“Serenity In Solitude” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Negril
san francisco
“Serenity In Solitude”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I just returned from a 8 night stay at the Cove House, three days of which I was by myself and the next five days with a good friend and it was a perfect vacation. After a day or two my mind slowed down and I was able to relax. I thought I would not like being alone since I usually travel with my family and/or friends but it was a wonderful experience. I have stayed at many other places in Negril: Tensing Pen, Catcha, Rockhouse, Sea Grape Villas, Banana Shout and Idle Awhile. I don't even consider all inclusives. To me all inclusives are cement cities. The Grand Palladium looks like San Quentin. At night when you sleep at Citronella you hear the sound of the ocean, not the hum of air conditioners or the sound of tvs. No, no tv, no phone, no pool, no ac. Yes, magnificent views, bird sounds, ocean breezes, friendly smiles, great food, tropical gardens, clean comfortable beds, swimming and snorkeling just a few steps away, restaurants and bars within an easy walk, the beach a short cab ride: no contest. There is good wifi on the deck of the Cove House or in the Great House public area. A new restaurant is being built and will likely be open by winter that has killer views on the edge of the cliff facing the Caves. Meanwhile you can order dinner from Collette, the chef, or walk across the road to Kevin's Seasoned to the Bone Jerk stand, but go before sunset because he sells out and that is it. Ivans and LTU are within a short walk. Wise Choice Market is down the street and has just about every thing you will need from drinks to produce to sunscreen. Thank you to Trevor, Jennifer, Angela, Millie and Colette. Thank you John, Cathy and Adrian for not selling out Citronella and keeping it simple, beautiful and blissfully elegant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank sfjam
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy that given all the available accommodations in Negril that you chose us. We pride ourselves in NOT being your standard resort. Truly a place to come, relax and experience what Jamaica is really all about. Thanks again, and we hope to have you back!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Rock Hill, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our family of 5 just got back from our stay at Citronella. Let me say that pictures cannot do this place justice. The location is excellent, and the way that the resort is laid out gave us much desired privacy. While this is not a "fancy" resort, it is one of the most relaxing and comfortable places we have ever stayed. The staff is very helpful and friendly without being overbearing. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We stayed at the Conch house for one night and the Cave house for 4 nights. We definitely preferred the snorkeling and the location of the Cave house, but you can't go wrong with either one. Our kids had a great time, and told us this was the best vacation ever. I wish I could give this place more than 5 stars....can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ERICRockHill_SC
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks so much for the glowing review! So glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed at Citronella with a group of friends and had a very relaxing time. Citronella is perfect if you want to get away and not have to deal with a "tourist"-type vacation ambient. It's a good place to disappear to and escape the ongoings of the outside world. I stayed in the Cove House and the view is so beautiful overlooking the cliffs. The blue water is gorgeous and quite a sight to wake up to every day. You can always hear the water and waves lapping. It is so serene. This is a good place for those that like to cliff jump, snorkle, and spearfish. A pool would have made me enjoy the experience more, but there isn't one on-site. There is Wi-Fi in the Main House (and a cool blow hole).

The Staff: In the Main House, is Derek, who is sweet and always very helpful in the mornings and later whenever I asked for anything. Collete makes the Best. Fried. Chicken. I've never had better friend chicken. (You must try it)! She also made this amazing plantain appetizer with tomatoes. Heaven. Adrian is friendly and welcoming to the property. Trevor went out of his way to assist us and answer any questions we had. Milly is pure joy. She always had a smile on her face and made sure we had everything we needed in our cottage. I want to return to Citronella and next time I'd like to stay at the A-frame. It was my favorite cottage on-site. Oh, Jamaica. How I miss you.

Room Tip: The big bedroom in the back of the Cove House is massive. The front bedroom has a beautiful view. Us...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write the great view. So glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

About us: We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 8 year old and 4 year old) and found Citronella very picturesque, relaxing and private. We spent 7 nights at Citronella (6 nights in the Round House and 1 night in half of the Conch house).

Cottages: The 5 cottages, which are unique from each other in terms of size, layout, and accommodations (e.g., size of beds, layout, full kitchen or just mini-fridge). All have private access to swimming.

