“GREAT PLACE, LOVELY EXPERIENCE”
Review of Geejam

Geejam
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Reviewed November 17, 2013

MY boyfriend and I stayed at Gee Jam for four nights over the Christmas period and had a lovely time.

Pros:
1. In the middle of the jungle, the location is dream-like.
2. Our cabin was great - fully equipped, nicely decorated and very private.
3. The stuff were friendly and very attentive.
4. Our driver, Mr Bentley, was always sharp on time and a pleasure to share our car journeys with.
5. Breakfast was excellent and came in abundance. The food was overall great.

Cons.
I don't really have any cons. I've read reviews where people complained able the beach set up not being more like Negril, but that has nothing to do with the Hotel, it simply is a different part of the island, and a truer experience of Jamaica in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura B

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Parish of Portland is a step away from the rest of Jamaica, Port Antonio has some cool vibes, roadblock on Thursdays is a great street party with dancing groups and great MC over some fun dancehall and reggae.

Geejam provides a really great and personal service, the food surpasses expectation and the staff are very friendly and made arrangements for myself and family for some fun excursions, rafting, some waterfalls and a beach trip or two. We stayed in their 3 bedroom villa, Sanwood that has loads of cool artwork, we also had a couples massage in our rooms which took relaxation to another level. I really love this hotel and the way that you feel at home when you walk in - like nothing else I have ever experienced. I want to come back soon!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Geejam is a real gem in Beautiful Jamaica.

Getting to : (C-) Approach road is terrible.

Check in: (A+) Very accommodating and informative)

Property : (A) Secluded, beautiful views of the ocean and rainforest like feel.

Service (B-) Sketchy. Room service is below average. Service at restaurant is good. Staff forgot to give me the tour of the studio. A bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon wine was placed in my room for my anniversary. Nice touch, except that it was placed with 2 different sized Champagne flutes, and the wine was terrible.

Food : (B-) Not consistent. – When its good it’s great. When its not its poor. I ordered the same thing twice on 2 different days (Shrimp curry) day 1: it was brilliant. Day 2: it was tasteless. In comparison to similar properties, food is pricey.

Staff : (B) Majority of the staff were fantastic. The ones on my last day were clueless.
Rooms : (B+) Beautifully appointed, apple TV, Cable TV, Ipod Dock, Wifi etc. (Wifi didn’t work the first morning we arrived) Bathrooms are fantastic. A/C sounded like a tractor the first night.

Private Beach (B) its not really a private beach but a secluded private garden area overlooking the ocean with a tiny strip of sand. Kayaks available, no one to assist with life jackets or launch though. So didn’t get to use them. Still a great place to relax though.

Local Knowledge : (B) Was handed a free pass to Frenchman’s Cove. Frenchman’s Cove staff did not honor it.

Checkout : (D) I called well in advance to have the bill ready and it wasn’t when we were leaving. We had to wait for it.

Overall : B (Great relaxing time. Beautiful is an understatement)
Would I return : Quite possibly.

Room Tip: Stayed in Rocksteady. What a view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alwayssuperstylin
eagerbeaverhk, Co-owner at Geejam, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your detailed review.

Around the time of your arrival, we had unusually inclement weather which a) damaged the approach road, which is now under repair, and b) played havoc with our Internet, along with our back-ups. Our internet, across the whole property, right the way down to the beach, was already back to full speed after your first day, as you would've been aware.

We are currently upgrading our room service, along with the menu and level of consistency amongst the chefs, so I believe these things will not be an issue going forward.

My sincere apologies for the studio tour oversight. It's a pity you never mentioned it to anyone, as they would have happily set this up for you. Let's make this a priority on your next visit!

I think that the photos on our website give a very realistic flavour of our beach - one that many of our guests love, because it's not just sand, but is also lush with vegetation. We are, after all, in the very heart of the rain forest. Gopal, who looks after the beach, is around throughout the day, and would've been located without difficulty, via the Bushbar or guest services. One of his duties is to help our guests with the kayaks and life jackets. I'm so sorry you missed out on this, as the kayaking and snorkelling in the reef are extremely popular.

For many years, we had an arrangement with Frenchman's Cove, whereby they would welcome our guests with a pass on a complimentary basis. Sadly, the manager of Frenchman's passed away very recently, and they are no longer honouring the pass. Unfortunately, they neglected to tell us this, so I must thank you for bringing this to our attention.

There were some late additions that needed to be added to your bill, and I understand there was a change in the agreed check-out time – nevertheless, my sincere apologies for us making you wait.

You've also made some wonderful observations about our unique property, and for this I also thank you, and hope that you will return soon, and see for yourself that we've implemented everything mentioned above.
1love
Steve

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We had a 2 night stay at Geejam where we had 2 rooms (Drum and Bass, Rocksteady) We also did a vow renewal ceremony as well. Geejam is a gorgeous property. The rooms were clean and well maintained. We loved the privacy of the property and the rooms. The private beach is definitely a hit, and the complimentary use of the kayaks was a plus.

For our vow renewal, I could not have pictured a more perfect day. Everything went well…EVERYTHING! Shevanise was our coordinator and what a professional she is! From we initially made contact months ago, to the day of the ceremony she was absolutely perfect. Very accommodative, patient and professional. On the day of the ceremony, she was with me from make-up to the very end. She is indeed an asset to Geejam. On a whole, the staff was pleasant. We were greeted warmly upon our arrival, and they seemed eager to accommodate our needs and requests throughout our stay.

We had dinner at Trident Hotel on one night. The Jazz band was excellent. We were a party of five, and I was the only one not pleased with my main course. However, our waiter Tyrone offered to change my order to something else. I didn’t want to be a bother, so I declined. But again he was very pleasant and accommodative.

The food at the Bushbar was excellent. They provided brunch for my wedding party and it could not have been any better. We had breakfast there each morning as well, and it was well done. I had to ask to meet the chef so I could personally commend him.

All in all, it was a very good stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I were in Port Antonio in March and had the pleasure of staying in the Rock steady suite for a few nights. What a great experience! We loved the cool bar, the amazing private beach and everyone at the hotel was super helpful and just downright cool. You get no canned service here. You meet real characters and amazing guests. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The rock steady suite is definitely worth looking into. We had coffee every am on our own private ba...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank taliakate
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The property was excellent. Staff was very attentive and catered to our needs. We stayed in Ska which had an excellent view of the area and ocean. We took day trips to Reach Falls and river cruise which was all arranged and very organized. We stopped for Jerk along the road and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Not your average tourist vacation so beware. If you want to be away from it all, enjoy the beauty of Jamaica, eat well and be pampered, this is the place.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were unique. Check out the rooms on line before going.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Beyond the airports, the high-rise resorts and the usual tourist distractions lies this hidden sanctuary, nestled in the jungle, overlooking the most pristine, untampered part of Jamaica. Every cottage is special, the beach is luxuriously private and the staff is warm, welcoming and everything that’s right about Portland Antonio. I've been coming to Jamaica for over 10 years and Geejam is one of the reasons why. Enough said. Book it. You'll love it as I do.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Hermosa Cove - Jamaica's Villa Hotel
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!