All reviewsround houseltu pubrick's cafecomplete privacywest endevery morningcliff divingcolettecottagecavespropertysunsetoceanjamaicavacationduplexsnorkel
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The place was incredible. There was so much to do and so much to see. The location being in the middle of everything made everything so convenient.The place itself, the roundhouse, was so neat. There was nothing more beautiful than sitting on the porch in one of the hammocks and seeing the sun come up and nothing below you because you are right on the cliff itself. It was an amazing experience for the both of us.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I have already submitted a review of this wonderful resort perced high up on the cliffs of Negril so I will try not to be redundant. A hammock at Citronella is one of my favorite relax and rewind places in the world. Whenever I am really stressed I close my eyes and say "hammock, hammock".
I have had two stays since my last review. Both of them in the Cove House. In June there were six of us: coworkers, friends and family for a week. Of the Six, three were new to Jamaica. Five women from 25 years old to 61 years old and one lucky guy (my oldest son). The Cove House was easily large enough for all of us although we spent very little time inside. We spent most of our time on the deck, in the hammocks or treking around Negril. There was no AC and it was not needed. The ceiling fans and ocean breezes kept the interior cool enough for comfort. We made some great meals in the large kitchen put the blender to good use with our Sunset Drinks.
I returned in January for 10 days at the Cove House with a smaller group, and a different son. The weather was cooler and at times I had to reach for another blanket at night but it was hot during the day and the sea was calm enough to swim in on every day we were there. The nights were wonderfully quiet after the music from Ricks died down which is never loud enough to be a bother anyway.
The days, although hot, were cool enough for long treks during the morning and we took a couple of interesting walks out past the lighthouse all the way to the Westender. There is a wonderful little community down that way, a couple of tiny stores, rum shops, small private gardens, skinny island dogs and lots of goats. There is very little traffic and it is quite peaceful. Murphys Chicken, Out of Town Patties and Whoppie's palapa bar are available for pit stops on the way. You can get a wonderful lunch at the Westender and they will call at taxi to get you back if you decide not to walk.
We stocked up on provisions at Wise Choice Market and would throw a bag of ice into the freezer every couple of days.
Several improvements were made since we had been in June. A brand new beautiful deck was put on the Great House suitable for wedding parties. The Cave House was repainted a beautiful turquoise blue. There were new sun chairs, lounge chairs and we had a brand new sun umbrella. The Cave House had a brand new bed. Unforturnately, the parrots we had grown to love on previous trips had been displaced during the hurricane and were nowhere to be found except one young one that was saved and kept by Trevor, one of the workers who lives on the grounds.
Citronella is a wonderful place to just relax. John and Cathy do a good job of taking care of their guests. I ran out of propane while cooking my Rasta Pasta one evening and there was a fresh tank in the kitchen within 10 minutes. No Problem.
Wifi is free at the Great House. We could also pick it up on our back porch. During high season a fruit, bread and coffee continental breakfast is served. If we were out on our walks and missed the breakfast it was saved for us in the kitchen. Coffee and tea can always be had during the day and there is a coffee maker and frige in all the rooms.
During my walks I was able to stop and tour the Westender, Samsara, Tensing Pen, Banana Shout, Catcha, Rockhouse, Seastar, Negril Escape, etc. I had stayed at several of these resorts in the past, but I wanted to see if they were updated and compare them to Citronella. While they are all beautiful resorts, the one I am going to return to is Citronella.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed January 12, 2011

If you like to vacation outside the big resorts and get closer to the culture of the island or you want to try a villa instead of a hotel, I love Citronella. Some of the villas have a kitchen which I also like and there is a grocery store a short walk away but that's just my thing. The real beauty is the property. Privacy rules and you can't see the other villas on the property. There is a great house where you can socialize if you want and where the continental breakfast is served. Each villa has sea access and the coves are so beautiful to swim in! The staff are wonderful and keep everything so clean! I have come here 3 years in a row and it's like home away from home ( with housekeeping!)

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Marylynncaruso
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We are a family of 7, with five kids ranging in age from 10 to 20. Our family has been to Jamaica 12 times, always staying at all-inclusives. It was time for a something new, and what a welcome and positive change Citronella was. We were apprehensive before arriving, regarding the lack of air conditioning, rustic accomodations, and NO TV, yet within minutes after arrival our fears were put to rest, we had stumbled upon paradise. The grounds are truly breathtaking, with beautiful foilage and outstanding views of the beautiful sea. Although there are 5 houses on this property it is a private oasis.

