“Gettin Jiggy at GeeJam”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
bhansen08
“Gettin Jiggy at GeeJam”
Reviewed January 25, 2009

had a bit of a snafu in arrival but Rose Marie was amazing fixing things in a jiffy! Our flight down to Gee Jam was spectacular, the views breath taking. Owen, our driver took extra special care of us(throughout our stay/use no one else). We were greated warmly, wisked off to our jungle hide-a-way then left there to relax in paradise. The nights were peaceful with a bit of good Jamacian rum to spice things up mixed by the funnist and engaging bartender ever Tim (a jewel at the Jam). Lee the security man took great care in making our stay memorable. He taught us about the local vegitation. The beaches were sublime-the best Jamacia has to offer. The Boston Jerk has no equal! Overall the GeeJam resort should never be overlooked nor ignored but a must when wanting to escape to paradise.

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank bhansen08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed January 22, 2009

We just got back from a short honeymoon at Gee Jam and it was truly a once in a lifetime experience. The property is absolutely wonderful, the service is so incredibly personal (we felt like we were the only ones there) and the food is...wow...I lived in Tokyo for a year and I dont know if my perception was skewed from being so happy with everything else but I think it was the best sushi I have ever tasted!

As a Jamaican, I was particularly pleased with Gee Jam. It had all of the natural unique beauty of Jamaica with a modern spin ... none of the super touristy IRIE MON facade that you find at some of our other resorts.

I cannot stop talking to everyone I see about the place, the service, the food, the rooms, the views, the...everything. Nothing is over the top, Everything is just right. Beautiful.

If you are looking for a spring break party hard, all you can eat experience...this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a peaceful getaway where you can reconnect with yourself, with loved one(s) and with the natural beauty and uniqueness of this wonderful island...Gee Jam is the only place to go!

• Liked — Everything - views, service, food
  • Disliked — Nothing - I loved everything, I wish I had enough money to live there :)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I arrived at Kingston airport and was greeted immediately by a sweet guy wearing a super hip Geejam shirt, then to be whisked off in the geejam plane to Port Antonio. When we arrived at Geejam we were greeted by owner Jon Baker, who was like meeting a family member..making this trip truly memorable..the food, the staff and
the surrounding areas were exquisite and I could not recommend this enough..Frenchman's cove beach is heavenly..I was also taken to the local market where I picked up pure coconut oil sold in an old gin bottle which is the best moisturizer - an old jamaican remedy for keeping skin super soft. Now ready to book my return trip back there!!!!!

Stayed December 2008
burlington, vermont
Reviewed December 23, 2008

This is by far the most expensive hotel I have ever stayed in, and I likely won't be going on another holiday like this for some time. As this was a honeymoon splurge, we were VERY disappointed when no one was waiting for us at the Kingston airport to pick us up as previously arranged. And once we finally arranged travel ourselves, no one was apologetic at all for the inconvenience.
Another disappointment came when the much hyped and promised complimentary "stretch" session was postponed and postponed and finally just didn't happen without any explanations or apologies. Thirdly, the Japenese menu should not be offered when the Japanese chef is not there. The sushi was inedible and overpriced in his absence.

On the plus side, it was a very romantic and beautiful setting. Very clean. Very nice staff, once we stopped expecting big aplogies for leaving us stranded at the airport. Frenchman's Cove was so beautiful.

On the plus side

• Liked — the beaches and the pina coladas
  • Disliked — being stranded at the airport on our arrival
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
10 Thank poweranimalrosa
Summer876, Owner at Geejam, responded to this review, January 5, 2009
As this couple stayed with us over 6 months ago, we needed time to ascertain exactly what happened, and hence our slight delay in posting a response.

We discovered there was a miscommunication between the agent that booked the couple's holiday, and our logistics team.

To add further problems, our front of house staff were totally unaware that the couple had to make their own way to Geejam, and were not informed of this by the guests, so for that reason, apologies were not forthcoming at the time.

I am pleased to say this is the one and only time this has happened since we opened. We have now been in direct contact with the couple, to sincerely apologize, and have made amends to them.

Like many new hotels, we've had our share of teething problems (we had only been open six weeks at the time of the incident), but on the whole the majority of our guests seem to be enjoying a unique and flawless experience - this, and a review from a couple
from Boston in August, who we've also been in touch with, being the only two, with
negative connotations attached to them.

As I mentioned in my response to that review, I am available 24/7, and want to hear directly from our guests if there's anything that's less than 100% satisfactory, so that we can deal with it accordingly, and ensure it will not happen to another guest in the future.

1love

Jon Baker
General Manager/Co-owner

1 876 371 0957
US
Reviewed December 18, 2008

After flying into Norman Manley International Airport, Geejam’s private pilot will whisk you off for the quick 20 minute flight to Port Antonio. Once you arrive at the private airstrip, a Geejam chauffeur will be waiting to take you on the 45 minute drive to the all-villa hotel, passing through traditional villages and winding mangrove forests.