Location: We loved that it was removed from the 7 mile beach area and amongst the Cliffs (what I would say is more of the "real" Jamaica). It's still close enough to many resorts so that you can walk or get a quick cab for dinners.

We really did love our experience, but this place might not be for folks who want every convenience typical of say, a U.S. hotel or some of the "sanitized" hotels that are newer and would probably rob you of a more authentic Jamaican experience. We had room temperature showers and the power went out a few times (never for more than an hour or so). There are no TV's in the cottages or wi-fi (but there's wi-fi in the super charming Great House). The sheets and mattresses could use some updating. These "negatives" if you want to call them that did not bother us all that much, as Citronella is so unique in the layout, the service (really great staff and owners, as mentioned in other posts), and I feel like it is priced very appropriately. The very exclusive property, "The Caves" is next door. I have a hard time believing that spending 4 times as much really affords you that much more luxury. The best thing about Citronella (and, I suppose) the Caves, is the location!

I think the only way I would give one more star would be if they had a pool (not sure that is feasible or realistic), had hot or warm water for showers, was further away from the road, and had maybe more comfortable mattresses and linens. I'm being VERY picky here, but just trying to be honest. It really is about expectations, right?

Tip for folks with little kids: The swimming and snorkeling at Citronella can be choppy (always beautiful to look at and listen to, of course), but we could only swim maybe half of the days we were there. That might be typical or atypical - not sure. So, on one of our days, we went to Rick's at noon and had lunch and drinks while the kids swam in their pool (which is totally fine - pool is open for guests). Although things get crazy in the later afternoon and evening (tour busses drop people off), the kids had the pool almost entirely to themselves for a few hours.

Room Tip: 5 cottages really vary in accommodations - depends on the size or your group. You can't go wron...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lynn,
Just wanted to thank you for your review. We appreciate your great review and the recommendations. While we admit, we may not be the right resort for everyone, especially those seeking the creature comforts of a standard U.S. or big box hotel, it's reviews like yours which help other guests make the right decision on the best accommodations which suit their particular style. Thanks again for taking the time to write the great review!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our Citronella experience was so much more than my husband and I had expected! The relaxed ambiance of this place just takes your breath away. It is an extremely private establishment. The staff members were great, very helpful and pleasant. I had a chance to meet the owners of Citronella, Cathy, John and their talented son, Adrian. I don't think that i have ever met a more dedicated, involved, and passionate "group" of business owners. Thank you all for creating such a special place! I spent the best week of my life at Citronella.

• Stayed March 2013
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We're so happy that you had such an enjoyable and memorable stay. We look forward to having you back!
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just got back from the best family vacation. There is only one word needed - Paradise! This place is amazing and so relaxing. Cathy, John and all the staff are so nice and very helpful. Anything you need they always had an answer or a recommendation. It was so peaceful to hear the waves at night and the views are amazing. We stayed in the Cove house and it was perfect. If I had to find one downside it would be the water pressure but the upside was that our kids (and us too) thought it was the neatest thing to put their bathing suits on and take an outdoor shower so no real downside. We had so much fun and can't wait to go back. Breakfast was very good and good size portions. We did venture outside the gates to taste the local cuisine. There is a man that cooks jerk chicken right next to Mr. Fix It and it was very good and cheap. The little store down the street from Citronella had all that you needed at decent prices and are very nice. I just wish there was a rating better than excellent - This is truly a hidden gem. Thank you so much to all for making our vacation the best ever!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing Citronella and taking the time to write such a wonderful review. So glad you enjoyed your stay!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Thank you Citronella for yet another amazing experience! I have been staying with you since the 80"s, and I am more in love with this beautiful place every time. From the welcoming staff and accommodating owners John and Cathy,you will want for nothing. The view from our porch of the cove house is simply breathtaking, and the water feels like silk.This year we hosted a dinner party at the great house for a very special friends birthday. Adrian came up with an amazing menu, the meal was the best we had all week . The attention to detail and many extra touches made the night flawless and unforgettable! I can hardly wait to come back to the place that always makes my heart happy! Thanks again , Laurie Bettinger.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thanks Laurie for taking the time to write the glowing review. And for choosing Citronella as your vacation destination time and time again. We hope to have you back again and make the next visit even better than the last!