All reviews round house ltu pub rick's cafe complete privacy west end every morning cliff diving colette cottage caves property sunset ocean jamaica vacation duplex snorkel
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I think Citronella is best to rate in bullet points, however, let me say, that this was easily the most peaceful trip I have ever been on. I was blown away by how friendly the staff was on our trip. You have to keep in mind, this is not a luxurious resort, however, for the price you are paying it is an amazing value.

The Bad:
--Water pressure. We went when there hadn't been rain for 3 months. Water pressure was low. It didn't bother me at all-- just showered in the cliff showers (amazing), however, I can see some people being bothered by it. We drank water at all the restauarants as well as Citronella and had no issues.
--Lights. We stayed in the Conch house (two couples). We would have really liked more lights inside the house. As well as on the property. It is REALLY dark, however, we still felt very safe. And because it was dark, the stars were literally amazing.
--Mirrors. Sorry... vain of me. However, a full sized mirror would have been nice.

The Good
--Literally steps away from BEAUTIFUL private cliffs
--Safety. We didn't even really lock our house. We left stuff out. etc. There was no problem. The only people on the grounds are guests or the staff. We left ipods out while we snorkeled, shoes out on the porch when we slept, there were no problems. We also felt safe in terms of no strangers came in.
--The staff. Adrienne, John, JT, Skip---all wonderful. This made Citronella extra special and really made us feel a part of the place. Adrienne showed us how to cliff dive, let us use a bunch of snorkeling gear (free of cost), led us into this really cool cave "blow hole" area underneath the restaurant. It was all truly special. JT cooked us fresh tuna, made amazing breakfasts, etc. Staff was wonderful.
--The view. It was hard to leave the place to get dinner, because you can't top the view. At night, Jelly fish (ones that were harmless) came to the surface by the cliffs and you could see them light up. It looked like flashing Christmas lights in the water.
--The property. Very clean. The cleaning staff really swept/cleaned up after us. Yet they were never bothersome. There are also many hammocks and areas to sit, chill, hang out, etc.
--Snorkeling. There is a beautiful coral reef right in front of the property. No boat required. We swam multiple times in the Ocean. Waters warm, safe (no sharks or anything). We watched the sunset from the ocean, it was amazing.

I could go on and on about what made it an amazing trip, but I swear-- so much of it was due to Citronella, the staff and property. Again, this is a rustic place. It is not fancy. If you go expecting to be waited on and air conditioning, you will not like it. There are little gecko guys walking around, but not really any bugs at all.

...okay I'm cutting myself off there. Overall, very relaxing, safe, rustic, and beautiful. I highly suggest it and I'd love to go back.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Conch house (cheapest). Most rustic and great value. Loved it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank slinger6
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I visited Citronella for the first time just under a month ago for 5 days on a spur of the moment trip to what I would call paradise. This was a trip with two friends and I had no expectations in mind other than good laughs and relaxation. Citronella definitely surpassed my expectations. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The resort is simply amazing. The views and landscape are gorgeous and exactly what I had hoped for. In the past, I have done the all inclusive "Americanized" type resort and have left feeling unimpressed. Citronella is a place where you can go experience and live in the "real Jamaica." You are only steps away from the crystal blue water and awesome snorkeling.
Be sure to have breakfast at Citronella, the banana pancakes and eggs benedict were my favorites. I really enjoyed venturing outside of the resort to other local restaurants and beaches. There is no question in my mind that I will be returning to Citronella in the near future and cannot wait!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diana W
Reviewed April 5, 2012

What can I say...Citronella is nothing short of amazing! I was lucky enough to get to experience this piece of paradise twice. The first time I went, back in 2009, I had an amazing time and didn't know if it could get any better. I was wrong; I just got back two weeks ago and somehow managed to enjoy it even more...if that's possible! It's so laid back, the property is absolutely beautiful, the staff are amazing, and the breakfast you can order at their restaurant is to die for! I definitely will make it back to Citronella for a third time...you know what they say...third times a charm! ;)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ofrench
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed in the resort with my wife and my friends for 5 days. It is a superb laid back resort with a excellent location very near the ocean. Everything was nice and the service from the staff was fantastic. It is absolutely a place we will return to without any question.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Volger H
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Much thanks, we work very hard to create such beautiful grounds, and provide excellent service. We hope to see you again very soon....one love.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed in the Cove House for two nights at the end of our trip and please let me tell you we did not want to leave!!! I cannot express to you the beauty of this property and it's surroundings. There were four of us and we had an amazing time just relaxing and enjoying the natural beauty of Jamaica from our porch while catching glimpses of cliff divers at Rick's Cafe. The house was nicely decorated and very comfortable. Sleeping with the ocean winds whipping through the house was beyond perfect. If you are looking for a fancy cater to you resort than this place is not for you, but if you want to experience the true beauty of Jamaica then Citronella is the place go! We will be returning!!!

Room Tip: Cove House!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kimnei01
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

We are glad to see that you have had a wonderful time with us here at citronella, it means a lot to us. We pride ourselves on being more of a private, and layed back resort. To us, this is how everyone should experience the "real jamaica", and from our family to yours, we thank you very much and hope to see you again very soon....one love.