“Absolutely fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We spent a week at Geejam, staying in the wonderful ska room. The room isn't massive but it is very well equipped (with the excellent apple tv system a real bonus) and the hot tub, terrace and views were just fantastic. Service was very personal and friendly and all the staff go the extra mile to ensure you have a great stay. Food from the bush bar was excellent and seeing the Jolly Boys a special treat. I also recommend taking a trip on the rio grande, with Belinda's cooking by the river was a highlight. Thanks to all the Geejam team for making it a perfect holiday

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Frasier2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We just spent three nights at Geejam, after getting married in New Orleans.

Perhaps because the reviews were so overwhelmingly positive, I went in with unrealistic expectations, but we weren't blown away or anything.

At that price level the rooms are always going to be nice, so it's the little things that make the difference, and a lot of the little things seemed to be lacking at Geejam... at least while we were there.

We got in around 8 and were shown to our room, but were never offered a tour of the property, then or the next day.

We stayed in Drum & Bass, which their website claims has a 1,500 sq. ft. private deck. It has a perfectly fine deck, but it's probably not even a third that size, and it seems like a really weird thing to mislead customers about.

We had a good dinner the first night, but the food the rest of the time was less impressive. I'm a vegetarian, so I tend to give places a free pass on food, because I know it can be annoying to go off menu. Still, I felt like some of the time Geejam wasn't even trying. On our second day we were hanging out at the beach and I called the Bushbar to see if there were any vegetarian options for lunch. I was told the chef would "create something special" for me. Thirty minutes later someone came down with a sandwich of white bread, lettuce, and tomato. And literally nothing else. No cheese. No mustard. No mayo. Nothing. ($15)

Activities are limited but fine. We signed up for one of the boat trips, but got a call saying it was cancelled 90 minutes before it was scheduled to leave. To their credit, they eventually found a working boat, but only after I had called to voice my displeasure. It ended up leaving close to 2 hours late, but was a really nice trip. The guy driving the boat was really fun and a real pleasure to talk to.

Geejam's beach is small, but wonderful, and we spent most of our time taking advantage of it. I would have preferred it if every once in a while someone came by to see if you wanted a drink or anything, but maybe others prefer phoning all their orders in.

I should also mention that I had a hard time booking my reservation. I was originally told there was no problem with my dates, and then after I booked my flights, I was told there was a four night minimum over Easter, but by then it was too late to change my flights. The owner, Steve, personally called to apologize for the hassle and assured me he was going to take care of us once we got there and that he had several surprises in store for us. Later he also asked if there was any way I could not book the trip through American Express Travel, even though I was already pretty far down the road with them. Because he was so nice, I agreed, even though it cost me a bunch of points. Again he told me that he had some fun surprises for us once we got to Geejam. What those were, I suppose I'll never know. (maybe that sandwich?)

All in all, it was an okay time, but not the kind of place I would rush back to. It's a lovely property and some of the staff were great. Nick and Lincoln in particular were really helpful and fun to be around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank GuyEndoreKaiser
eagerbeaverhk, Co-owner at Geejam, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Hello Guy,

Firstly, my congratulations on your recent wedding.

I want to thank you for your observations about the standard of our rooms, and I offer you my sincerest apologies that some of the "little things" as you put it, fell short.

At the time we spoke, I had every intention of being at Geejam to welcome you in person, and was ready to ensure you received a studio tour, along with a tour of the Trident Castle that we're currently renovating along with the Trident Hotel, and the Blue Lagoon restaurant, in time for a Christmas opening. Unfortunately, I was called home (to Hong Kong) in an emergency, and in the rush, I neglected to delegate this. I take personal responsibility for dropping the ball, and would hope that if you have a change of heart on your next visit to these shores, that you would allow me to comp you with a room night.

I would also like to offer you an explanation regarding the issues that you raised:

As with all our guests, you would have been given a cell phone on arrival. We do this for many reasons, but principally it's to encourage guests to reach out to us if there's ANYTHING they need. This would certainly include a tour of the property, or a drink while on the beach. It allows us to be there for you, without intruding.

The TOTAL floor space of Drum & Bass is around 1500 sq feet, not just the verandah!
So I thank you for pointing this out, and we will correct it immediately. I hope you enjoyed the view, and was able to use the jacuzzi that sits on the verandah?

Being vegetarian shouldn't have prevented you from enjoying what the Bushbar has to offer.
We pride ourselves on our bespoke dishes, so the chefs should have been able to satisfy you, in the same way they've done for the vast majority of our other guests (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147314-d1960748-Reviews-BUSHBAR-Port_Antonio_Jamaica.html. Apparently, the kitchen staff were fully aware you are a vegetarian, so they deliberately avoided cheese, and were told (obviously incorrectly) that you had requested 'no mayo'. A genuine miscommunication, and once again, my apologies for that.

Yes, the boat was not an easy one, and I appreciate you recognizing the lengths we went to, in order to make it happen for you. Lincoln was your driver – a real trooper, who came in on his day off, especially to help facilitate this.

There was a 5 day minimum for the Easter period, as stated on the rates page of our web-site. However, when I learned that you had already booked your flights, as you know, I agreed to waive this, and you were kind enough to book with us directly.

I genuinely hope you'll take me up on my offer above, and if you do, I very much look forward to meeting you in person.

1love
Steve
Belgium
Reviewed April 15, 2012

It was my 7th visit of Jamaica and Port Antonio. My first was in 1991. I visited different hotels at Port Antonio and this hotel was a revelation. A perfect combination of Jamaican hospitality, reggae feelings, good food and tastful cocktails. We stayed at the rum and bass suite wich gives a beautiful view of the ocean, has an incredible beatiful terrace with jaccuzi and very good king size bed. À surprise for me, was that Geejam is located at the other side of the road. We were travelling with rental car, as doing a tour Kingston, Port Antonio, Ocho Rios, Negril, with 3 outpost Island hotels which where incredible good. We had to ask for the hotel because there are no signs on the road. They want to keep this hotel private because famous persons stay here often. You have to go right and drive in to san san estate to find it, while I was looking to the left, ocean side.
There is an Exclusive beach where Gopaul gives you a private service. Often you are all alone on this beach. You get à coolbox from the bushbar and if you don't want to do the steps to the beach, à driver brings you.
Breakfast and even dinner is perfect on the terrace of your cabin of suites. Also at the restaurant is it very quiet and private.
We were lucky to see a performance of the Jolly boys and their mento style of reggae. Afterwards we had a recording at the studio, you should visit, where à song of us was recorded on the song of the passenger from the Jolly boys.
What you certainly must do is take the boattrip with the private boat from the hotel to blue lagoon and the rafting arranged by the hotel. Always you get a coolbox with you.
On my next visit I go back to this hotel and all other Outpost Island hotels in Jamaica. It is the best you can get on the Island and worth for his money.

Room Tip: Drum and bass is has the best terrace and view. Ska is the most private. Our daughter was with us on...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank huisman
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My husband and I planned are honeymoon in Montego Bay, Jamaica at an all Inclusive Resort. What we realized after two days was that being at an all inclusive resort was no way to see Jamaica. So we rented a car and drove from Montego Bay to Port Antonio. What an amazing way to see Jamaica. We had researched places to stay and I came across the Geejam when I originally researched places to stay but never heard of staying in Port Antonio. Then my husband came across the Geejam in his research when we were at the all inclusive stuffy americanized resort. We immediately called to check for availability. We were delighted to hear that they had a night available and we packed a bag for 2 days, rented a car and took a 4-1/2 hr AWESOME drive to Port Antonio to the Geejam Resort.
We arrived close to the evening so we didnt get to see what the entire property looked liked until the morning, but from what we saw when we did arrive we were amazed.
The staff was beyond 5 stars, the owner was incredible to get to know. Brin Brin was a sweetheart and made our private dining experience, one of a kind. The chef was wonderful and the food was DELICIOUS!
The best dinner we had in all of Jamaica.
We were completely impressed by what we treated with during our evening experience that we never thought it could get better and it did.
When we woke up in the morning, my husband treated the staff and the chef and demonstrated and cooked breakfast... what can I say. He loves to cook!
We finished breakfast, we wanted to enjoy the property and HAD NO CLUE THAT WE WERE ABOUT TO BE EVEN MORE AMAZED.
The private beach is absolutely breathtaking. I never thought that a place like this could exist.
By the way, every moment of everywhere we were, there was a staff member, ready to assist you with whatever you need and if they werent there, you just use the Cell Phone they provide you. INCREDIBLE!!!

Room Tip: They are all amazing!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I stayed thgere for a week with my wife and 5 year old and it could not have been better. Simply a wonderful boutique hotel in Port Antonio (JA's best kept secret) where one's every need is catered for .I will be back.

