“Not for comfort-seeking travelers”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Errol's Sunset Cafe and Guesthouse
Ranked #31 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
“Not for comfort-seeking travelers”
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Our family stayed at Errol's for one week in February. We had read good reviews at TripAdvisor, and the photos made the place seem very inviting. The pictures did not lie - it is in a beautiful, fairly uncrowded location, and, yes, you can see the sunset right there at Errol's. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and at no time did we feel threatened or unsafe.
We could easily walk to bars and restaurants at other hotels for a good breakfast (Traveler's and Coral Seas Beach Resort were close by), and it's the policy on the beach aside from within the all-inclusives that you can use the pools at other hotels if you're willing to buy a drink or some food. In addition, we could easily walk downtown, since Errol's is almost at the end of the resort part of the beach. The owner assisted us in hiring a driver so that we could travel to YK Falls and see the countryside. The driver was polite, calm and most importantly, a good driver. In addition, the owners of Errol's referred us to a transport service (Lloyd's) from the airport so that we could make arrangements in advance of our arrival. The owner of Errol discouraged us from talking with men on the beach away from Errol's who appeared to be harmless and offered to take us on trips. My husband did get offers of marijuana, but the "hustlers" quickly moved on when he said no. Every hotel had a security guard at the corner of their property, consequently we could walk freely at night, taking care only not to get to close to the dogs walking the beach who looked somewhat mangy.
The problem specifically at Errol's was that the menu was very sparse, and the rooms varied in quality. We had to change rooms because the air conditioner was leaking onto the bed, and the room was dark and had a musty odor. The owners of Errol's cheerfully accommodated us, and allowed us to move to the room across from ours. Our new room was brighter and had no musty odor.
The TV didn't have very good reception, but that may be a widespread problem. We had to choose a small refrig or a TV. We chose to have both, so we paid extra. We also paid more because there were four of us in the room - two adults and two children. We felt comfortable talking with the staff, and while we were at Errol's we were not bothered by hustlers in any way ( and we had young kids with us!) Sure we bought some cut-up fruit and two Jamaican flag-colored bracelets, but that's all. Errol's plays music 24/7 and has a well-stocked bar, but, at least at the time we were there, very limited items on the menu. During our stay, we ordered french fries, cheese burgers (not like a good cheeseburger, not even like a Burger King burger - BK, is, by the way, in town), chicken and fish because that's all that seemed to be available even though there was a posted menu on a sign on the beach. We ate breakfast at Traveler's or Coral Seas and dinner at various locations - most notably, Kuyaba (more than once). This would not be a good location for honeymooners, families or married couples seeking all the comforts of home. It would be for the adventurous traveler who wouldn't mind putting up with inconvenience in order to see and get to know more of the real Jamaica with its ups and downs and casual attitude toward tourism.

• Liked — The location on the beach - away from the all-inclusives
  • Disliked — The sparseness
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Downfall

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed April 12, 2007

Jamaica was awful. Almost without exception, Jamaica was one big scam after another. What I am about to write about Errol's is true of every place we saw from Montego Bay, Negril, Savanna La Mar, and everywhere in between.

Errol's was horrific. The reviews praising it are obviously written by the owner, manager, or a friend. The place was incredibly run-down, dirty, unsecure, and teeming with hustlers that buzz around like relentless pests. The prices were outrageous for decrepit conditions. We had the misfortune to converse with countless scheisters who approached us every second, who unwittingly talked of how rough times are these days and how tourism has really declined. Do they wonder why??!!! I've never been so harrassed in my life. The #1 occupation in Negril seems to be "hustle tourists" The place is in shambles because all the men are stoned 24/365, and everywhere we went there were dozens of them congregating doing nothing but waiting for a tourist to scam.