Upon your arrival at Geejam, the gates open and you will enter a world reminiscent of pages from a Rudyard Kipling novel – lush, jungle-like features with mango and coconut plants and twisted powerful trees that create a canopy for the flora, fauna and wildlife to flourish. Punctuated by winding walkways overlooking the sparkling Caribbean Sea, you happen upon each of the five villas (4 one-bedroom and 1 three-bedroom with a private pool), set beautifully into various corners of the property. Each is outfitted with all the creature comforts like Apple TV, iPod docking stations and WiFi, and you will be able to dine at the Bushbar restaurant, offering traditional Jamaican fare and innovative pan-Asian cuisine.

I stayed in Mento, The most secluded of all the villas, Mento is very well integrated into the lush surroundings. With its sprawling terrace peering through the vegetation to the Caribbean Sea and its private hammock located down a short pathway amongst the trees, Mento was the perfect choice for someone looking to relax from it all. With only 14 guests at any given time, you can definitely see why this is an “insider escape” and has been favoured by the Hollywood, musical and fashion elite such as Sharon Stone, Grace Jones and No Doubt.

Port Antonio is ripe with some of the most diverse stretches of sand to choose from and I would recommend doing a different one every day. The fantastic, attentive Geejam staff is only a phone call away from the cell phone they provide you with during your stay, and they will take you (without any additional cost) to any beach of your choice – and they are always ready with suggestions.

Try Winnifred Beach - the “local’s” beach - where you can find Jamaican families cooking up traditional lunches in-between dips in the clear blue waters. Frenchman’s Cove, my favourite beach and named by Condé Nast Traveler as one of the “prettiest beach in the world” is characterised by the winding freshwater river that eventually meets up with the warm ocean waters rushing in – a refreshing mix on a hot day!

Or try Monkey Island - Geejam’s private boat will take you there. Though you won’t find any monkeys here, this island just off the coast (which was devoid of any other visitors when I went) makes for the ultimate in relaxation and is surrounded by stunning reefs and marine life, perfect for snorkelling. There are so many activities to partake in, and I would most recommend taking a day to sail the stunning Rio Grande River on a traditional bamboo raft complemented by a home-cooked on-site river lunch. Ask the punter to take you to Scatter Falls and he will dock the boat and lead you through the lush coffee fields to these beautiful secluded waterfalls that he will help you climb.

Whether you make this holiday an adventurous one with treks up the Blue Mountains and deep-sea fishing, or whether you choose to simply unwind and relax in the comfort of your villa’s private terrace or on the beach, Geejam, and Port Antonio, is the perfect escape.

• Liked — All private villas, large terraces, hammocks, all new technology (Apple TVs, iPod docks), well air conditioned
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank yellowood
newyork
Reviewed December 16, 2008

We have travelled widely, have been to Jamaica and stayed at the best around the world, the Amans and whatnots, but this is truly one of the best non-hotel hotel experience, mostly because of the kindness and professionalism of the team that the owner Mr. Baker has put together makes you feel right at home. This place and the ever-present joyous reggae along with its natural beauty redeems much of the negatives of the sad island unfotuntately riddled by poverty crime and potholes!

The property is impeccable and very private without being snobbish or stuffy. The rooms are not big, but very comfortable and thoughtfully laid out as well as provisioned. The fixtures are first rate and you can see the vision and concern for quality the owner has put in to the property. We were given a cell phone to use which included the owner's no. to call anytime for anything. This is the real "W" wherever whenever we thought to ourselves.The wi-fi reception in the room was excellent, and there is all the conveniences of ipods/plasma TV whether you cared for it or not. The steam bath was a nice feature. The bed was very comfy. Everyone (down to housekeeper, groundskeeper) makes it a point to ask how you are doing and tries to please. If you need to go anywhere (and we did go all over, to town, to the beaches etc), there is a car chauffeur to take you there and back, and all is included. Dirty laundry was quietly taken away each day and returned clean the next. Although not expensive, but the generosity of the place (free phone minutes, free transfers, free bottle of wine at first dinner, free laundry, free local chauffering, and no nickle and diming with $5 bottled waters etc reflects the big heart of that is Geejam)

Entertainment (the bar and pool table) was low key and breakfasts were sumptuous and made to order. Food was very good. We preferred the Jamaican dishes which was delicious with home-catched and smoked marlin but we thought the Japanese fusion dishes were not as much as a standout as would be expected or as the prices would suggest. The (Japanese) tasting menu ($70) included miso soup and a usual tempura, + california rolls etc not what one would normally expect from a tasting menu. But to put it into perspective, finding quality Japanese food in Jamaica is not easy and we are form New York/Tokyo, so ours is a biased view. Another thing of note is the relatively high prices on the food and bar menu (a lobster pasta was listed for $50) but this is comparable to other high end places on the island and nearby. We happen to love Jamaican food but the quality of restaurant food on the island and in the neighborhood of Geejam is not world-class. ( My 2 cents worth: If you come to Jamaica to eat, its best to stick with jerk and otherwise eat in hotel restaurants and the like, esp. near Port Antonio, for rather bland and pricy tourist food, unfortunately)