We rented the entire Conch house, which had 4 double beds, as well as ample living space with two bathrooms with showers, it proved to be a perfect fit. The front porch has two hammocks, tables and chairs and wonderful views. The Conch house has a great sea access with a shower which proved to be a hit with the kids. Our days were spent cliff jumping, enjoying the water with rafts and snorkel gear, and taking in the beauty of our surrondings.

The three housekeepers were lovely women who did a very thorough job and were unobtrusive. Trevor was always on hand to help pump up a raft or help whenever needed. John and Cathy were such lovely hosts, always making certain we were happy.
A tasty breakfast of raisin toast and fruit skewers was offered in the Great House each morning.

Never have I experienced such a relaxing and peaceful vacation with our 5 kids. Not once did they ask for TV or long for other modern comforts of home. In fact this trip allowed our family to just enjoy being together. Thank you John and Cathy, and everyone at Citronella for sharing your piece of heaven on earth with us.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank preppy1
Reviewed November 24, 2010

For our very late honeymoon: one week in what promised to be paradise. Our expectations were exceeded in every way--from the environment, to the landscaping, the clever architecture, the Jamaican laid-back feeling all around, the incredible staff, every single one of them...

Citronella truly is the most idyllic, magical place either of us have ever been. The sea was our private swimming pool in the Round House. Rode rolling swells on our rafts, snorkeled easily around all the amazing geology. The private sea entrances are exactly as hoped for, truly private and safe, easy access to the MOST jewel-like water, lapping at your back door. Well, 50 feet down from your back door. The extra outdoor shower at the Round House, down by the sea entrance, is so much fun. Exciting and relaxing at the same time.

All the rave reviews are TRUE. True, true. Take yourself here, if you are not wanting to stay in an all inclusive tourist trap. The kitchen in the Round House is more than adequate, has everything you need--pick up some Blue Mountain coffee at the Hi-Lo in town (better than Starbucks, I swear, right out of the tiny coffee maker.) The bathroom and outdoor shower were just awesome, so refreshing and clean, we loved it. The L.T.U. Pub next door has fantastic food with variety of dishes, all with an island twist. Nice place, lovely view, and right next door.

The only reason I gave the sleep quality only 4 stars was because D.J. Sexy Rexy hooted and hollered on his P.A. across the street very late into the night, into morning, three nights in a row. We don't regret having lived through his rapping for hours over the same loop of samples--a dog bark, a very real sounding hurricane siren, a baby laughing... at top volume. Not cool at all. I think maybe he was celebrating something special, or lamenting someone's passing. Who knows. But the management at Citronella marched down and took care of it, along with other neighboring property owners, and the late night karaoke stopped. Whew. THEN the sleep was the best I've ever had, hands down. No mosquitoes in November, really. A few geckos. The water outside makes everything amazing.

If you like a more rustic, self-catered experience--do it. This place has the connections you need. Junior, of Junior's House of Joy Tours (see To Do page on Citronella's website for his info) drove us to and from the MBJ airport, and he knows those roads like the back of his hand. No worries, in spite of crazy driving, which seems to be the norm all over Jamaica.

Our new friend, whom we'd met hanging out around LTU and all over town in his taxi, Patrick Tate drove us around the island on a tour to YS Waterfall (bring swimsuits, we did not, it looks like great fun) and down through St. Elizabeth. Beautiful. Jamaica is something to experience, behold. Get used to pot holes in some spots. I'd never drive myself in Jamaica. No way.

After our tour we went to eat lobster and chicken at Erica's with Patrick, right up the road from Citronella. This is not to be missed. It looks like a cute little place to have a meal as you walk or drive by at noon, but go at sunset, or after, when the vibe is cool. Amazingly delicious. Cold Red Stripes, and our lovely young hostess, who seemed to be alone but had a veteran cook behind her in the kitchen, was listening to NPR. She said the BBC keeps her informed about her world. Great conversations all around.

Most of all, the quietude, the gentle seas, the rain (didn't get the thunderstorms we wanted, which was good, as the owners and staff were exhausted after cleaning up after the last one), the bright moonlight on the stone steps, the water; new friends, Sam in the kitchen cooking up sweet breakfasts for us every day, people hanging in the Great Lodge, chatting, playing games, checking their electronic devices for email and what not with the free wi-fi (we left ours at home--what a relief!)

Citronella, we are coming back soon to see Trevor, Samora, Jennifer, Millie, Marie, and hopefully Adrian! What a wonderful cast of characters. You will totally dig it. My favorite quote was from a guide in the YS Falls park. I spilled some water on the beautifully shined wood floor of the lodge/office/gift shop there and tried to tell him I needed help. He said, "No worries. This is Jamaica, mon, we have no problems, only situations."

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple