“Collette is a gem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Winnipeg
“Collette is a gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

By far the best meal I had in Negril was cooked by Collette at Citronella. At first we were unsure about the ordering process, but after talking to Collette, we understood that she would make whatever we wanted and we just needed to ask and tell her what time we wanted to eat.
So on our second day at the resort, we placed our order at breakfast - my husband and I asked her for a vegetable curry meal, our travelling companions ordered a giant salad and a fried chicken dinner.
We arrived to the Great House at 7:30, where Collette had set a beautiful table for us and we could smell our meals (heavenly) coming from the kitchen. The dinner was served by Collette and the personal touch and her beautiful personality made it a very special experience.
I'm posting photos of our meals, which were perfectly cooked and the taste was fresh and so delicious - we all raved about how good they were, and a photo of the lovely Collette.

I can't wait to get back to Citronella and experience more meals from her kitchen.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MsTree11

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed in the Cave House with our teenaged kids. The views from the porch are amazing - we saw stingrays, dolphins and long dark fish in the water from our balcony. We explored the cave with snorkels and even swam into the blowhole. Fresh breeze is soothing and we did not miss seeing the sunset from our porch each day. We enjoyed breakfast with Collette and Adrian in the dining area and had two dinners there with other dinners at surrounding restaurants which were also good - LTU and Catch a falling star. We bought groceries and fruit at nearby market and made our own lunches. Snorkeling equipment provided and floats available if you just want to swim. Snorkeling was excellent and we also enjoyed a trip to the reef with Roger and Kirk on Sun Baby glass bottom boat tour. Teenagers enjoyed jumping off cliffs into the water and visiting the puppy, Paris, on the property. We walked to Ricks for drinks one night but most of us preferred our peaceful porch over the crowds and the loud music. Would not bring young children here and would recommend everyone be a strong swimmer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Heather T
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

I knew we were in for a fantastic week at Citronella when I read all the great TripAdvisor reviews prior to booking. Rarely are my expectation exceeded, particularly when I already know everyone else loved a hotel. In this case, however, I could not have predicted how peaceful and private our visit would be. In other words, it was even better than I imagined.

We stayed at the Cove House and were rewarded with lovely bedrooms (read: four poster king sized bed), a large well-appointed indoor and outdoor space and a mind-blowing view. Oh, and did I mention privacy!?

We really had everything we needed at our cottage and only ventured out eat, get groceries and a few times to the beach. The owners have snorkeling equipment available upon request which was great because the reefs, even just below our own exclusive swimming area, were amazing. We also borrowed a blender and made fresh smoothies every morning from the very fresh local fruit we picked up at nearby stands. The kitchen is so well set up, we ate all of our breakfasts chez nous.

I was pleasantly surprised how utterly peaceful it was, except around 4-7 pm at neighbouring Rick's Cafe - but then it was quite good music so we enjoyed it. Otherwise, just the sound of birds, a bit of traffic going by in the daytime, and the calming ever-present waves. I’m happy to report that we never saw a single mosquito.

The staff were terrific and very accommodating. The onsite "Great House" is lovely and you can request any meal to be made for you which turned out to be among the best food we ate during our trip.

This was definitely the most relaxing trip I have ever taken, due in no small part to Citronella.

Room Tip: The Cove House can easily accommocate three couples (and a single if they don't need a private r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderlust A
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have been to Negril many times but this was the first time in a single house, and I would totally do it again. It forced us to leave the property and explore new resturants and activities. It really made us get to know Negril. Plus we grocery shopped and did drinks all day at the house which saved us so much money. Cooked great breakfast every morning which was great for those who want to stay with friends like. We rented scooters for the week to get around.
Trevor the land keeper was great also, he took us into the mountains on our scooters for a day trip. Was so beautiful.
The only thing I would say if you are going in the summer close up at nite because the creatures will get in. And watch the latters during rough water.

Maid service was awesome as well... Clean ever day and nite!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank melaniefh0205
Beldenville, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I have been to Jamaica several times, but this was our first stay on the cliffs, and it won't be our last. We booked the Cave House for 3 nights Feb. 9-12. When we arrived it was late, but Trevor was waiting to greet us and helped us carry our heavy things to our house. In the morning, walking out the front door took my breath away. I have never seen such a beautiful view of the turquoise Caribbean sea. It was absolutely magical. We were located directly on the cliff, with stairs carved into the stone to access the sea (each house has it's own private access). There were several places to stop and relax, including a wooden bridge and a stone landing. The sea was a bit intimidating at first, but it looks rougher than it actually is when you get in. Snorkeling and swimming was great. There are many places to go. We actually brought our fishing equipment as well, and had a few follows but nothing hit. Either way it was fun trying! Vincent would stroll by daily and check to see how we were doing.

When we go back, we will request to stay in the Cave House again. It could easily accomodate 4 people- there was 1 king size bed and 2 twin beds. I was surprised to see that it had a nice sized mini fridge, coffee maker, toaster, plates, glasses, cups, a few forks, spoons & knifes, large butcher knife, can opener, bottle opener, and a few plastic pitchers. Another item that was absolutely fantastic to see was a large Coleman cooler! We bought a case of Red Stripe and a case of Guinness and had them on ice the entire time. Every day we did need a few bags of ice to keep our beer cold, and Trevor was back with it right away. He really provides top-notch service. There is no TV or A/C, but I feel like these amenities would ruin the whole experience. There is no glass or screens on the windows, just wooden shutters to let the warm tropical air saturate the whole house. The bathroom was unique- you have to walk out the back door to get to it. Very charming! I counted 11 different types of lounge chairs on our porch and patio. 4 adirondack chairs, 2 loungers, 2 plastic patio chairs with a table (which was next to the grill), 2 wooden chairs with a table on the porch and a hammock (which my husband spend most of his afternoons in). The Cove House was closest to us, but with the rich green foliage all around it felt like we were really by ourselves in a charming cottage on the Caribbean Sea. The only time we ever saw our neighbors was right down by the sea access or if we bumped into them snorkeling! We even left our door wide open, and felt completely comfortable doing so, the entire time we were down by the water. From our patio you could see Rick's Cafe and the cliff jumpers through the trees. There was live music at night, but we found it enjoyable to listen too while sitting on the porch playing dominos and having a few Red Stripes, and it never went past 10:00pm.

Colette and the staff at the Great House are amazing- we had breakfast there every morning. It was exactly what we needed to enjoy our day. That was the only meal we ever ate there. There is free WiFi at the Great House, which we had to tap into every morning to check back into the 'real world'. The rest of the day we'd munch on snacks, then wander down the road and find a local spot for dinner. Every meal we had was fresh and amazing. The locals on the west end are very relaxed, no vendors except the morning guy walking the street selling bread. The only problem we ever ran into was a few people asking for a cigarette, and I don't even consider that a problem in my book. Go and see Garfield across the road- he is good company and a fantastic cook!

I can't wait to come back to Citronella with friends and family so they can experience this wonderful, picture-perfect place. It is a beautifully hidden gem with a safe, small cottage feel. To me, this is what and island vacation should be- no worries- no planning- no tourists- only 100% relaxation and tranquility.

Room Tip: The Cave House is on the outer most tip, so the other 4 houses are behind you, which really makes yo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sara E
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was my first time in Jamaica and my first time staying at Citronella--and it most certainly will not be my last. I travelled with 4 other adults, we stayed in the Cove House for seven nights and we had an amazing time. There are so many things that make Citronella an amazing, unique and wonderful place to stay - I'll do my best to sum up why succinctly.

The actual property is breathtakingly beautiful. It consists of five cozy bungalows (or six, if you count the Conch House as two bungalows) directly on the cliffs of Negril, along with a Great House for meals, with Wifi (although I think you are cheating yourself if you don't disconnect during your visit). Each bungalow has its own private swimming entrance, and fantastic views of the sunset. As mentioned previously, I stayed with four other adults at the Cove House, and we easily could have accommodated one more person. The Cove House includes a full kitchen, and Trevor was nice enough to supply us with a grill to use throughout our stay. We cooked a good deal of our meals; however, eating out in Negril is really affordable, so I don't believe having a kitchen is a necessity. My favorite part of the Cove House was the patio - 3 gorgeous wooden chairs, a table with seating for five, two loungers on the patio, a hammock and two loungers for tanning just off the patio - it was just the perfect location to enjoy the sun each day!

The staff is also amazing, and they really go out of their way to take care of you. Trevor, in addition to equipping us with a grill and additional supplies for our kitchen, answered all of our questions and gave us tips on the best ways to enjoy our stay. Adrian, Colette and Colette's daughter (I wish I caught her name!) took care of us each morning, serving us coffee, fresh squeezed OJ and a continental breakfast with warm smiles. And, on our last evening, Colette and her daughter prepared and served an amazing dinner in the Great House. And the two maids who came each day - both to clean and to make sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our stay - were incredibly warm and kind. And, of course, I can't forget Stella - the sweet property dog who came to visit us each night - but don't worry, she's very polite and if you don't like dogs she won't bother you. The staff are a big part of what makes the experience at Citronella so special.

One thing to keep in mind is that the water is not very calm - in fact, when you want to stop swimming and climb up the ladders, you need to swim with the tide. It wasn't a problem with our group, but we are all very strong swimmers. There isn't really a swimming location on the property for novices; but, then again, I don't think there's anywhere on the cliffs where novices can swim. Also - I imagine this property isn't great if you have children since all of the bungalows are directly on the cliffs. But adults and teenagers should be just fine.

In my opinion, Citronella is the perfect place to stay in Negril. It's not big or flashy, and there are not a lot of amenities; however, the grounds are beautiful, the staff are amazing and the views cannot be beat. If you are a laid back person looking to experience true Negril tranquility, then you must stay here!

Room Tip: The Cove House is the best house if you have more than 2 adults. The A frame is really close to Ric...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank JEmilyS
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Citronella is a small and lovely place - far enough from Negril to be isolated and detached and close enough by car to get to the beach anytime you like. This property is on the cliffs outside of town and is set-up as a series of bungalows each with its own design, water access and sea-view. There's a wonderful breakfast/dinner area which is also a library and wifi-access point. There's no regular restaurant but if you want something cooked just for you, there's a fantastic chef who will do whatever it takes to make your dining experience memorable.

This place is deliberately laid-back and peaceful. The water is a bit rough so its not a leisurely walk out to the water. If anyone were drunk or otherwise impaired, this could be a dangerous location. You're high enough above the water and rocks that if you fell in it would be challenging. This is definitely the wrong place to take kids and not the place to go if you want long-beach walks outside your door. I totally loved it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple