“well worth a visit”
Review of Reach Falls

Reach Falls
Reviewed March 1, 2014

while the fall are out of the way, they are well worth the trouble to get to. Very nice tropical forest setting

1  Thank Fulvio O

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Be wary of an angry local man claiming to be the land owner along the river.

A recent visit to Reach Falls was a huge disappointment! We attempted to visit the falls on Monday 2/24 with guides we used in 2012 from Boston Beach. Our guides introduced us to Reach Falls and we wanted to visit this wonderful place again. Since the "official" falls were closed on Monday, we wanted to hike down the trail to the bottom of the river and hike back up through the pools.

We pulled over at the trail head to the lower falls and a man driving a yellow and black car claiming to be the owner blocked us on the side of the road, and made a terrible scene screaming that we were trespassing. He then back tracked and said he wasn't the land owner but hired to collect fees for the owner. He demanded that we pay him an entrance fee to cover the maintenance he provided to keep the area clear for access for the "local" guides. He was also furious that we didn't hire his guides and were using other guides. There were no signs posted indicating that the property was private or that fees were required to enter the river from this access point. He wasn't uniformed and provided no documentation or literature to support his claims. It was all very suspicious.

Since I had already visited before, I was surprised to learn of this, but willing to pay. He demanded an entrance fee of $10 for each tourist and $10 each for our two Jamaican guides. I didn't have a problem paying the fees for my husband and me, but It is not customary in Jamaica for local guides to pay the same fees. When we tried to discuss this with the man, he became even more argumentative and we decided not to visit the falls after all.

This man is not promoting tourism for the local community and I believe he was angry for not getting his share of the pie. The biggest shame is that this place is so magical and one of my top favorite places in the world and this guy ruined the experience. Maybe posting of signs would clear up any misunderstanding, but the way the scene played out smells of corruption and exploitation. Not good!

4  Thank Lupea1
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

This falls is quite out of the picture for Jamaica compared with dunns falls, but if you make the effort to get there (eastern Jamaica) you will not be disappointed. The falls are completely natural and a fantastic experience. I'm not a confident swimmer but the guide assisted me through the ascent guiding me on trails when the water was deep. The cave at the top of the route is a real highlight and despite looking like it is not possible to get into the entry hole, it is! This is very much a 'feel the fear but do it anyway' kind of place.

1  Thank John H
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Kenton was our guide as we climbed through, over, around in waterfalls and caves. The pools above the waterfall are different shades of blue - all beautiful. Be sure to go all the way up to the top cave that you climb into. It's an adventure. We had a blast.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We had a private tour with Leonard, who lives near the falls, of the jungle downstream of the official park. He can be reached at 876-849-6598. We paid him $20 for a two- to three-hour tour of the lush valley. He is a kind man who made us laugh and have a lot of fun as we chased waterfalls!

2  Thank LaurieandPratik