Room Tip: of you're a few then go for the suite with pool if not all the rooms are good...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank chris s
New York
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I visited Geejam in mid-February. We were very excited about our trip, but didn't exactly know what to expect as we had heard mixed reviews of Jamaica. Our worries were very quickly washed away. Geejam is an absolute gem. The resort is beautiful with well appointed and comfortable rooms in a lush jungle setting just steps away from the beach. We stayed in Sanwood for several nights (we absolutely loved Banksy's art in the villa) and Mento for one night, which provided for two wonderful and unique experiences. The service was attentive, friendly and simply outstanding - it's all about service at Geejam. The food at the Bushbar was absolutely incredible (I highly recommend the Curry Shrimp and Mento Stew!). We were fortunate enough to see the Jolly Boys perform live at the Bushbar...the old guys are awesome!... and meet one of the owners of the resort, Steve Beaver. Talk about a cool character...Steve chatted with all of the guests and personally made sure that everyone's needs were met.

Geejam beach is very private with white sand and 7 different shades of blue waters. We also enjoyed Frenchman's Cove, the Blue Lagoon and Winnifred Beach, all of which are beautiful and very close to Geejam. Geejam also organized a rafting trip down the Rio Grande, which may have been the highlight of the trip.

To sum it up, we had an amazing time, we will be returning in the not-too-distant future and we highly recommend that others check out Geejam.

Nick

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nick M
Vessem
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We where at Geejam in februari, and we had a great time. The rooms are really tremendous. the restaurant serves great food, the staff is top of the bill, and the beach is wonderfull. The only dissapointment is the island outpost/geejam reservation office. They forgot to told us that a taxi from Kinston to Geejam is complimentary whit a 5 night stay. So we rented a car, cost $ 340,00! We also had a discussion about the bill, it was 5 am when we checked out, and the staff could not decide, they promissed us the office would contact us afterwards. I send several mails to remind them, but they never respond. At the end we stay whit a wretched felling about our stay

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Edwin S
eagerbeaverhk, Co-owner at Geejam, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Here's a copy of our responses that have been emailed to Edwin:

Hello Edwin,

Firstly, let me thank you for all the positive feedback on your stay with us.

As we want all of our guests to leave Geejam feeling they've experienced something unique, I share your sense of frustration that Island Outpost's Central reservations dept. failed to inform you about our current complimentary transfer policy for guests staying 5 nights or more. Equally frustrating is the fact that we never received any of those 'reminder' emails that you mentioned.

I understand that you had arrived a day later than planned, and had requested a refund for that day, which, in spite of our refund policy, we would have been more than happy to have given you, had we not had such a small window of less than 24hrs to resell the room – this is one of the issues of being a 'private hotel' with only 7 rooms to begin with.

I think it only fair to mention that the discrepancy with the bill was, in fact, an error in your favour, to the tune of $352. However, instead of us pursuing this amount, and along with offering you our sincerest apologies, we've decided to consume it, because of the issues above. We were also amenable to you staying in Ska at the Rocksteady rate, as it had been initially quoted to you in error by Central Reservations. This represented an additional saving of $1020.

I'm happy to note that you were able to dispose of the hire car, and we were able to run you back to Kingston, on a complimentary basis.

Mistakes do happen – as we've seen here, and when things go wrong, we always try to tackle them in a positive way.

Should you have both enjoyed your stay with us sufficiently to warrant a return, we will ensure that there are no further mix-ups, and would welcome you back as part of our fast growing contingent of returning guests.

1love
Steve
Co-owner

And IO's letter of apology:

23rd March 2012

Dear Mr. Soetens,

Thank you for choosing Island Outpost and Geejam for your recent vacation destination in February 2012. We sincerely appreciate your business, as we know there were many choices that were available to you when selecting where to spend your travel dollars.

We write this letter to acknowledge that your stay with us was not without incident. Our reservations agent did neglect to inform you of the promotion entitling you to a complimentary airport transfer for your 5-night stay at Gee Jam. There was also an error on your bill upon checkout, which though fortunately erred significantly in your favor, was nonetheless regrettable. Island Outpost would like to apologize profusely for the inconvenience caused by these failings on our part.

With regard to your missed flight which resulted in you checking-in a day late, Island Outpost maintains a strict cancellation policy due the intimate scale of our collection of properties, and therefore could not refund you for a cancellation on such short notice.
We would however like to offer you a resort credit of $150 towards your next stay at any Island Outpost property of your choosing. This offer will remain valid until October 31st, 2013 and can be redeemed upon reservations made directly with our office.

Again, we regret any inconvenience caused by the abovementioned events. Should we have the opportunity to host you once again in the future, we shall certainly do our utmost to ensure that your experience is memorable, enjoyable and incident-free.

One Love,
The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!