“The Ultimate Retreat!!!”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
manchester
“The Ultimate Retreat!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

I have stayed at many hotels worldwide mostly within the Caribbean and would like say that this property was out of this world. We stayed in Drum and Bass and it did not disappoint. The fresh white walled contemporary feel with state of the art electronic equipment made for a very comfortable feel. The way the doors folded back allowing the outside in was exceptional (no need for the airconditioning to be on, we had the ultimate fresh air). The bush bar had a relaxed feel to it with the most amazing views. The barman, the driver and the security guard were ever so accomodating (they actually enhanced the experience with their fabulous service). The personalised chauffeur service was a lovely touch. This allowed us to explore the area and feel the real local vibe. From tasting the Jerk chicken at Boston to swimming in the clear waters at Winifreds Beach and much more. The only bad element about the entire stay was that I had to leave. As the Jamaicans say SOON COME!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladyz27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed here with our 25 month old son for 5 nights.
- a beautiful, lush, tropical setting
- we loved the privacy of our room - Mento - nestled in the trees with a lovely sea view
- such lovely staff who were so helpful: Hubert at the bushbar, Ayollah(Sp? - sorry!) at guest services, Bentley who happily chauffered us around everywhere and waited so patiently, Owen who picked us up from Kingston and ensured we had a very smooth transfer, which took exactly 2.5 hours! and lovely Rose who looked after our son for four of the afternoons and fed him her own home made food as he refused to eat anything for a couple of days!
- we really appreciated the chauffeur service, particularly with our son because if we had had to rely on local cabs then we would have either had to accept travelling with no car-seat (which I really wouldn't feel safe with on Jamaican roads, even for short distances) or having to carry a car-seat around with us to the beach etc - not very practical!
- the Japanese food was fantastic but the other menu was very disappointing: eg US$40 for very ordinary fish and chips! It wasn't even so much the prices that shocked us as we expected prices to be in this range but the food just didn't measure up. It was decidedly ordinary but as I was pregnant a lot of the Japanese menu was off-limits for me.
- the breakfast was also hit and miss and as we were still on London time for the first few days we were up very early but couldn't order until about 7.30 and then it would take at least 45min - 1 hr for the food to arrive....maybe there could be some sort of continental option that could be ready for delivery at 7.30 for jet-lagged travellers...?
- also slightly disappointing was the size of the room. It is actually such a child friendly place that it is a shame that the rooms aren't just a little bigger so that people who have just one child, like us, don't need to rent Sanwood to have a bit of room. At the time of booking we were told we couldn't stay in Drum and Bass because of safety issues for our son but maybe whatever these are, they should be resolved as it would have been good to have a bit more room.
- a great place to stay but if you don't want to eat Japanese, eat out!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank splash2009
Jahmekyah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

Geejam has got to be the "coolest" place in Jamaica, if not on earth. I scheduled my reservation while visiting Jamaica and was looking for somewhere to stay in Portland. The staff was very helpful in calling during my drive to make sure that I was not lost. I especially liked that when I showed up I was met at the parking lot and given a cellphone and my room key and did not have to deal with standing in a line or waiting area to check in. The Bush Bar is really nice to just chill out. You are never sure who will show up. I like that you can see Jon Baker, the owner on the property and he is extremely friendly. You can tell that he loves his staff and the guest that stay at his place. The rooms are the among the best I have ever seen or stayed. The rooms are all white and adorned with Apple products and a whole lot of mood lighting. Love the gift bag and the bathroom with the steam shower and the view of the beach. This place has a very exotic landscape. I really, really love the personal level of service. Geejam is just a very sophisticated, but very casual places. It is truly a "private hotel" Definately worth the price!