• Liked — Garfield was friendly
  • Disliked — Staff was most interested in getting into my wallet than maintaining a nice establishment.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank robt77burke

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

phoenix, az
Reviewed March 25, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Errol's for Spring Break on 7 Mile Beach. We enjoy hostels because you can meet up with other traveller's, you get taken care of more personally by the caretakers, and also have a more low key time on a budget. This is exactly what we got from Errol's! When we arrived, Mikey the cook helped us to our clean and comfortable room. The place is not fancy at all, but rather cozy and bare bones for having maximum fun! We stayed in the cottage closest to the outdoor kitchen, and was very pleased with our room- A.C. if we wanted, fan, very spacious and clean double room and bathroom, hot water, and a patio. A walk from there a few feet leads to the outdoor open air dining area and 24 hour bar right on the sand. Errol used to run the hostel but passed away, so now it is run by extended family members, so it's very laid back and quaint, and they know the value of taking care of 'their own', and as guests my husband and I were included in their extended family for our stay. Mikey, Garfield, Patroy, Lloyd, Janet, Lawyer, and Andre took very good care of us. The food was superb, serving local dishes at any hour, and the bar was always thumping out the island ragga jams, where you could dance a bit or just chill out. The staff was always looking out for us with the occasional hustler on the beach, and also with helping us rent cars and mopeds, take day trips to wherever on the island with other hostellers, and get us anything else we ever needed the first time we asked. The location is excellent, right in the middle of 7 Mile Beach. We were trying to avoid the crazy day time partying of Spring Breakers, and we did just that by lying on our plot of beach, and taking walks through the other plots of beaches along the stretch. At night they helped us find the local night life, and showed us around to live ragga bands and parties on the beaches at Alfred's, the Jungle, and Rick's Cafe. We also got 30 minute excellent massages right on the sand by Salome, and any extra help we needed from the resident beach rastas hanging about. We had much more than just a vacation at Errol's-- the people of Jamaica were truly a loving and fun bunch, and the family at Errol's gave us one of our best vacations of our lives. Not only that, but they made us feel safe and as friends, and hope to keep in touch in the future.

• Liked — Location and family member staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank narihood
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 1, 2007

Great vacation. Went for Spring Break my last year of college in 2003. The service was great. Nice to come back after a night out to relax at the bar for a night cap and some jerk chicken. The staff was very accomodating. They helped teach a white midwesterner how to dance like a Jamaican. Jay even took us out on a countryside tour to his home and showed his garden to us. A good fit for any kind of tourist. Family, couples, spring breakers....I will make a return trip!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brandtdr
Chicago
Reviewed January 16, 2007

My best friend retired to Negril this last year. I had to take my
family out of the cold and feel the sun on my face. It was everything
I had dreamed it would be. Our flights were on time. We collected our
suitcases and walked outside to find "Clives Transportation" upon the
advice of my retired friend.
My friend promised me that I would not have to dip into the kids
college funds in order to enjoy a Jamaican vacation for five glorious
days of watching my kids play in the sand.
We stayed at Errol's Sunset Cafe and Guesthouse. The room was $70 a
night for all four of us, My husband, and two boys, 9 and 3, in high
season - January-. I was able to feed my kids at their cafe, who was
willing to cook whenever I asked, or at nearby recommended restaurants
for less than I could feed them in Chicago. I bought a pineapple
"pine" as Jamaican's call it, from a lady selling local fruit from a
basket. Mickey, the chef at Errol's cut it up for me to give them.
Most nights, we just ate there. The food was great and the company was
better.
My husband went off to golf (which cost, but not too much) and I looked
for shells with my friend. One day, we took my boys and my friend's
kids to YS falls. My boys thought it was better than Disney World. We
played with the kids on rafts in the ocean, body surfing until they
slept like rocks. We went to Ricks to see the cliff divers and play in
their pool.
It was nice to come back to a large room with two full beds and a
shower big enough to hose down both the boys at the same time. We had
a TV and had brought a portable DVD player and discs when we just need
to veg out. Although we had these creature comforts, I still feel like
we caught the "rhythm" of the island. I think we all felt like we were
visiting in a friend's house, in a wonderfully strange and beautiful
environment. I got to feel the sun and vibe, have a great time. And,
I got to see my friend. I promised her that I would be back every year.
Next year, Spring Break!

• Liked — friendly and accomodating staff
  • Disliked — no internet connection on site, but I was able to connect right next door
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank KellyChicago
Colorado
Reviewed January 9, 2007

If going to Negril to enjoy the sun and drinks, it can't get better than Errol's Sunset Cafe, the people there know where and how to get the best deals and they will pamper you til you tell them to stop, the drinks are poured like they should be and the music is played 24hours a day, security is awesome and the food is awesome as well, go get irie at Errol's you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — They were 25 steps to the ocean
  • Disliked — Rooms could have been cleaner upon arrival, but they will clean just ask.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Errol's and enjoy your time, it's a awesome budget time on the beach
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family