“simply paradise”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #44 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Williamsburg, Virginia
“simply paradise”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed at citronella for the first time in May. It was a amazing week. Very relaxing, beautful and my every need was met. Sun sets was breath taking and it felt like i could touch the stars in the sky. The atmostphere was very relaxing and private. The staff was awsome and catered to my every need. The food prepared by J.T. was to die for, he is a great host. Im already planning my return trip.

Donna Incorminias

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank donna i
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your review, I am glad you have had such an amazing time at out family resort. Having JT there is a bonus to us, you never know what he might be cooking up in the kitchen. Hope to see you back in paradise real soon thanks! ......one love.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Attica, Michigan
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband & I have been coming to Negril for 13 years & we stayed at Citronella for the first time in Feb, wanting to try something new. We are not about the all inclusive places. We like to totally relax in a peaceful, beautiful, private atmosphere & we got all of that and more here! We are already planning our trip back next year. John & Cathy & the whole staff are so wonderful, they truly make you feel right at home. We stayed in The Cove House & it was so great. We showered in our cliff shower & the water pressure was perfect, what better than to shower by the sea!! The views are incredible here & you feel like you are on your own private island. I cannot say enough great things about Citronella, I am just counting the days until we return!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie C
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Showering on the cliff side, over looking crystal clear turquoise blue water can be very addicting, my tiled shower at home just doesn't add up any more. I am so glad to here you guys had a great time, and got to enjoy our peaceful way of living here at citronella. We hope to see you and your family many more times in the future, and we will always promise never to disappoint you.......to you and yours, from us here at citronella thank you very much!.....one love!
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed a week in the Roundhouse Mid-April, and are just now getting over the denial of being home... What can be said about this resort that hasn't already been said? To put it as simply as i can, Citronella is perfection!
If your looking for an AI, buffet style resort then don't stay here. This place is where they invented the word 'vacation'. It was beautiful, relaxing, homey and exceeded our expectations in every way. The property is very safe and well kept, It has that rustic laid back charm, and if we needed anything we only had to ask. The cottages were all very unique and had their own stairs in the cliffs down to the water, they all looked very nice and the Roundhouse was no exception. The snorkeling around the cottages was phenomenal and we spent a lot of time in the water exploring the large area around the property. They even had snorkel gear you could borrow at no charge. There were caves of all shapes and sizes too in the coral cliffs, one extended inland all the way to the Great house.
People have mentioned the water pressure thing, which was kind of the case, but it did not bother us any as the grotto shower was another great feature. There was a bit of construction going on during our stay, but it was not something that interfered with our vacation at all.
Last but not least, the staff here is out of this world. Special thanks to John & Adrian for making us feel so welcome and relaxed. JT and his Wife came up with the most amazing Dinner for us after our wedding, we will never forget it. Don't forget to ask them about getting a dinner or 3 with the freshest local seafood, you wont regret it. Skipper, Trevor, Millie and everyone were really great. Jennifer even came to our wedding as a witness! We can't wait to return, we felt so at home here. Don't change a thing, and Thanks.

Room Tip: They all looked good.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Worshington
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
We really appreciated your review. I want to say congratulations to both of you for getting married, and we our glad that you did it at our resort. You two are a beautiful couple and we loved having you. We hope to see you and your family again in the near future, thanks so much....one love!
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at Citronella for the first time, for 5 days in April and had a wonderful experience. We had read many of the reviews before we went and having visited Negril many times, were both looking forward to staying here. All of the staff are brilliant, JT does an excellent breakfast and will cook evening dinner from freshly caught fish when you want. We stayed in the Roundhouse, which is really private with wonderful views and a beautiful garden.
Only one downside and could be a problem for some is the water pressure in the showers. When we were there, the drought had reduced the stream of water to almost a trickle, but it is not a permanent problem and should not deter you from staying here. We will return to Citronella and highly recommend it to anyone who wants a private, idyllic place to stay on the cliffs.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Spottycatz
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the review. You have to love the fresh fish dinners done by JT they are simply amazing. Nothing in my book beats fresh caught that day fish that were swimming just hours ago. We do apologize about the water pressure but it is now fixed and we have plenty of pressure. It was a hard time for all of negril and surrounding areas during the drought, but now the rains have been falling for quite some time and all is back to order. Hope to see you again soon....One love.
Louisville
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I arrived to Citronella on April 14, 2012, and upon seeing my accommodations, I was more than satisfied. Although I'm used to the all-inclusive type of vacation, the Citronella experience brought about an entirely new and pleasant experience.

The property is situated right on the West-End cliffs, and each of the cottages has a private entrance into the ocean. This by far, was a real treat for me, as I enjoyed swimming in the Caribbean Ocean, each and every morning.

Aside from the beauty of the property, I must commend John, Cathy, & Adrian, JT & Skipper for "great food, and all of the other great staff for superb services. I will indeed make Citronella one of my favorite Jamaica escapes in time to come.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank James R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I think Citronella is best to rate in bullet points, however, let me say, that this was easily the most peaceful trip I have ever been on. I was blown away by how friendly the staff was on our trip. You have to keep in mind, this is not a luxurious resort, however, for the price you are paying it is an amazing value.

The Bad:
--Water pressure. We went when there hadn't been rain for 3 months. Water pressure was low. It didn't bother me at all-- just showered in the cliff showers (amazing), however, I can see some people being bothered by it. We drank water at all the restauarants as well as Citronella and had no issues.
--Lights. We stayed in the Conch house (two couples). We would have really liked more lights inside the house. As well as on the property. It is REALLY dark, however, we still felt very safe. And because it was dark, the stars were literally amazing.
--Mirrors. Sorry... vain of me. However, a full sized mirror would have been nice.

The Good
--Literally steps away from BEAUTIFUL private cliffs
--Safety. We didn't even really lock our house. We left stuff out. etc. There was no problem. The only people on the grounds are guests or the staff. We left ipods out while we snorkeled, shoes out on the porch when we slept, there were no problems. We also felt safe in terms of no strangers came in.
--The staff. Adrienne, John, JT, Skip---all wonderful. This made Citronella extra special and really made us feel a part of the place. Adrienne showed us how to cliff dive, let us use a bunch of snorkeling gear (free of cost), led us into this really cool cave "blow hole" area underneath the restaurant. It was all truly special. JT cooked us fresh tuna, made amazing breakfasts, etc. Staff was wonderful.
--The view. It was hard to leave the place to get dinner, because you can't top the view. At night, Jelly fish (ones that were harmless) came to the surface by the cliffs and you could see them light up. It looked like flashing Christmas lights in the water.
--The property. Very clean. The cleaning staff really swept/cleaned up after us. Yet they were never bothersome. There are also many hammocks and areas to sit, chill, hang out, etc.
--Snorkeling. There is a beautiful coral reef right in front of the property. No boat required. We swam multiple times in the Ocean. Waters warm, safe (no sharks or anything). We watched the sunset from the ocean, it was amazing.

I could go on and on about what made it an amazing trip, but I swear-- so much of it was due to Citronella, the staff and property. Again, this is a rustic place. It is not fancy. If you go expecting to be waited on and air conditioning, you will not like it. There are little gecko guys walking around, but not really any bugs at all.

...okay I'm cutting myself off there. Overall, very relaxing, safe, rustic, and beautiful. I highly suggest it and I'd love to go back.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Conch house (cheapest). Most rustic and great value. Loved it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank slinger6
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I visited Citronella for the first time just under a month ago for 5 days on a spur of the moment trip to what I would call paradise. This was a trip with two friends and I had no expectations in mind other than good laughs and relaxation. Citronella definitely surpassed my expectations. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The resort is simply amazing. The views and landscape are gorgeous and exactly what I had hoped for. In the past, I have done the all inclusive "Americanized" type resort and have left feeling unimpressed. Citronella is a place where you can go experience and live in the "real Jamaica." You are only steps away from the crystal blue water and awesome snorkeling.
Be sure to have breakfast at Citronella, the banana pancakes and eggs benedict were my favorites. I really enjoyed venturing outside of the resort to other local restaurants and beaches. There is no question in my mind that I will be returning to Citronella in the near future and cannot wait!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends