“A nice relaxing place to enjoy Jamaica”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #44 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Va. Beach
“A nice relaxing place to enjoy Jamaica”
Reviewed February 24, 2010

If you want to stay somewhere that is laid back and is not the hustle bustle of a hotel, then this is the place for you. Each house has it's own unique look and feel. The privateness is so peaceful. Accommondations are comfortable, and just perfect for a quiet stay. The housekeepers come in daily and are so wonderful.Beautiful sunsets are right outside your porch. Snorkerling right off your own private entryway is a plus. The owners, Cathy & John are wonderful !

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 19, 2010

The cliffs are amazing and Citronella is no exception. The cost compared to other cliffside accomodations is so much less. My husband and I stayed in the Cove house with 2 other couples. We really enjoyed our time in Negril, but were disappointed in the lack of food options at Citronella. The included "breakfast" was only fruit and a tiny piece of cake and there is no restaurant or shop onsite to buy food or beverages of any kind. The property could use some TLC as far as landscaping, weeding, etc as well (and the addition of a pool would be really nice!). But all-in-all for that price range it is well worth it. We did really appreciate the free wi-fi access in the Great House.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank whr975s
Maryland
Reviewed February 6, 2010

My husband and myself along with our daughter and son-in-law stayed at Citronella January 12th -19th in Cove House. What a truly magical property Citronella is, especially Cove House. Wow!!!!! The views were breathtaking. The house was stunning and very roomy for the 4 of us.

My husband and I have traveled to Jamaica in June with our 18-year old daughter and stayed at Xtabi in a seaside cottage and thought that was heaven on earth. So much so we went back 3 months later in September with a friend.

Our oldest daughter and son-in-law were recently married in July and were not able to take a honeymoon. Since we wished to go back to Negril in June 2010, we invited them along as a gift. Then we got the exciting news that they were expecting their first baby in June. Change in plans. June is out, January is in. The rates to pay for 2 Xtabi cottages during Jan. (high season) was out of our price range and so I checked out Citronella. I am truly a believer in everything happens for a reason because we truly found heaven on earth.

My husband and I renewed our vows at sunset right there on the deck of Cove House. So cool. I got to marry the most gorgeous, wonderful husband on earth once again in our favorite place on earth. What more could you ask for? Truly a magical evening. Afterwards, went directly to Rock House where Dwight the restaurant manager gave us his best table. Thank you so much Dwight. Thank you Kingsley for everything that you do for us and always being there. If anyone needs a driver Kingsley is just the best in the world and it wouldn't be going to Jamaica if we didn't see his smiling face at the airport. I will be more than happy to give you his number and/or email address. Cannot recommend Kingsley enough.

Our hosts at Citronella, John and Cathy, could not be nicer and/or more accommodating. They welcomed you into their home. The property is stunning and there is lots of privacy and just beautiful foliage. We felt so at home that we rarely left Cove House. Love the shower at the water access as the water there is stunningly blue, but also very salty. While snorkeling my husband and I saw a school of squid in front of Ricks...so cool. My son-in-law saw about 100 starfish in front of Cove House. We found a couple conch. The snorkeling at Xtabi I thought had a little more to offer, however, the water color at Citronella is far more stunning.

All day and night all we could hear was the sound of the waves crashing against the coral cliffs below. Waking up to the waves and the sound of our daughter's baby heartbeat monitor each morning was fabulous.

At night we lit every candle they supplied and that we brought. Our deck was just gorgeous with the candlelight and we would play games (provided by Citronella) all night. Great memories were made there.

You will feel truly IRIE if you stay at Citronella.

5 Thank Audthang
Va Beach
Reviewed January 21, 2010

What a great place to come and relax. The owners could not be any nicer! The warm breezes, beautiful sunsets, cozy houses, and just an overall great vacation was our experience. Highly recommend !

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Treasure coast
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My family and I traveled to Negril and decided to stay at the cliffs for a few nights and picked Citronella! I must say, staying at this beautiful, relaxing, and private accommodation made our trip. The snorkeling was superb, we had our own walk way through the cliffs down to the water, where there were also showers for convenience after our swim. We were able to cliff dive, explore underwater caves, sunbathe in private on a point overlooking the most beautiful landscape, sunset, and turquoise water I have ever seen. We stayed in the most basic, Conch House and we were 200% satisfied with our accommodations. Each morning there was coffee, tea, and a light breakfast in the neatest location, right beside an opening to an underwater cave, where you were awakened by the smell and sound of the ocean expelling and rushing into the cave just below. There are also many local restaurants within walking distance and the famous Ricks Cafe in viewing distance from Citronellas cliffs and your private accommodations. In addition, the family who owns this place are so nice and accommodating and I couldn’t have felt more safe. I can tell you if you intend to go to Negril you have got to check this place out. It is the most beautiful and relaxing place My family or I has ever seen! Undoubtedly, when I go back to Jamaica, this is where I will always stay!! Please Enjoy, you will come back a rejuvenated, entirely new person after seeing this amazing place!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Citronella is great. Lots of privacy, great views relaxed atmosphere. On the bad side I couldnt hardly sleep while there. If you want to get away from the booming stereos of the city this is not the place. When they finally quiet down the dogs bark constantly. Not the dogs that seem to live on the propety mind you but across the street and seemingly everywhere. We also stayed at the rock house a few days and had the same issues.
Negril is great as long as you are not a light sleeper. Lots of peace. Not so much quiet

Montana/NewYork
Reviewed January 13, 2010

This ultra-laid-back cluster of funky cottages is a fabulous spot for undisturbed relaxation for two, or for a base-camp for bigger groups. We rented the little A-Frame cottage, which was perfect for the last three nights of our Honeymoon: quiet, private, charming, with impeccable views. My favorite part was the outdoor shower, even though a quick cold-snap in the weather made the experience a bit.. brisk. This is the kind of place that the view of gorgeous tropical flowers all around the shower is more important than any ultra-luxe bathroom amenity, and the luxury of your own private hammock overlooking the waves makes shaking the thatched-roof-debris out of your clothes after a big wind worthwhile. The larger cottages would also be VERY fun for family vacations or trips with lots of friends.
The owners are generous with restaurant recommendations--some within walking distance, some a $5 cab ride away. Activities are also available, though you'll want to research ahead of time or plan to get advice from the owners on-site, since the vacation-rental atmosphere of Citronella leaves you more or less on your own to explore the island.
Though we could hear the band from neighboring restaurants early in the evening, the ambient live reggae was a fun addition to our later hours lounging on our own private point looking out over the water, and the music was always well over by the time we got back from dinner. And you can't beat the location for sunsets. Don't miss the very reasonably priced and local-vibe boat rides (snorkel, fishing, sunset...) with famous Vincent!! If you want a low-key, island-style vacation, and are at least adventurous enough to catch a cab for off-site activities, you'll LOVE this place and never want to leave!!