• Liked — Everthing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jahmekyah
bhansen08
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

had a bit of a snafu in arrival but Rose Marie was amazing fixing things in a jiffy! Our flight down to Gee Jam was spectacular, the views breath taking. Owen, our driver took extra special care of us(throughout our stay/use no one else). We were greated warmly, wisked off to our jungle hide-a-way then left there to relax in paradise. The nights were peaceful with a bit of good Jamacian rum to spice things up mixed by the funnist and engaging bartender ever Tim (a jewel at the Jam). Lee the security man took great care in making our stay memorable. He taught us about the local vegitation. The beaches were sublime-the best Jamacia has to offer. The Boston Jerk has no equal! Overall the GeeJam resort should never be overlooked nor ignored but a must when wanting to escape to paradise.

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank bhansen08
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

We just got back from a short honeymoon at Gee Jam and it was truly a once in a lifetime experience. The property is absolutely wonderful, the service is so incredibly personal (we felt like we were the only ones there) and the food is...wow...I lived in Tokyo for a year and I dont know if my perception was skewed from being so happy with everything else but I think it was the best sushi I have ever tasted!

As a Jamaican, I was particularly pleased with Gee Jam. It had all of the natural unique beauty of Jamaica with a modern spin ... none of the super touristy IRIE MON facade that you find at some of our other resorts.

I cannot stop talking to everyone I see about the place, the service, the food, the rooms, the views, the...everything. Nothing is over the top, Everything is just right. Beautiful.

If you are looking for a spring break party hard, all you can eat experience...this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a peaceful getaway where you can reconnect with yourself, with loved one(s) and with the natural beauty and uniqueness of this wonderful island...Gee Jam is the only place to go!

• Liked — Everything - views, service, food
  • Disliked — Nothing - I loved everything, I wish I had enough money to live there :)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

I arrived at Kingston airport and was greeted immediately by a sweet guy wearing a super hip Geejam shirt, then to be whisked off in the geejam plane to Port Antonio. When we arrived at Geejam we were greeted by owner Jon Baker, who was like meeting a family member..making this trip truly memorable..the food, the staff and
the surrounding areas were exquisite and I could not recommend this enough..Frenchman's cove beach is heavenly..I was also taken to the local market where I picked up pure coconut oil sold in an old gin bottle which is the best moisturizer - an old jamaican remedy for keeping skin super soft. Now ready to book my return trip back there!!!!!

Stayed December 2008
burlington, vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2008

This is by far the most expensive hotel I have ever stayed in, and I likely won't be going on another holiday like this for some time. As this was a honeymoon splurge, we were VERY disappointed when no one was waiting for us at the Kingston airport to pick us up as previously arranged. And once we finally arranged travel ourselves, no one was apologetic at all for the inconvenience.
Another disappointment came when the much hyped and promised complimentary "stretch" session was postponed and postponed and finally just didn't happen without any explanations or apologies. Thirdly, the Japenese menu should not be offered when the Japanese chef is not there. The sushi was inedible and overpriced in his absence.

On the plus side, it was a very romantic and beautiful setting. Very clean. Very nice staff, once we stopped expecting big aplogies for leaving us stranded at the airport. Frenchman's Cove was so beautiful.

On the plus side

• Liked — the beaches and the pina coladas
  • Disliked — being stranded at the airport on our arrival
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank poweranimalrosa
Summer876, Owner at Geejam, responded to this review, January 5, 2009
As this couple stayed with us over 6 months ago, we needed time to ascertain exactly what happened, and hence our slight delay in posting a response.

We discovered there was a miscommunication between the agent that booked the couple's holiday, and our logistics team.

To add further problems, our front of house staff were totally unaware that the couple had to make their own way to Geejam, and were not informed of this by the guests, so for that reason, apologies were not forthcoming at the time.

I am pleased to say this is the one and only time this has happened since we opened. We have now been in direct contact with the couple, to sincerely apologize, and have made amends to them.

Like many new hotels, we've had our share of teething problems (we had only been open six weeks at the time of the incident), but on the whole the majority of our guests seem to be enjoying a unique and flawless experience - this, and a review from a couple
from Boston in August, who we've also been in touch with, being the only two, with
negative connotations attached to them.

As I mentioned in my response to that review, I am available 24/7, and want to hear directly from our guests if there's anything that's less than 100% satisfactory, so that we can deal with it accordingly, and ensure it will not happen to another guest in the future.

1love

The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!