“A Real Life Secret Garden”

Barney's Flower & Hummingbird Garden Jamaica
Ranked #7 of 58 things to do in Negril
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Private tropical house-garden (1/4 acre) with an abundance of exotic plants and flowers - a natural habitat for Jamaica's unique hummingbirds - no nets, no cages - We can accommodate up to 6 visitors for one session (60min) - Reservation required For more details please visit our homepage
Aurora, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A Real Life Secret Garden”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This was the only "must do" on my vacation and I have to say that it was a truly magical experience. I walked through these beautiful gates only to be greeted by Barney and his assistant, who's name I forgot, but was by far the sweetest young man. They said to set your stuff down, relax and wonder, therefore, I did just that. I saw so many hummingbirds and other fascinating species of birds. The gardens are absolute perfection. Barney brought me a most delicious glass of passion fruit juice that he picked from his garden that was just incredibly refreshing. He and his assistant were beyond wonderful hosts and they were so excited to see the excitement I had when I saw the birds. In my opinion, Barney's Hummingbird Garden is a MUST SEE!! To experience a real life Secret Garden was a memory that I will never ever forget. I smile as I write this just thinking of that magical day. Thank you for creating such an oasis of beauty, Barney.

Visited May 2014
6 Thank Kara K

• Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Surprising Humming Bird Garden in Negril!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I recently visited Barney's Hummingbird Garden and it was such a treat! I loved his front gate, his gardens were beautiful and Barney himself was so entertaining and inviting. You can tell he takes a lot of pride in his gardens and I was happy to see hummingbirds I have never see before zooming so close to us! He also made us some DELICIOUS hand squeezed juice from his garden. I would highly recommend this beautiful garden!

2 Thank Kelsey C
New York, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Negril's Best Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I live in Negril and must say I am so excited to have found this attraction. We were greeted by the garden's hospitable owner, Barney, who has a great sense of humor and is extremely personable. This is a refreshing experience considering the many miserable business owners in town, specifically those who could care less about having your business. Not Barney, though, he struck me to be extremely appreciative of his visitors and seems that he'd like to spread the word on his garden. After being greeted with a homemade fresh juice, Barney will offer you a tour of his flora and fauna, which he has taken years caring for. Guests can spend the whole afternoon photographing this place. The birds, of course, are the main attraction, but the landscape is not to go unnoticed! Guests must keep in mind the birds are still wild animals, and so while they are friendly and visible, visitors should not be disappointed if they are unable to physically interact with them. It is Mother Nature, after all! Do yourself a favor and take an hour or two to visit Barney and his furry friends. This attraction requires very minimal travel time, is extremely affordable in admission prices, and it's truly a hidden gem located right in Negril. Looking forward to coming again, Barney! Five stars all around! - Angi

9 Thank AngelaEastwick
Ipswich, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't miss this”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

If you are looking for something a little different than the usual in Negril don't miss this 1 1/2 to 2 hour visit to Barney's Garden. Barney lives there also; he is German and came to Jamaica 25 years ago as a tour guide for German tourists. He never went home. Yes the little birds really do eat out of your hand. Try to go in the morning or around 4:00 PM (best feeding times) and call before you go. He likes to limit the visitors so the birds are not spooked so it might not be the best place for little children unless they are well behaved and quiet. Barney really tries hard to make your visit the best, even calling the birds with a feeder in his hand, AND THEY CAME! It's right down the street from Rick's so try Barney's than Rick's for the sunset. Nice afternoon ! (and we have visited Jamaica 25 times) We have added a few pics, one is with Barney at his gate. Have fun, he was a delightful and knowledgeable host. Dave and Kathy W.

8 Thank David W
Lynchburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A very special, beautiful place”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I recently visited this lovely oasis with my husband and 2 of our friends. It was a beautiful morning and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience. "Movie Star" picked us up from our hotel and drove us to the garden (Barney provides transportation if you need it). We were staying at Couples Negril and it was about a 20 minute or so ride to get there. When you arrive you have no idea that such a lovely place exists inside the gate. Barney has been working on his garden for about 25 years and it has lots of flowering trees and shrubs. There was a gorgeous purple tree blooming that we were lucky enough to see as it only blooms a few days a year I believe. This is a very intimate garden and I believe it's best enjoyed with a small group. The hummingbirds were a bit shy while we were there, but we did get to see all of the different types, including the "Doctor Bird" (red-billed streamertail hummingbird) that is the Jamaican national bird. It is incredibly fast and has an extremely long, scissor shaped tail. Also saw little "sugar birds" and the mango hummingbird. Barney served us wonderful sour sop punch that was absolutely delicious. It was a very hot day and it really hit the spot. I'm including a few pictures that I took of the birds, punch, and the purple tree. I hope you will enjoy this garden as much as we did.

5 Thank Kathy F
Barney2472014, Owner at Barney's Flower & Hummingbird Garden Jamaica, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
What a nice Easter egg from you! A very warm THANK YOU for the review. Seasonal greetings from Barney. Hope to see you one day again.