“Bug and cleanliness problem here!”

Shields Negril Villas
Ranked #28 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Negril
London
“Bug and cleanliness problem here!”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I've just returned from staying at this hotel for 3 nights. My initial thoughts were that is was a good value hotel in a very convenient location in Negril. I'm not a person that expects luxury at every hotel I stay in but service and cleanliness are basic requirements for me. As our stay progressed I realised why the price was lower compared to some of the other hotels on this stretch of the beach. My main issue with this hotel is the lack of cleanliness and the dreadful bug problem. Our room had ants all over the dresser, when I called house keeping all they did was spray some bug repellent - no apology or action to check the source or clean up. When leaving I asked to put my bags in their 'secure room' as we had some things to do before our airport transfer arrived, when I came back to pick up one of my bags it WAS CRAWLING INSIDE AND OUT WITH THOUSANDS OF ANTS/BUGS. It was one of the worse experiences in a hotel I've ever experienced and I've stayed in many hotels all over the world and in Jamaica. I'm still having nightmares about seeing them crawling in my luggage and all over my belongings. when I asked the receptionist and staff for help they seemed to be hopeless to do anything and didn't even offer an apology...All they did was offer me the bug spray again. I was shocked disgusted and appalled and it really ruined the end of my holiday. Other issues included a lack of towels in the bathroom some of which were dirty, broken ironing board and iron, loud music coming from the hotel next door.
In addition they appear to have a problem with stray dogs hanging around the breakfast tables; they were sniffing peoples food and feet. When we asked the staff to sort this out as we were both afraid, allergic and thought it was unhygienic they didn't take this seriously and did nothing about it. Most of the staff at the hotel were welcoming and nice although at times helpless, however the breakfast serving staff were the most unfriendly and need to have some lessons on how to offer good customer service.
The standard of breakfast was ok, but I've had much better else where and on some mornings we had to wait up to 40mins for it to arrive.
I'd recommend paying a little extra and staying at one of the other hotels along this stretch of the beach as I certainly won't be staying here again or suggesting it to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ms_F_9
Shenvil, General Manager at Shields Negril Villas, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
We apologise to you for having a bad experience at our hotel. Having done an investigated i give an account:
Guest has breakfast at the beach terrace area during the morning, neighbour's dog strays on the beach area, but is chased away by staff in that area. Dog however returns in the area after a while. He is actually encouraged to return because some of the guests are giving him food. We have spoken to the dog's owner about him getting on the beach front area, and steps have been taken to control the animal so he does not return.

With regards to the problem of ants. Guest makes a report about ants in her room. A house keepers goes to the room, and cleaned up the area. Guest then leaves her bag in an storage area for safe keeping until she was ready to leave the hotel. She takes her bag out of the storage area and discovers that ants are all over her bag.

Front desk Agents tries to help by offering her a chair so she could lay the bag, and unpack the bag in a bid to get rid of the ants. It was discovered that the bag actually had sticky substances in it that was attracting the ants. Clothing items were also found in the female public bathroom which may have been taken from the bag.

I do apologise again, however i must say that the hotel does not have an ant or bug problem. Persons are be careful not to have substances that can attract ants in their bags, because it suggest to me that the ants were actually in the bag in the room and then taken to the storage area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Kent
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I have been to Negril before; but Shield served the best food in nice surroundings. The staff team are an asset; any request is "No Problem" we will definately use Shields as our Jamaica base and plan to return this autumn. I would luv to see management start a staff award scheme to show off pics of those who go way and beyond the call of duty! Maureen and Flemming looked after our every need; you dont need anything more than what Shields can offer the food was brilliant and not expensive; Just cant wait to come back. Shields is well worth a visit

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I went to shields for a vacation with wife . I was satisfied with the room size however the beds were lumpy and the toilet was prone to being plugged. Rooms were cleaned daily and replacement sheets and towels were also replaced at daily intervals.

I was not satisfied with the "breakfast" which consisted of cold eggs and toast. . 2 days into the trip it the breakfast turned to just toast . I was told I would have to pay 18.00 usd to have the eggs again . I refused .

The highlight of the stay was when we found a wonderful resturant run by a lady named "Fatty" directly across the street. She serves authentic jamaican cusine at a reasonable price.

There is no nightlife at shields hotel . If you want fun I suggest u go to the hotel next door called travellers hotel . They have a nightclub and free internet you can use .

If I had to do it again I would go to travellers and eat across the street at Fatty's , and hit Jungle nightclub , every thursday , The Club at the travellers hotel friday , and do the beach party thing on sunday night . Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blk_honda
Shenvil, Manager at Shields Negril Villas, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
As the Hotel Manager of Shields , I am disappointed with the content of this review. Guest checks in the hotel on a continental breakfast plan for two days.

However upon check in , guest was in fact given a full breakfast coupon in error. Front Office Manager discovered error, and immediately informed the guest, who had used up his full breakfast coupon over two days period.

Their stay was extended for another three days, and they were given the correct continental breakfast coupon which they utilized. They were given the option of an upgrade at US$3 per day per breakfast, totaling US$18 for the three days.

The hotel received no complaint in the inception that they had a problem with their breakfast. It was only after having received the correct breakfast type that this was mentioned.

I hope that this respond will in fact clarify any misunderstanding, since we were not informed that the guest had a problem with their breakfast.

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Kasterlee
Reviewed December 14, 2009

Shields Negril Villas is yet a simple but fantastic hotel with an extremely friendly and thoughtful staff!
Thanks to Alicia, Samantha, Maureen, David, Vincent, Timothy, ... and all the others for the very pleasant stay.
We will be back!
Fabrice & Marc

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
England
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed at Shields for one night while on a two week holiday, My fiances brother had arranged for us to stay here and how happy we were when we saw the place, We were late arriving in negril something like midnight and the receptionist stayed beyond her hours just to check us in and then the ever so nice security guard escorted us to our room and made sure everything was in working order and that we were happy!!

The room was beautiful, decorated lovely and quite spacious, when opening the patio door for the balcony you could see the beach and sea!!

The bed was so comfy and we got a lovely nights sleep there

In the morning we recieved a call from the receptionist to say we were due our breakfast voucher, we went down collected it and went for breakfast i personally wasnt expecting it to be all that but WOW that was the best FOOD i have ate while being in jamaica!! Absoloutly gorgeous!

THe villas are set in tropical pretty well kept gardens.

Would definatly recommend it here and would definatly return!!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hamburg
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I stayed at Shields Negril Villas for 3 weeks and really had the time of my life. The hotel was nice, small and clean. I especially liked the staff, who was really nice and sweet at all times. All meals are served right at the ocean and in the evening you can watch the beautiful sunset while having dinner. You can walk to Negril town and to all other places around easily. The hotel lies a bit off the bigger hotels, so you can enjoy lying on the beach without being surrounded by hundreds of other tourists. I've never been so relaxed like on this holiday and I would like to come back to Shields Negril as soon as possible!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaryLouHamburg
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Ok, I have to admit we were a bit apprehensive because we could not find any recent reviews on this property and chose it mainly based upon price. Once we got past the initial shock [because we are used to staying in 3-4* places], we absolutely loved it! Three girls needed a winter break from Chicago and we were looking for value for our 4 nights, 2/28-3/4. The 2 bedroom 'villa'-not sure why they call it a villa, was perfect for us, our rooms were 21a and b. It had one room with a full size bed and a dining table as well as a kitchenette and the second bedroom had 2 full size beds. The decor was minimal, although we did have a coffee maker, microwave, 4 eye stove and a fridge. The bathroom was simple, but clean. They were tv's in both bedrooms [with cable]. On the 2 bed side the door opened to a balcony for sitting, with a partial view of the water and another property which included small cottages. One of the most interesting things about the property next door was the rooster and baby chicks--it was pretty cool. We didn't have much interaction with the front desk people, but I would describe them as professional. However, our housekeeper Raquel, was very friendly and didn't mind having a conversation at all. The location was great, about a quarter to half-mile to the 'round about,' which is downtown. You can hit the grocery and souvenir stores and also pick-up some patties at the restaurant/bakery. What was even better is that Shields is on the beach, we parked on the beach everyday and had lunch at the hotel grill. The food was good, never tried dinner though. So, if you have a family or a small group of friends looking for a good island value, I recommend Shields. RESPECT MON! I'll upload some pics when I get a chance.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business