“We loved it”

Ansell's Thatch Walk Cottages
Ranked #23 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We have been going to Negril for 6 years now always go for the month April. We have stayed at many different location but come back to Ansell's no it is not a 5 star but the staff make up for that . These cottages are your basic one room with bathroom and cooking area the cooking area consist of a 2 burner stove on oven what I call a bar fridge but we found is that at the reasonable price you pay for your stay we cooked our breakfast and lunch and could afford to go out on the town for our dinners. The fridge is perfect for your bacon and eggs , bread , butter and left plenty of room to cool your red stripe lol shopping is very close just a 5 minute walk to town. Rooms are very clean and washer and dryer available at the main house , main house can also be rented it is 3 bedrooms , 2 bathrooms , living room dinning room full kitchen . If you are on a budget I would suggest you try Ansell's Thatch Walk you wont be disappointed .

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank bejeweled
There are newer reviews for Ansell's Thatch Walk Cottages

Reviewed May 23, 2009

Barbara & Tim stayed at Ansell's Cottage in April 2009 and Wow! What convenience, cleanliness, Service and an overall wonderful experience. This is the Condo to stay in.
Directly on the beach, cooking area, Frig, privacy and just one excellent experience.

You cannot go wrong staying at Ansell's Thatch Walk Cottages.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nedlob
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My partner had stayed at Ansells 10 years ago and loved it then. This time round we arrived in Negril looking for accommodation and was pleased to find Ansell and Fay were still there. We were only going to stay a couple of nights but ended up staying a whole week. The other reviews are very informative so I'll just add in a few bits. The location is ideal from the town area. The place is small so its not difficult to find your way around by foot. We ate at a place called Ocean Breeze every night which is behind a hotel (can't remember the name) but the best access is from the beach anyway. Great food and service depending on who the waiter is. I have never stayed in a place like Ansells before and I'm glad I did. There are not many places where you can eat breakfast on the verandah looking out onto the ocean for $60 a night. The rooms and kitchens are basic but thats not a bad thing. You just need to bring your own washing up liquid etc. The overall experience is worth it. The only word of warning is do not open the door if anybody knocks in the middle of the night. There wasn't always a guard on at night. Do not leave things out on the porch unless you don't want them anymore. It is noisy at night because of all the other hotels playing music until all hours. We used earplugs.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Munbun
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I just wanted to say this place was great, my little cottage was right on the beach. I could look out my door and see the ocean. If you are on a budget, this is the place to stay. Don't expect luxury, because it's not...but the locals in Negril or great...this was perfect for me and my girlfriend and the time...she is now my wife...THEY WILL TREAT YOU GOOD

THE ROOSTER WAS THE ONLY BAD THING, well the water pressure wasn't that great...but if you are just chillin...you should have a problem-NO PROBLEM MON'

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rico77Minneapolis
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We stayed at Ansell’s for 4 nights from March 6 - 10 , 2009. Overall we loved our time in cottage #6, but then again how could you not enjoy being 90 steps away from the sea in Negril.
Pros and Cons:
Pros:
Ninety steps from your front porch to the sea.
Cottage was rustic. The bed was very comfortable. A lot of the private hotels use a thick foam for the mattress. It is great to sleep on.
Wonderful cable.
Water pressure was good.
Fay and Ansell were very nice people. Fay is Ansell’s cousin. They live on the property. They left you alone, but were always around. If you needed anything like toilet paper, fresh towels, bathroom soap or more kitchen pots, all you had to do was ask and they would supply.
All the units have ceiling fans and some have air conditioning ($).
All the windows are screened in so you can feel free to leave them open for the nice breeze and to hear the beach waves. Jan., Feb., and March are traditionally more windy, therefore, you don’t need air conditioning. We covered the door with mosquito netting to stop flies or anything else could bite.
You can park your scooter or vehicle right beside your cottage. Its especially convenient when you have a lot of groceries to carry.
It is quite wonderful to sit on your front porch and watch the sunset into the sea right in front of you.
There are no mosquitos.
It is easy to walk into town from the property.
The window next to the door has bars on it to discourage intruders which must have been a problem in the past.
There is an outdoor shower to rinse yourself after you come off the beach.
We had a small plastic wash basin where we rinsed our feet to take off the access sand.
Cons:
You need to bring your own beach towels.
Shower late in the afternoon because they have solar heated hot water and that is the only time it is hot. The water pressure is good though.
There is no clock or phone in the units. We brought our own battery operated alarm clock. Don’t bring a plug in alarm clock because it will constantly loose time. Jamaica operates on 50 khz where North America operates on 60 khz.
There are no safes on the property. It would be nice to be able to put your passport, credit cards, drivers license, camera and money in one. It just gives you that extra piece of mind.
Ansell and Fay live on the property so they are there all day. At night they have a security guard, Mr. Brown. On our last night we had a pair of North Face shorts stolen from a chair on our front porch. Mr. Brown told us that he remembered seeing the shorts on our porch and it must have happened at 5:30 am when he went to the bathroom. This was the only time we left anything out on our porch overnight. It left us with a very uneasy feeling about Ansell’s Thatchwalk Cottages. My husband mentioned to Fay that morning that he had a pair of shorts stolen from the front porch, she was upset that Mr. Brown had not told her about the incident before he had left that morning.....hmmm!
Although they provide you with a clean unit, they do not have a daily maid service. They do provide you with a broom to sweep your front porch and cottage. It would have been nice to have been told this either on their website or by someone when we arrived. We have stayed at other small private properties and a maid service is usually available. I am not a picky person, yet it would be nice if every other day someone came and cleaned the cottage or at least changed the bed sheets and towels.
The units with kitchenettes are provided with minimal dishes, cutlery, glasses, pots and pans. I do mean minimal. You’ll be hard pressed to cook more than two dishes at a time. I suggest to bring your own ziplock bags for food, cutting board and knife. We brought our own dish soap, sponge, dish towel, small coffee filters and condiments. The propane stove only has 2 burners, you need a lighter to light them.
Unfortunately tourists and locals treat Ansell’s as a public access to and from the beach. People that are not staying on the property freely walk or drive from the street through the property. Beach venders walking along the beach can easily walk up to the cottages without being asked to leave the property. The Jamaicans hustle the single women in front of Ansell’s on the beach all day long.
Ansell’s has no beach chairs. They have one concrete table and bench.
Tourists staying next door at Sheild’s Negril pull their beach chairs in front of Ansell’s and take over the beach.
Sandy Park which is just down from Ansell’s has an outdoor concert which ends at 2 am every Sunday night. We like to go to bed early at night and get up at 5:00 a.m. to enjoy the day. I’m a light sleeper and got no sleep as the drunk tourists were returning to their hotels shouting after the concert. I wished that I had brought my bull horn, so I could greet them at 5 a.m. with “Get up you bunch of drunk idiots, it’s morning! Get up! Get up! No time to sleep now”. LOL!!!

Ansells’ is a quick 5 min. walk from Negril. We had a great time walking into town to get fresh fruit and vegetables.
If you go to the bridge over the Negril river at about 2 p.m. you can buy fresh fish as the fisherman come back with their catch. We paid $300 JA ($3.75 US) per pound for whitling. The fishermen will clean and cut the fish for you. Three pounds fed four people. The fresh fish was exquisite.
We like feeding the stray animals when we vacation. We brought canned cat food and small milk bone dog treats. Ansell’s has 2 puppies, 2 adult dogs, chickens and as all the properties do, ferrel cats. We bought rice at the grocery store to feed the chickens. The chickens were always at our cottage as the sun came up and it was just a nice way to start the day.
Overall we had a good time. No where in Negril can you stay in such an affordable cottage with a kitchenette and air conditioning on the beach.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank OriginalLovebirds
Reviewed July 14, 2007

You wont find anthing cheaper. It is directly on the beach. My cottage had a small crude kitchen with two burner gas camp stove and fridg. I had a TV and air conditioning. It is very Hostel like so if you like the Ritz. This is not the place for you. It is however an inexpensive stay directly on the beach. In easy walking distance to hotel restaurants on beach. Cabs are cheap and frequent to hail on main road. I enjoyed the experience, glad I ruffed it for this trip and experienced some local flavor. However if I went back to Nigril I would recomend an all inclusive situation. Dealing with the public just looks a little dangerous at times. That being said I was careful and had no problems. Ask the groundskeeper to pick and roast you some breadfruit. You wont get that at the Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank paulrob
Reviewed February 14, 2007

If you like a low budget place without all the frill this is your spot, there are kitchenetts, 2 beds patios and lots of beach to use. there are only 11 units on the property 4 duplex and one 3plex, there is also a house set in the back for rent, I loved the fact that we could be right on the beach without a ton of other people but just step away from great places to eat and be merry lol. They have people that come and stay for a month or more and I noticed alot of American-Jamaicans stay there when they come to see their familys. The staff was great, grounds well kept. very basic units but what more do you need, unless you go to Negril to spend all your time in your room!!!!

Stayed: February 2007