“get the breakfast!”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Jamesville, New York
“get the breakfast!”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed at Legends, but every morning I went next door to Kuyaba to get breakfast. I had the Kuyaba breakfast with Johnny Cakes (instead of toast) and a side order of jerk sausage. Delicious! I had never had jerk sausage before and it was incredibly tasty. The pancakes were great too, but I'm not sure what kind they were, I always forgot to ask. I had dinner there too which was good, mainly the crab cakes, along with the giant shrimp appetizer. For dessert, I'd definitely recommend the coconut pie!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Emily B

• Polish first
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
“Great Meal”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were in Negril for 10 days an had been to Negril many times before but never made it to Kuyaba. A really nice restaurant with Jamaican menu to choose from, I had curry goat which was very good, wife got the shrimp pasta, also very good. We will definitely go back.

• Visited December 2013
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Used to be the gold standard...now not so much.”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We dined at Kuyaba after some other evenings of poor restaurants knowing (we thought) that this was a good dependable "go to" restaurant. Not so this year.

Ordered grilled lobster. No grilled lobster,
Ok how about the escovitch snapper. None of that.
Ended up with a piece of beef Meh.
Wife got snapper with callaloo on it.. So why not give me the snapper without the callaloo
but with the escovitch sauce. ?????

Took an hour and a half to be served. I'm a patient guy but I was ready to walk out.

fortunately I bought a cell phone this year and didn't have to keep our driver waiting. When I called him he was waiting in the Kuyaba parking lot. He said " I know mon, very, very slow".

Fix it Kuyaba, please

• Visited November 2013
Southern California
“I would not return and would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I passed by on the beach, slowed, and the security guard trotted over. I asked to see a menu; he got one, then proceeded to play a keep-away-game, trying to get me to move closer to him to get the menu. Not a great first impression, but Kuyaba had been recommended to me, so after my business in town I came back along the roadside and came into the restaurant for lunch.

I ordered a grilled snapper sandwich and waited 25 minutes to be served, which is actually not too bad for a restaurant in Negril. The fish was mediocre although accompanied by a nice, freshly sliced tomato and tasty coconut bread.

My complaint with the Kuyaba restaurant is the staff. The waiter delivered my food, offered no condiments and did not come back to the table to see if I wanted anything else. He did not return to my table until I was getting ready to leave and then he had not even bothered to prepare my bill. I was the only guest in the restaurant at the time.

I was told that Kuyaba supposed to be a fairly decent restaurant - a step up in Negril - yet I found the waiter very unprofessional; repeatedly referring to me as "my beauty" when taking my order and delivering food. ...I have been to Jamaica many times, and while you learn to expect the "beauty," "baby" routine from the beach venders... shouldn't waitstaff - at what is supposed to be a better restaurant - be more professional?

I was never presented with a check, so I went up to the bar to pay my bill and had to wait for a check to be written. Again, I was the only guest in the restaurant.

A female employee finally stepped forward to take payment for my bill and when I thanked her for my change she was quite nasty, volleying a surprising show of outward disgust in my direction.

Kuyaba was recommended to me, by the owners of the hotel where I was staying, and I advised them to strongly reconsider future recommendations to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Clearingcustoms
The Villages, Florida
“Excellent in all Categories”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

During our recent trip to Negril, we left our all-inclusive resort for a dinner at Kuyaba in Negril as a party of 10 people. Because of the size of the party, after some negotiation, the restaurant provided round-trip transport between our hotel (about 5 miles away) and the restaurant. The atmosphere is truely Caribbean, The entrance to the restaurant is a long walkway through tropical foliage that opens to a beach side restaurant and bar. The bar has swings for bar stools. There are two large tropical birds, which the staff and the regulars have come to know and adore. Once seated, we found the service to be excellent and the prices reasonable. The restaurant was also clean. The food was great! For starters, I had the cream of Pumpkin Soup. It was much better than any I have had in the past. It was spiced up with Scotch Bonnet pepper, which gave it a pleasant kick. You could not help but savor this soup, as it was too spicy to eat fast. I had a chicken dish called Bird of Paradise which was a chicken Cordon-bleu type dish with lightly breaded chicken breast rolled and stuffed with callaloo (spinach type green) , cheese and plantains among other ingredients. My girlfriend had a snapper dish covered with a callaloo dressing that she also thought was excellent. The on-line menu differs from the actual menu we found at the restaurant, but it still provides a good picture of the types of dished that they serve. I only give a excellent when a meal is pleasantly memorable - and this fits the bill.

• Visited November 2013