“A little corner of paradise”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #48 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Our family of 5 (two parents, two teens and grandmother) has just returned from a magical week in the Cove House at Citronella. We cannot imagine a more beautiful setting for rest and quality family time. The Caribbean Sea gently wakes you in the morning, cools you in the hot lazy afternoon, mesmerizes you at sunset and rocks you to sleep at night. The underwater magic of tropical fish is just steps away via a private access to the sea. The lush tropical vegetation, beautiful flowers, birds and butterflies offer moments of magic and peace for the soul. The friendly yet discrete staff and owners went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and enjoying our stay. Accommodation is both rustic and posh – impeccably clean with crisp sheets and plenty of fresh white towels – true vacation bliss! Cove House provides both cozy privacy and ample space for gathering. We left rested and filled with emotion. We are already planning our return to Citronella.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank amandhla
surfdust, webmaster at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2009

Hi and thank you so much for your nice review. This is Dusty and I am the webmaster for Citro and for Cathy and Jon. Cathy wrote me and asked me to send you a personal thank you from her as well. I often visit Jamaica myself and the Cove House and the Cave House are my favorites and I know the magic feeling you speak of. I can't wait to get back in either. Thanks again and we very much look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 26, 2009

My husband and I decided to go to Jamaica for our Honeymoon (both had never been) we spent our first week at Point Village that turned out to be better than expected and our second week at Citronella in the A Frame. At this point we had our socks completely blown off. It was just as we had imagined and we instantly wished we had spent our previous week here aswell. Cathy and John (owners) are absolutely fabulous and every single person that works there went out of their way to make sure we were happy and comfortable. We were going to book at the Caves and chuckled to ourselves when we got to Citronella because it's practically next door! We will never forgot the wonderful experiences we had, we were truly humbled, everything was extraordinary! We very much look forward to our next trip to Citronella!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank onelovebc
surfdust, website manager at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2009

Thank you so much and we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Your experience here means a great deal to us and it is so good to know that we’re doing our job right. We also very much look forward to your return. Thanks again.

- Citronella Management

Reviewed January 24, 2009

I returned from a one week stay at this lovely property two weeks ago and have already made reservations for next year. This is a very special place. There are no air conditioners, tvs or phones. There are comfortable beds in large rooms that look out on pale blue waters where I scanned the waters every day for the dolphins that often play off the coast. There are comfortable hammocks that float with the gentle breezes. There are thunderous rainstorms that pound on the tin roofs of the cottages and stop just as quick as they start and leave the air refreshed and fragrant. There are large comfortable rooms open to the clifftop view where the nearest landmass, if you could see it, would probably the coast of Venezuela (or at least I like to think so). There are large comforable beds with clean crisp linens under ceiling fans that keep the air moving gently by as you sleep with the doors and windows wide open to the sea breezes. There are owners who have built the cottages with their own hands who have owned the property since the 1970's who live on the property who care if you are happy, who care who you are, who care about their emplyees, many of whom have been there a long, long time. These owners replaced a broken hammock within an hour, fixed a stopped up shower in 30 minutes, cut the fruit and made the blue mountain coffee and toasted the spice bread in the morning when the lovely lady of the kitchen was off. There is a lovely open air breakfast area where your fruit is cut to order, and spice bun toasted while you wait and sip your steaming coffee perfectly made. There are lovely ladies who come to clean the cottage every day, who bring you large fluffy towels daily and who give you a smile and a kind word. There are lovely ladies who clean so well a dust bunnie could not be found. There is no pool, only the sea that sometimes crashes about the cliffs and makes your heart pound to feel the power. There is no cement, only paths, each of them different, some of them tunnels of trees and flowers, some of them I wandered down by mistake and had to backtrack to find my path to my cottage, my chair, my place on the veranda where I spent hours watching the small Jamaican boats bobbing in the waves far away in the fair weather and closer when a dark front was threatening the horizen. There are gardeners and groundskeepers who help you with your luggage, who light the torches that provide the light along the paths at night and the large torch on the veranda of the round house at night. There are stars, wind and the sound of ocean to lull you to sleep. There are doors we never locked and showers open to the fragrant air. There is clear water 30 feet deep with white sand, blue, yellow, red, green,purple fish, and coral and caves to explore. There is so much more and I know it is there.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank flyjamaica
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Stayed at Citronella with a friend over Christmas for 3 nights. My 2nd time to Negril, and the property was not my desired choice, but places were very booked up. I was really pleasantly surprised by the location, gardens and overall style of the place. It is on the cliffs, just past (horrible) Rick's Cafe, and before you get to (lovely) Caves hotel. The gardens are superb, really beautiful, and I was amazed by how much green space there was. The cliff-side location is great, and swimming in the deep blue waters here excellent. My gripes are really over two things:
- though the design of the bungalows is charming, they are all pretty run-down, need a thorough clean and some urgent TLC. We stayed in 'Conch' and it hadn't seen a duster in a while, and the light in my bedroom didn't turn on. I reported this but nothing was done about it.
- and I don't think they should say they include breakfast if what they mean is a cup of coffee and a fruit kebab with 3 small pieces of fruit on it. We went elsewhere after the 1st morning.
This place could be terrific, it's very chilled out and would be good fun with a large group of people.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Fikoukla
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Stayed at the round house for 2 glorious weeks over Xmas. Without any question this is the best holiday experience we have encountered. Having been to Jakes we feel this brings a new angle on shabby chic. Yes the cottages are basic and do not have airconditioning ( our primary concern when booking this). Mosquitos love me and normally desend with knife and fork the minute I arrive. Now back home without a single bite.
The round house has an outside shower high ceilings with both floor and ceiling fan, its own kitchen and louvered windows to allow the breezes to flow through the cottage. There is a wraparound porch with views out to sea from every vantage point. And best of all your own very private access to the sea. The ladder for the sea approach meant you only had to go down about 3 steps before you were in. When you get out there is also your own private sea side shower.
We saw dophins swimming past a couple of times and just thoroughly enjoyed the tranquility of it all but knowing we could walk next door to ltu or to a variety of other restaurants as and when we chose. Be as amazed as we were that a place like this still exists where most other resorts would have built more units and compromised on the privacy of their guests to acheive the highest profit.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank victoriahill
Reviewed December 16, 2008

With property at a premium in Negril I didn't think a place like Citronella existed... but it does. On what I think looks like approximately 3 acres of cliff frontage, 6 thatched cottages look like individual residences. Not only are they nicely spaced from one another, they have individual sea access and beautiful grounds.

We stayed in the Cave House and loved it. Inside a large bed (king) with mosquito netting, 2 smaller beds, refrig, cooler, coffee maker, utensils, toaster, 2 ceiling fans, regular fan, hurricane lanterns and oversized wicker furniture. What more could a girl ask for... I was with the one I loved. The cottage has a rustic, timeless charm with a few modern conveniences. I am going to call it Rustic Chic. We used our porch more than any of the other spaces. Huge porch with a hammock, table and chairs and XL adirondack chairs. (loved them) The Cave House is a huge space especially for 2 people. The bathroom might be spartan for some but it's a nice size and clean. The shower has only one temperature knob but it's not too hot or cold. I looked at it as a green way to do things. Towels were plentiful and clean everyday. Nice mirror and a wicker shelf to hold everything. We weren't exactly roughing it. Outside there were places to lay in the sun or chairs for just chillin'. There was an outdoor shower to rinse the sea water away and stairs carved into coral with fossils everywhere. There is also a cool little bridge above the cave's entrance. One can view Rick's to North or the Caves and Light House to the South. The Light House is so beautiful at night. Rasta colors flashing like a heartbeat. This place is special. One funny thing, the guests from the Caves kept kayaking by to check our place out ;)

I asked housekeeper which were the best cottages and she kept vacillating between 3. Round House has the best sea access. The A Frame because its like a home (I thought it was the owners private home). Cave House just because of the cool cave underneath it. If I had to do it all over again I would stay longer and flip a coin on which cottage to stay at. They all have a special niche.

The staff were all fantastic!!! Everything was very clean and they were constantly working. The owners were helpful and always asked if we needed anything.

Things to be noted> Private sea access for all the cottages and the ladders were new or freshly painted. Good snorkeling in the cliffs, some of the best. They are getting wi-fi soon in the Great House (a communal space). It will probably expand into the cottages closest to GH. Citronella doesn't have a restaurant but continental breakfast during high season and a small breakfast menu. LTU Pub is next door. Wise Choice grocery is a small distance away to get Red Stripe, coffee, mosquito coils, dish soap and treats. I prefer DJ's grocery by the Banmark but it's a farther walk. Light House, Whoopies hammock park and Sexy Rexy's close by. Easy half mile walk to Out of Town Pastry (1 mile RT). Favorite restaurants this trip were Erica's and De Bar.

Negril has really grown since 1990 when I first started visiting. I really respect the owners for not commercializing their property. I am so happy I found this place. Its timeless and beautiful. You don't know if its 1989 or 2009. Your only clues are a few modern conveniences. It is for people who like space and natural habitats. To quote my husband "It's like being in a Corona commercial for 9 hours a day."

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skyjuiceGirl
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Unless you like camping you might want to look elsewhere. The Cave House room is on the cliff with a view but the fun stops there. There are no screens at all in this room, the mgr. says when the bugs come in then they have a way to get out. I suppose you could sit there on the foam rubber mattress under the mosquito net from dusk til dawn. The bathroom is completely open to the outside , anything smaller than a dog can walk right in. There are critter holes everywhere on the property. If you were 20 with a keg of beer and a bunch of friends maybe this will work for you.
For $187 a night you can find plenty of nice places to stay. Onestop Vacations reccomended staying here.

Stayed: December 2008
13  Thank Mass_Trout
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2009

We would like to inform our readers that this reviewer did not actually stay here. This reviewer was referred to the Citronella property because an overbooking at another property arranged by third party travel service OneStop Vacations. This reviewer was already rather frustrated with OneStop Vacations when he arrived due to the problems he experienced with his overbooking by them. We were actually only trying to assist OneStop Vacations travel service with their overbooking problem and we sort of ended up in the middle of this situation. Again he was already frustrated and he took a short look around our property and left without even staying or giving us a chance.

As you can see by our many great reviews, we have very happy customers here who truly appreciate the beauty, tranquility, and privacy that Citronella provides. It is truly a unique and beautiful experience for those seeking a private little paradise.

We certainly understand how frustrated this person was but at the same time he never actually stayed with us and we were only trying to help out with the problems he was having with his travel service that overbooked him at another property. We feel this review is very unfair but that is how it goes. We only wish this reviewer had actually given us a chance and we highly encourage our readers to see through this review and read on to our other reviews written by actual guests who have stayed with us.

I would also like to add that out of 22 reviews total, this is the only negative one. Thanks again to all the reviewers and readers out there who take the time to submit real feedback.