“Privacy in Paradise - A wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #40 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Cincinnati, OH
“Privacy in Paradise - A wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Spent 7 nights there over thanksgiving and just loved the place. We were in the Round House. What a wonderful little house it is and the location is one of the best in Negril with its deck right on the edge of cliff.
Completely private with your own sea access to some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean right at the bottom of your own private stairway. We saw a big ray, dolphins, small eels and a huge variety of plentiful reef fish. Plenty of good local places to eat within walking distance and our little kitchen was perfect to whip up a few meals.
The staff there are all very friendly and welcoming. The sunsets were spectacular every day. Being around the bend to the west from most of Negril the sun sets straight out to sea from your deck which makes for perfect pictures and viewing.
I'll be posting a video I made of the property on YouTube under the account "RastaRichNegril" in a few days. Check it out.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RastaRich

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Chapin, SC
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We were at Citronella in late October 2009 and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Cove House. Our one-week stay at Citronealla afforded us the opportunity to see the "real" Negril area.

Citronella is located about a 5-10 minute taxi drive from Negril's Seven Mile Beach area. The scenic location is Negril's West End on the 50 ft. high cliffs area. Our traditional Jamaican cottage was wonderful and different for us... NO tv, NO telephone and NO air-conditioning. The fans were all we needed for comfort for sleeping. With almost three acres of lush tropical landscape, this property has been kept in the "traditional Jamaican" environment. Citronella offers incredible views, beautiful sunsets, quiet caves, secluded coves, and most of all privacy. The cottages are very private from one another. They are all open-aired, and have louvered windows, ceiling fans and mosquito netting over every bed.

All cottages have a private entrance to the ocean and outdoor (fairly) private showers. All of my showers were outside. We spent several days at Citronella lounging in the ocean on the provided floats. Junior provided our transportation from Montego Bay to Citronella (about 1 1/2 hours).

We walked to nearby restaurants for lunch and dinner most of the time and other times our new buddy, Niah, provided transportation to other restaurants. Our favorite restaurants included: Sips and Bites, 3 Dives, Tensing Pen and Rock House. Other days, Niah provided transportation to Margaritaville or White Sands to hang out on the beach. Niah, the taxi driver, can usually be found at LTU Pub which is next door. Turn right when walking out the front gate and a short distance down the road is the Negril Lighthouse. Rick's Cafe is also a very short walk.

We're glad we broke our inclination to stay at Caribbean all-inclusives to stay at Citronella. This allowed us to meet some very nice people and eat and shop at some really "local" places. It was fun and we would definitely return to Citronella.

If you have questions or wish to see my Negril tips webpage, please send a private TripAdvisor message.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mel C
Mahwah
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Couldn't ask for a more perfect place. I've been going down every year for the past 10 years. Missed last year due to the fact that I had a baby. Boy do I miss it. Will definitely make it down this year. Place has been around since the mid 70's. Before all the hotels on the beach. Still has the old Jamaica vibe. Unbelievable place. Never feel so relaxed, without a care in the world. The feeling when I'm down there is indescribably. Jai (Mahwah,NJ)

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank needlejai
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Many thanks for the feedback in this review. Citronella is all about relaxation and privacy. We look forward to seeing this reviewer soon. Keep the feedback coming. We love to hear from you our treasured guests.
Factoryville, PA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

If you are interested in experiencing American consumerism that blights an amazing tropical island paradise, DO NOT come to Citronella. This place is not Sandals, or Beaches, or worse, Hedonism II. There are no manufactured structures where you have to pay extra for a tiny private balcony with ocean view; these are native design Jamaican cottages with palm thatched roofs. Only a low rock wall separates your spacious lanai from this aqua wonderland. Those lanais are large enough for you dining table, lounge chairs, end tables and, not to be forgotten, netted cotton hammock where it is thrilling to moon-bathe skyclad! Nobody can see you, no matter what their vantage point! Each cottage is built on one of the grass-topped cliffs that edge 70 feet deep water alive with benign sea life. The water is accessible by stone steps carved into the coral bluffs. There is no air conditioning here; each cottage is shuttered (not screened) and the open-to-the-elements windows are situated to allow the sea breeze flow through the cottage and cool you naturally. And, although I’ve never even seen a mosquito, each bed is equipped with mosquito netting….I supposed for that just-in-case moment.
This is privacy at its best. The staff, all native Jamaicans who've been with Citronella practically since the beginning, are discreet, yet seem to appear precisely when needed. Anything you need, they can provide.
This is paradise!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vrlc50
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this review, October 24, 2009
Once again thanks to all the TripAdvisor members who have shared their Citronella stories. This reviewer really hit the nail on the head to say that this place is NOT a Sandals, Beaches, or Hedonism type place. It's truly like having your own place on your own property that sits on a secluded paradise. You have your own private sea access so you can relax in total privacy yet when you're ready for some action, Ricks Cafe and LTU pub are just a short walk. There's also a multitude of water activities right at your back door. The cliff diving is one of my favorite things on the property. I've stayed many a nights at the Cave House to wake up with a nice cliff dive just a few short feet away from the porch that overlooks looks the crystal clear waters below and the Cave beneath the house is a treat to swim into and discover the underground beach inside which has some beams of light from the cave roof that light up the inside. I think I've mentioned this in other responses but it is worth mentioning again.
Naples Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2009

A great place to get away from everything and enjoy beautiful sunsets and quiet nights under the stars. We would spend the day swimming and snorkeling, and spend the night at Ricks Cafe just next store, or just relaxing.

I would definitely do it again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drew93
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Another 5 star review! Kudos again to Cathy and John for making Citronella such a great place to enjoy paradise. I wanted to point out a few things in this review. The quiet nights at Citronella on the cliffs of Negril under the stars are a memory I will never forget. I personally know exactly what this reviewer was feeling during those magical moments because I’ve been there sitting on those magical cliffs right outside the cottages so many times starring at the majestic Caribbean Sea with the sound of the little ripples beneath me. I really can’t do it justice to describe it. You just have to be there to truly understand. Citronella is truly unlike any other property I’ve stayed at in Negril and let me tell you I have stay at quite a few places there. The property is set up in such a way you start to feel like it is yours, your own little place, on your own little cliff, with your own private sea access and swimming cove in crystal clear waters surrounded by these magical cliffs and water caves. I don’t say this just because I work for Citronella. I truly feel this way. This was my opinion of Citronella long before I became the webmaster and long before I knew the owners. I think I mentioned this in some other responses but I will say it again that I discovered this place a decade or so ago and stayed there time and time again. Then I came to know the owners Cathy and John and let me tell you they are just great and really put their hearts and love into this property to make it what it is today.

On behalf of everyone at Citronella, we thank all the TripAdvisor members that have shared their stories and feedback.
Pottstown
Reviewed June 25, 2009

There was great anticipation as Trevor and his two faithful dogs guided us through the lush garden paradise of Citronella to the Round House, our cottage at the far end of the property. There was no disappointment either as we were led to a throw-back thatched hut perched at the top of cliffs overlooking the Western Caribbean. The water glittered like sapphire crystals and the cool breezes greeted us. Jennifer made sure we were comfortably situated and then we were left to a quiet, serene and beautiful vacation.
Citronella is all about location. We've stayed at several spots throughout Negril's west side but none topped the size, gardens and beauty of this place. It's had the same owners since the seventies and a veteran staff that is very helpful but unobtrusive. The place is very retro - in a charming way. Internet is available here but it's the only reminder of the modern times as Citronella congers up images of what Negril may have been like in the 60's and 70's.
The Round House has a very functionable kitchen, gas stove, refrigerator and utensils for make for great meals with the remarkable selection of fresh food available at the market and roadside stands. We recommend stocking up before arrival at the Hi Lo in Negril's town square (don't forget the Red Stripe and remarkable Appleton 12-year old rum!).
The place can get quite warm during the day as the sun hits the deck hard. It's great for sun bathing for a short while. After a while, we found ourselves going to back yard to the tree-shaded hammock with some iced tea or Red Stripe. The other drawback of the Round House were the steep ladder-like steps up to the bedroom in the loft. With the temptations of rum, Red Stripe and organic material ever present, the steps can be dangerous and daunting towards the evening. Fortunately, there are single beds on the first floor if the mind is working better than the body.
The only swimming pool is the big ole' Caribbean down the concrete steps from various points on the property. If you can swim, you'll have a great time as there are various points for diving and a large cave to explore underneath the Cave House. Snorkeling is also highly recommended.
Sunset is the nightly ritual here and there is NO better place to view it than Citronella. Tourists pay big bucks to view it at Rick's two doors down or on the various catamaran's and boats that wander up the cliffs by late afternoon. You'll find yourself laughing as you sip on your homemade Rum and Cokes in your own private paradise as you watch the show unfold.
We never had a more relaxing vacation.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bearlee
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Shucks we lost a star on this one but we're still really excited about this 4 star review and as you can read from the review, this reviewer had a great time here at Citronella. Almost all the comments from this review are positive and the reviewer also brings to attention that this cottage (the Round House) has a ladder like step system to the loft bedroom. It compliments the loft style of the cottage and most find it very easy to get into the loft. However, as the reviewer states, please be careful if you have had a few Red Stripes LOL. Also per the comment about the heat, at most times we have an ample amount of sea breeze to keep you comfortable in the cottage. However, we do get some hot weather and during the heat of the day when the sun is strong, it can get a bit hot. For this reason we stock the cottage with fans and also please note that the cottage is located just several steps away from your own private sea swimming cove in cooling crystal clear Caribbean waters. We have received many 5 star raving reviews about the Round House and it continues to be one of the most popular cottages on the Citronella property.
Manchester
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Having read the other reviews, we were expecting a lovely place, but it was much more than we expected. I am so glad we found Citronella, I would not have enjoyed Negril half as much if we had stayed on the beach.
We stayed in the A frame cottage for 14 nights, and it was better equipped than I expected for a wood structure. We had a coffee maker (and a constant supply of filters), fridge, enough basic kitchen equipment to cook a decent meal, outside electric supply, and enough fans to cope with the heat. The housekeepers were the best I have ever encountered. We got fresh bed linen and towels in abundance and the cleaning was ridiculously thorough but unobtrusive. Our cottage had an outside shower, which on first impression seemed odd, but it was the lovliest thing to have a shower outdoors (like Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific but with modern plumbing).
We felt like we were living in own sea front house rather than a holiday villa. We felt totally protected, but private at the same time. During our 2 week stay we checked out quite a few of the other cliff side properties and couldn't find anything that came even close to Citronella. Five cottages on an area this big is hard to find anywhere. Credit to John and Cathy for not letting financial greed spoil a beautiful thing!
Tip; the best jerk chicken in Negril is sold from a car park opposite Rick's bar about 100 metres from Citronella, but you have to be quick, he's sold out by 6pm most nights.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank linds61
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
Hi there this surfdust, manager of all things web for Citronella. We’re very pleased to have received yet another 5 star review. This story brings back memories because I spent my very first night ever in Jamaica in this same cottage (the A frame). It was the first basic shaping of my love for Jamaica and I returned to Citronella time and time again for years and that is how I came to know the owners (Cathy and John). The secret of Citronella’s success is the fact that Cathy and John care so much and work so hard to keep the property true to its reputation of a being a secluded and very private tropical paradise. Kudos to Cathy and John for a job well done!