while we dined. The view overlooking Port Antonio is most beautiful. All of our dishes were very enjoyable and the prices are fair. This was our second visit to this restaurant.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It's a nice smart place, well appointed in the style of a beach restaurant. Our table was out front in the sand, near the stage.

The steak was off the menu to the disappointment of one of our party. While we waited for our dinner we were treated to fairly naff recorded music including Chris de Burgh & Rod Stewart ballads. In a Jamaican restaurant that's trying to be cool I'd expect a little better...

Overall, the food was good - my crayfish in coconut sauce was excellent. The fries ordered by one of our party didn't come, and we had to ask twice for the bill - otherwise service was fine.

Halfway thru our main course the house band came on - a three-piece with no singer (see pic) playing covers of the same sort of tunes that we'd heard on the audio system beforehand. Sorry lads, but it was pretty dire. Technically it was fine, they could play - but the syrupy elevator music ruined it for me, and I couldn't wait to get away.

One final note -the staff we chatted with as we paid the bill were charming.

I'd go back but only on the band's night off.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Horrible service.

We went here our first night in Port Antonio. The receptionist Latoya was very friendly but the waiter, a young man name Adrian, was deliberately unpleasant. He apparently felt I had spoken sharply to him, which I did because he did not tell us the restaurant did not have most of the menu items on hand until after reading the menu for 10 minutes!

We sat there for 10 minutes deciding between foods they did not have! So when I tried to order lamb, he finally told me they had nothing from the central part of the menu. I was shocked and I did speak harshly to him.

In retaliation, he brought our food out at a glacial pace, made sure everything was cold, kept critical utensils such as spoons for soup off the table and decided not to bring our side dishes at all. He smirked the whole time, like he was enjoying his revenge. The next day, he saw us walk by and smirked again.

The restaurant is right on the water, had a Reggae band, nice tables with candles, etc-- a perfect atmosphere. The food was lousy but the service we received was so hostile that it ruined our evening. There was no manager present to complain to.

My worst experience in recent memory.

1  Thank Dana K
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Very good food. We strongly recommend fish cooked in run down coconut source. We also reccomend to call the day before for crayfish in rundown coconut souce. Super delicious! And ask for Chevelle as waitress, she is super friendly and nice.