“magical place”

Reach Falls
New Jersey USA
“magical place”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

this was one of my favorite stops in Jamaica. we took a route taxi to the main intersection leading to Reach falls. then another taxi up the mountain to the actual falls.(only a few dollars) entrance is 10 dollars per person. that includes a guide. the grounds are covered with beautiful tropical plants and flowers. the guide leads you to the main falls via walkways and steps. beutiful sight the main falls are upon arriving. then the guide leads you up river though multiple pools and little falls. a combination of climbing and wading and swimming. the water is cool and crystal clear. a color of blue you cant imagine. we follow him splashing bobbing and swimming up to this hole in the river bed. he disappears down it, and we follow into a good sized cave. in which you get into an underground pool and pop up back into daylight in yet another pool. your guide then brings you back the way we came to the main falls. and looking for top down was amazing. thats the end of the tour. but you can stay and swim,and relax. the main falls have little caves you can hang out in, by ducking under the waterfall. you would think Disney build this,haha. there are changing facilities,bathrooms. and a life guard to watch your stuff. do yourself a favor and go!

2 Thank rinnies

Amsterdam
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Maybe the nicest Falls in Jamaica but go via the back door”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

There are two ways to visit Reach Falls: The official way or paying a local guide $5 pp to hike up the Falls from the back side. The latter is absolutely spectacular. The Falls are pristine, you are completely alone, the hike is easy, safe, fun and absolutely beautiful and our guide was a character. We visited Reach, Somerset, Dunn's & YS while in Jamaica and Reach was our favorite.

5 Thank Dominique050
Mandeville, Jamaica
“Treasure Chest”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

It is a far drive from Port Antonio but after arriving you will forget how long it took to get there as it is magnificent! The water is clear it is zoned for non swimmers and swimmers. The life guard is extremely helpful and the tour was totally worth the hike. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Wendy-Ann B
Oakland, California
3 attraction reviews
“A beautiful waterfall....”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Ok, I love waterfalls and there are lots of them to see in Jamaica. The guy Curtis who works there is a gem!!!! OMG!! He really took good care of my son Justice who is four and loved the place. Because of Curtis, I was able to walk thru the falls and hike up to the top. I felt safe and like he really knew what he was doing. He was amazing and very professional. I loved Reach Falls....even the front end staff was great. I had an itchy finger when I finished and the ladies at the front took care of it for me. I need water shoes the next time I go...the rocks hurt my feet and you need to know the water is COLD. I got used to it and my four year old loved it. I can't wait to go back to Reach Falls. A def. highlight of my trip.

Visited June 2013
Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Must do on the east”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were a little hesitant to go to reach falls as guidebooks and reviews said the place was either closed or taken over by hustlers, but the experience couldn't be better. Seems like the government officially reopened and it was absolutely the best run government-run tourist place in entire Jamaica. No hustlers, clear (and good) prices and service, clean amenities and a fabulous experience. The access road is in very good condition and it's actually not such a far ride compared to e.g. Mayfield Falls.

We visited the place with a rental car and got there a little past noon, which was the right timing as the groups that were visiting were just leaving again. By the time we left too, we had the place to ourselves.

The main waterfall is different from most waterfalls in Jamaica as it is a real high waterfall rather than cascading falls. The greatest aspect is that you can swim under the fall and even jump off the top (it's also not THAT high).

Someone at the waterfall will tell you a guide can also take you up for a hike. This is NOT a hustler, the hike and guide are included in the price and you should definitely do this. You can either swim or walk most of it and it is absolutely gorgeous. It is not like dunn's river falls or so where there are masses of people everywhere. The groups seem te be fairly limited, making it an intimate and eerie experience. The hike ends at a cave under the river. Getting in and swimming out again is a truly exhilerating experience.

All in all: Reach Falls is one of the greatest places we've visited in all of Jamaica.

Visited July 2013