The surroundings: the beaches nearby are glorious and very private and we had lovely lazy totally private days despite not doing any of the rafting or other trips on offer. The bone rattling and long (3h) ride to and from the airport should be mentioned, but is still worth it given how lovely the property and the staff is. Special mention must again do to Jon, the manager-owner, who really goes overboard to take personal care of the guests. We will mention this incident: we were on our way to the airport to return to New York but hit a traffic jam because of a fallen tree. Our driver called Jon and Jon called our airline (all this without our requesting so) to check in ahead of time for us. We were also miraculously upgraded to first class thanks to Jon or to good karma or lucky fortune or whatever, but he called us again to reassure us that we will make our flight and all this kind loving care makes you feel like you are staying at your best friend's house and not a hotel. Geejam sets the standard of care in the hospitality industry! The kind of personal touch (and there are many other small examples down to the authentic ginger ale the bar manager made specially for us will stay forever along with memories of the island and Geejam.

Thanks Geejam!

• Liked — Service, surroundings, privacy
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soledancer
New York
Reviewed December 9, 2008

- I can't tell you how much research my wife and I did before deciding on a location fro our 3rd anniversary. When we whittled down our choices to Jamaica our first thought was Negril, we'd been there 3 times and love it. While researching a new place to stay in Negril I came across the Cave and was directed to the island Outpost website, the home of Geejam and several other island Outpost resorts. While checking out the caves, I decided to check out the other properties and once i got to Geejam, I knew immediately that was were i wanted to go. What really interested me was the apparent juxtaposition of easy living and modern amenities – rustic appearing huts with all the modern amenities such as cable, Wi-Fi, luxurious showers, iPod / iPhone connectivity. Not to mention what seemed like some pristine views.
- We booked the trip, 1 week in December. Between booking the trip and actually getting there my expectations kept rising and so did my fears. I was worried that Geejam would not live up to my growing expectations.
- I am happy to report to you that my expectations were met and exceeded. Owen, one of the drivers, picked us up in Kingston for the 2.5 hour drive to Port Antonio and Geejam. From that moment Ai knew it would be a special trip. The drive allowed us to see various parts of Jamaica and they are all beautiful. Owen had a cooler in the bus with beer, soda and water. He asked us if we wanted to stop to get something to eat or just check out on of the beautiful sites that we passed. We decided that we would rather get to the resort than stop so we declined the offer; however, Owen was able to tell us the history and stories about the various parts of the island through which we passed which made the 2.5 hours fly by.
- Once we arrived at Geejam it was apparent that Owen’s professionalism and knowledge was the norm rather than the exception. The entire staff although small, from Ayoli( I hope I spelled that right) who organized all our activities, to Yaz the chef, to Eubert, the bartender, to Damian the tech, to Bentley the other driver, to the maid and security staff were as helpful as any place we have ever been. Every one of our needs was catered to. From day 1 all the staff knew us by name and by the second day then knew that my preferred drink was a white rum pina colada and that my wife was partial to a red stripe or vodka with soda.
- The amenities at the resort were pretty good. Although I did not take advantage of the gym my wife assured me that it was adequate. The food at the restaurant was good. Yaz’s sushi and the Jamaican breakfast were the highlights. However the best amenities were in the room, we were able to watch our favorite shows while in the rainforest, yes port Antonio is a rainforest, something that we could not do in the rainforests of Costa Rica or the first place we stayed in Negril. We were able to check our e-mails, personal only of course, and were able to listen to the music from our iphones while we sat on the balconies overlooking incredible views of the beautiful blue waters of the Caribbean, all this while being in a very private location. We stayed in the Rocksteady cabin and while we could see the recording studio and the Drum and Bass cabin we still felt a significant level of privacy.
- One of the best amenities was the access to the drivers. At not extra charge we were provided a driver, Owen or Bently, to any location between Port Antonio and Boston Beach. We were able to make a quick trip to town for some ice cream or to diner or just to visit the market.
- I would like to thanks the staff at Geejam for making our anniversary trip so memorable. My wife and I both agree that this is one of the best vacations we have ever had and are already planning our next trip back to Geejam.

Here are a couple of things that we did that we really loved. Frenchman’s Cove is a must see, I understand why its regarded as one of the best beaches in the world. Reech Falls is beautiful, but there is a charge to travel there as it’s outside of the free transport zone. The Mille fleur restaurant in the Mockingbird hotel is also a place I would recommend for a good meal. You have to check out the Castle, you’ll know what I mean when you see it. Piggies, the little jerk center in town makes a great jerk chicken and festival. The tropical ice cream at Devon house is a must to experience – try the Grate nut
Here are a couple of things that we did that I would not again. San San beach was a big disappointment, Boston beach the fabled home of jerk was a bit overpriced and the pork was dry – try Piggies for the chicken. Overall I would say that the Jamaican food in Port Antonio was disappointing, I loved the food in negril, in Port Antonio- not so much.
- I have so much more to write about this trip and Port Antonio but I think I’ve highlighted the most salient points. Port Antonio is beautiful, go and enjoy!!

• Liked — teh bathroom is incredible, nicer than bathrooms in Four Seasosn where we've stayed.
  • Disliked — other than teh jamaican breakfast and the sushi the food was disappointing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!